As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough - GOLFBALL CAMS ON THE NOSE

Andres125sx wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 09:55

So if a camera provide a great POV but it´s ugly you won´t use it? :wtf: :wtf:
But we won't use it. The director will choose to use it, maybe, if we're lucky. We won't get to pan the camera around but we will have to look at it every time we look at a car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 09:55
jagunx51 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 08:28
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:25
360 cameras rules, they provide unique points of view, and don´t worry about aesthetics, the halo will bring all your attention :mrgreen:

I also guess and hope in next season (or should I say this season at this point?) it will be integrated into the car much better, that´s a bolt on solution for testing
..... ehmmmm, the point is, it looks ugly
So if a camera provide a great POV but it´s ugly you won´t use it? :wtf: :wtf:
it wasn't about that it's not positive having camera's like this, the point is the big ball looks hideous.

i wasn't aware though that there already has been a development as shown a page back that there is a much flatter version which does look acceptable and decent. in other words, the golfball cam won't appear, thank lord.

now i am curious to see whether they are going to futher improve features like this by also gettign rid of the hideous T-bar, sidecams and nosecams as they have been around forever in their shape. the 'updated' plaque shown a page back would be great to replace the airbox and 'shoulder cam' versions aswell as the nosecams. it would improve the looks by a huge amount. question is whether a camera like that doesn't give a distorted view, but it's good then there's attention to this.

so good to see this going somewhere positive. i sat perplexed looking at the original golfball cam.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

ehmmmm, the point is, it looks ugly
To You!
It is in the eye of the beholder. So many on this site think their opinions and ideas are the be all to end all.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ennis

It's not very pretty close up, but how noticeable would it be from a distance? Once you've thrown in disguising paint jobs, the final version likely not looking like the 'test' version and Red Bull's ability to somehow find an aero advantage due to it...

I think it will give a great account of the true speed of F1 from a very good angle. I do want more helmet-cam though.

ChrisDanger

The thread title is a bit ridiculous.

Manoah2u

have you seen the op?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 12:39
have you seen the op?
Yes. Why do you ask? Tobi's tweet was nicely factual. Thread title is heavily biased towards your very negative opinion. I don't think the aesthetics of the camera is a big deal, for the new views it will introduce? (Have you seen passing moves shown with a rotating camera? They're great!) And I also don't think the 2018 cars are "ugly". I'm not sure why you need to introduce such negativity in your thread titles.

ALSO ALL CAPS?

turbof1

ChrisDanger wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 14:18
Manoah2u wrote:
have you seen the op?
Yes. Why do you ask? Tobi's tweet was nicely factual. Thread title is heavily biased towards your very negative opinion. I don't think the aesthetics of the camera is a big deal, for the new views it will introduce? (Have you seen passing moves shown with a rotating camera? They're great!) And I also don't think the 2018 cars are "ugly". I'm not sure why you need to introduce such negativity in your thread titles.

ALSO ALL CAPS?
I did see rotating images on indycars. Although it's very much a welcome change, I did not really find it that spectacular. Then again, the images came from a race on an oval, so I have to guess that overtake manoeuvres through Ricciardo's dive bombs would look awesome.

I also find it weird to introduce it right in front of the Halo. I mean isn't the pillar just going to block any view on the driver? Why not just replace a camera already positioned on the airbox?

I also think we'll get accustomed to it. It's only a small orb on the chassis, it will not really be an eye catcher. Compared to the much clumsier looking and just bigger new part the Halo... .

I'm more concerned about what we all have on the nose already: pillar of the halo, on the sides normal cameras, antennae, high speed crash camera, winglets,... . I mean it's slowly turning into a rack full with trinkets instead of a smooth and sleak part of the car.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisDanger

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't beautiful enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

turbof1 wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 15:02
I did see rotating images on indycars. Although it's very much a welcome change, I did not really find it that spectacular. Then again, the images came from a race on an oval, so I have to guess that overtake manoeuvres through Ricciardo's dive bombs would look awesome.

I also find it weird to introduce it right in front of the Halo. I mean isn't the pillar just going to block any view on the driver? Why not just replace a camera already positioned on the airbox?

I also think we'll get accustomed to it. It's only a small orb on the chassis, it will not really be an eye catcher. Compared to the much clumsier looking and just bigger new part the Halo... .

I'm more concerned about what we all have on the nose already: pillar of the halo, on the sides normal cameras, antennae, high speed crash camera, winglets,... . I mean it's slowly turning into a rack full with trinkets instead of a smooth and sleak part of the car.
I used to watch the Aussie V8 supercars and it was always cool to see the camera following passing cars moving around from the POV of the car being passed. It gets you right into the action, especially there where the cars tend to bounce around a bit more than I imagine Indycars would on an oval. And although this new camera can be directed rearwards perhaps seeing the driver is not the main point, although the thin (16mm?) Halo upright might only block a small portion of the driver's head. We'll have to see.

Thanks for the lowercase title edit.

Chalke

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

I think either Tobi is taking 2+2 and getting 5 here or the post is being misinterpreted - Yes, the cars next year will probably have a 360 camera, but that picture shows a commercially available 360 Fly Camera (I recognise it because we've got one at my office) which has been grafted onto a custom mount.

Probably Red Bull are taking some footage for their own YouTube channel, promo video or similar but I imagine the final FIA camera will be more refined, in the same way we didn't just get GoPros stuck to the side of the nosecone when they decided to add Hi Def cameras on each car.

Link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/360fly-Panoram ... B01JUEPB0K

Manoah2u

ChrisDanger wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 14:18
Manoah2u wrote:
have you seen the op?

ALSO ALL CAPS?
what's your problem with it, can't handle people having differenting opinions? sheesh, you don't find them ugly, other people do. you don't like negativity yet you are negative towards people having a different opinion. ok mate.

ChrisDanger

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't beautiful enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 19:52
can't handle people having differenting opinions? sheesh, you don't find them ugly, other people do. you don't like negativity yet you are negative towards people having a different opinion. ok mate.
No dude, it's not that you have a different opinion, it's the way you express it in an overly emotional, ranty kinda way and in such a prominent place like a thread title ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU "SHOUT" ABOUT IT (caps used simply to mirror your style) and write things like:

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 00:50

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

who is in charge of this stuff!!!

Manoah2u

i must have forgotten or missed that you were king and authority of this board?

strad

You often forget your manners as well. ;-)
I believe you could express your same views without being so obnoxious about it..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 20:41
i must have forgotten or missed that you were king and authority of this board?
No, I never was, nor did I ever claim to be. I'm allowed to express my opinion, right? I enjoy this sport, yet when I visit this board the negativity I see here takes away some of that enjoyment. I've been catching up on the WEC season from the races hosted on their official YouTube channel, and I'm really enjoying the racing. I realised part of that enjoyment is that I'm not exposed to threads talking about how boring the racing is, or how badly designed the tracks are, or a whole host of other negativity that I see here with F1. This thread is one of the best (i.e. worst) examples. Maybe I should just stay away and enjoy the racing in peace.

Cheers.