As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nokivasara

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

I think we all can get our opinions expressed without being overly dramatic or exaggerated in our writing.
I couldn't care less about the looks of a camera on a F1 car. I don't think twice about liveries either, but others do and thats fine.

Manoah2u

ChrisDanger wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 20:56
Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 20:41
i must have forgotten or missed that you were king and authority of this board?
No, I never was, nor did I ever claim to be. I'm allowed to express my opinion, right? I enjoy this sport, yet when I visit this board the negativity I see here takes away some of that enjoyment. I've been catching up on the WEC season from the races hosted on their official YouTube channel, and I'm really enjoying the racing. I realised part of that enjoyment is that I'm not exposed to threads talking about how boring the racing is, or how badly designed the tracks are, or a whole host of other negativity that I see here with F1. This thread is one of the best (i.e. worst) examples. Maybe I should just stay away and enjoy the racing in peace.

Cheers.
tons of threads about flaming and burning f1 drivers like a 'kimi performance' and you think a thread where people with reason raise an eyebrow over a camera that is built like a zit about to pop when first coming across it in the news media, whilst already dealing with the absolutely functional but absolutely ugly halo too, and you call this one of the worst examples on the board :lol:

there's having an opinion, having a different opinion, and then there's just nagging. nobody said you can't have an opinion, it's clearly you who can't handle other people thinking differently and then when confronted with it 'we' are negative? you turned it into something negative, whilst this above all is a thread discussing how on earth devices like in the op come to be in F1 further degrading the much discussed less pleasant looks f1 cars have 'evolved' into due to rules restrictions above all.

there's function over form, and then there's just the fact things can and do look hideous.

is it spewing negativity if you call the stepped and other formed noses of just a few years ago for what they are - ugly af? hell the entire world was making memes and laughing on it. but suddenly we can't discuss it anymore because it's negative?

i really don't get your issue with this. i'm not even seeing you come up with arguments on why it's not ugly or making things worse so i'm sorry to say - i hope i'm reading this wrong - that you only came into this thread to start a beef or cause trouble. after all, you did not come up with the point that you feel different about it, you came barging in bashing around about how you feel this is the most negative thread in the history of f1 discussions.
for real bro, relax and chill. i don't get how you get so upset from a simple topic. :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Juzh

Here's actual footage of the 360 camera from abu dhabi:

It can only be watched on facebook, i don't think they uploaded it to youtube or anywhere else.

I gotta say sensation of speed is much better than with the regular T-cam.

Manoah2u

wow. indeed, makes it all the more impressive what these guys do.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Juzh

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 00:41
wow. indeed, makes it all the more impressive what these guys do.
And this is a relatively steady lap at 1:40.1. Almost 4s slower than pole position.

Chubbs

I think these cameras are terrible. The image is totally distorted, theres no point in looking sideways or backwards because you can't see anything and the quality of the video is usually crap unless you have a really good internet connection.

It always irritates me when you're watching an onboard overtake and the camera then swings to the side to follow the other car. You lose all perspective of what's going on. Part of the excitement for me is to be able to watch the driver at work. You can't do that if the camera is moving all over the place.

I think they should keep a static T-cam, add some other static cameras in various places and use them when necessary.

They should also look to do what Indycar does with the visor cam laps. Those videos are incredible.
Chubbs

Manoah2u

you can control the camera yourself, as it films all the sides at the same time.

also, it's supposed to get in front of the halo, i wonder wheter it's not actually going to get mounted on the front V of the halo? would give a good perspective.
given, the fisheye lens makes it look distorted but then its just 1 camera like this. with a little luck the others (T) are going to get replaced too but not a 360 degree
but normal version which won't have the fisheye effect.

DiogoBrand

Seriously guys: talk about overreaction!
The only part that matters on that golf ball is the little transparent dome at the top, and it was clearly a temporary solution. So what makes you think they won't integrate that way better in the end, just like this?
I know we're all traumatized because of the halo and the new F1 logo, but there's no need to create a big fuss about everything now, it's like one member stated: "It's not like they just fixed GoPros to the sides of the car when they decided to fix the cars with cameras.

Noetiepoerker26

Completely agree with you. That wasn't even a solution at first, they are were probably just tyring out a very early prototype.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

Manoah2u

DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 17:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPaVLP0X0AE8CrF.jpg
The only part that matters on that golf ball is the little transparent dome at the top, and it was clearly a temporary solution. So what makes you think they won't integrate that way better in the end, just like this?
https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... g-rb13.jpg
I know we're all traumatized because of the halo and the new F1 logo, but there's no need to create a big fuss about everything now, it's like one member stated: "It's not like they just fixed GoPros to the sides of the car when they decided to fix the cars with cameras.
the media articles i came across with at first did not imply or suggest that it would be different than the 'golfball' at first, hence i did assume - incorrectly - that it was going to be like that. There was no image like the one you posted below immediately at that moment or i simply didn't come across it, only that that object was going to be placed right in front of the halo.

i'm glad it's not the actual case though.

foxmulder_ms

I hope it stays as golf ball. Little R2 unit. LOVED it! :mrgreen:

DiogoBrand

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 20:09
DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 17:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPaVLP0X0AE8CrF.jpg
https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... g-rb13.jpg
the media articles i came across with at first did not imply or suggest that it would be different than the 'golfball' at first, hence i did assume - incorrectly - that it was going to be like that. There was no image like the one you posted below immediately at that moment or i simply didn't come across it, only that that object was going to be placed right in front of the halo.

i'm glad it's not the actual case though.
I don't blame you, I just don't get why, even after the picture of the small camera was posted, people didn't stop complaining.

lio007

I don't know, if it was already mentioned. Please take into consideration, that the picture in the OP is not from 2017, but from 2016!

Manoah2u

wait wut?

well then, media channels are reaaaally cheap with the news.

lio007

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 10:35
wait wut?

well then, media channels are reaaaally cheap with the news.
Yes, RBR used that sort of cam in the post AD-test in 2016!