General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
anthonyfa18
26
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by anthonyfa18 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm

dose any one have a photo of honda mgu-h

godlameroso
354
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 pm

I could have sworn Honda made this year's power unit slightly heavier and more robust than last year. Maybe they go back to the lighter design towards the end of the year, or next year's design when they get a better grasp of where they can and can't push things.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

GhostF1
149
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by GhostF1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 pm
I could have sworn Honda made this year's power unit slightly heavier and more robust than last year. Maybe they go back to the lighter design towards the end of the year, or next year's design when they get a better grasp of where they can and can't push things.
They did. Tanabe said the PU is slightly bigger and heavier this year. What's interesting is that Key, Marko and Newey have all said: "the Honda is technically very interesting, it's smaller and lighter than what we currently have".

So even with the increases, the unit is Impressive, so whatever they had in 2015 must of been incredibly small..

PlatinumZealot
361
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by PlatinumZealot » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 am

anthonyfa18 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm
dose any one have a photo of honda mgu-h
Good luck finding a photo of ANY MGUH!
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by carisi2k » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 am

godlameroso wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 pm
I could have sworn Honda made this year's power unit slightly heavier and more robust than last year. Maybe they go back to the lighter design towards the end of the year, or next year's design when they get a better grasp of where they can and can't push things.
They made a larger unit and not necessarily a heavier unit. The extra space has allowed them to put a larger turbo in compared to when at mclaren. It is however still smaller then the Renault unit.

carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by carisi2k » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:57 am

I also understand that some other size increase and performance improvement has come in the form of the larger airbox in the STR13 and the future RB15. Don't be surprised if you see a rb-14h at the Hungaroring test.

godlameroso
354
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 am

Really?! That's very interesting, not completely unexpected, but very interesting non the less.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by carisi2k » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 am

godlameroso wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 am
Really?! That's very interesting, not completely unexpected, but very interesting non the less.
The hungaroring test will be useless for red bull unless they can put the Honda in the rb14 and actually test with 2019 in mind. To be honest Red Bull should have made the switch with TR to Honda in 2018. The extra information Honda would have received would have boosted them 100 fold and there would be no negative energy being wasted in this bitchy divorce with Renault.

The Honda has proven to be the equal of Renault in terms of performance and maybe with the reliability that Honda showed early this year I believe that Red Bull would also have won Bahrain with Daniel in addition to the 3 other victories so far in 2018. I also think that with red bull and STR testing that the ers-h vibration issue in Australia might also have been found beforehand.

roon
444
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by roon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 am
anthonyfa18 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm
dose any one have a photo of honda mgu-h
Good luck finding a photo of ANY MGUH!
Elephant in the room is: none exist. They were too hard to make, and everyone's ashamed to admit it.

Speaking of elephants, just how heavy is this new pu. How much does a horsepower weigh, and what sort of horses are being used for the baseline. What sort of horses do they have in Japan. The big airbox is of no concern to me; it is mostly air with just a thin layer of box.

GhostF1
149
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by GhostF1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 am

roon wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 am
anthonyfa18 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm
dose any one have a photo of honda mgu-h
Good luck finding a photo of ANY MGUH!
Elephant in the room is: none exist. They were too hard to make, and everyone's ashamed to admit it.

Speaking of elephants, just how heavy is this new pu. How much does a horsepower weigh, and what sort of horses are being used for the baseline. What sort of horses do they have in Japan. The big airbox is of no concern to me; it is mostly air with just a thin layer of box.
I wish that info was made public. APPARENTLY (keyword), the RA615H in the MP4-30 was the only PU on the grid to achieve the minimum allowed weight figure of 145kg. Obviously though... everything was undersized, since then it's just risen in complexity.

Honda claimed the RA617H weighed less and was smaller than the 616 in 2016. And we all know about the whole "request of 4cm" debacle in which McLaren refused. Tanabe has since said they've increased the size and weight. So it's probably minor but probably the biggest it's been

HPD
347
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

roon wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 am
What sort of horses do they have in Japan.
Hi.
Image
Sorry I could not resist haha (A little humor without offending anyone, I love them)

If Honda makes changes to adapt to the Red Bull of 2019 and the Red Bull / TR are going to have the same rear part. Can we see a different TR at the end of the year in this area?

HPD
347
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said "we'd be no different to where we are now" had it used Honda engines in 2018.

"We'd have still won the grands prix we won," said Horner.
"Honda are within one per cent of our measurement of where we currently are.

"There's still a significant chunk to get to Ferrari and Mercedes but having the full focus of an OEM like Honda behind us, combined with the fact that with Renault we were becoming more and more the customer as inevitably their focus becomes more centred on their own team, it was absolutely the right timing to go this different path."

"With where we currently are with Renault, the positioning of any box, any juncture, on the engine, is dictated by their own works team," said Horner.
"We have to accommodate whatever Renault Enstone want to adopt. Sometimes we have to make compromises to accommodate that.

"With Honda, we will have the ability to have the discussions in advance to try to optimise the integration between engine and chassis.
"They are earlier on the curve and they have the resource and the capacity.
"One of the biggest issues that probably Renault have struggled with is probably the financial commitment to the R&D process.

"Mercedes have spent a lot of money, and invested heavily, as have Ferrari.
"These power units are extremely complex and you can see now that there are still incremental gains being made with the introduction of each power unit."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13751 ... with-honda

MMMMMMMM
-2
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by MMMMMMMM » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 am

Well, according to http://www.formula1benzing.eu
It’s Ferrari and Mercedes at 1130 hp
Renault at 1110 hp
Honda at 1090 hp

Those figures are presented as maximum power figures in qualifying.
If true, it’ not that bad actually, only 2% off Renault and another 2% to the top.

Brake Horse Power
11
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by Brake Horse Power » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:29 am

"If" you want to rely on those numbers, please take into account the wide powerband of ferrari/mercedes compared to Honda. According to their info the difference is huge..

etusch
92
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by etusch » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 am

MMMMMMMM wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 am
Well, according to http://www.formula1benzing.eu
It’s Ferrari and Mercedes at 1130 hp
Renault at 1110 hp
Honda at 1090 hp

Those figures are presented as maximum power figures in qualifying.
If true, it’ not that bad actually, only 2% off Renault and another 2% to the top.
I don't believe any one close 1050 hp if someone had already reach 1000 hp power