General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

godlameroso wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 04:09
No doubt Red Bull is already working on next year's car. There's no need to develop this one any further, it's easily able to be 3rd fastest, and on occasion can fight for more. It could do that with the current Honda engine, who knows what they come out with next season let alone in a few months.
I suppose the danger here is over stretching. They feel they are secure in 4th, so may extend that little extra to get a shot at the top 4, and maybe overcook it. Cut margins too fine or go for some 50/50 design tweaks that will take the first few races to sort out, then could be on the back foot against a resurgent Renault.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

apexcontrol

Big Tea wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 17:20
godlameroso wrote:
No doubt Red Bull is already working on next year's car. There's no need to develop this one any further, it's easily able to be 3rd fastest, and on occasion can fight for more. It could do that with the current Honda engine, who knows what they come out with next season let alone in a few months.
I suppose the danger here is over stretching. They feel they are secure in 4th, so may extend that little extra to get a shot at the top 4, and maybe overcook it. Cut margins too fine or go for some 50/50 design tweaks that will take the first few races to sort out, then could be on the back foot against a resurgent Renault.
are you talking about redbull ?

Zynerji

roon wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 08:16
Mansell89 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 21:13
They’ve got a full works partnership, two teams worth of data (this will be crucial to developing), and have caught Honda at the right stage of development.
Trouble is, Ferrari and Merc have this as well, plus at a year or more of extra development. Is it possible to leap that divide? Maybe the addition of the RB brain trust will help. For example: in the 2009-2010 era, I assume RB would have suggested to Renault to develop EBD maps. Perhaps another suggestion such as that will again lead the second or third-most powerful engine toward victory.
I remember reading that during the V8 era, RB actually did some in-house development of their Renault engines. I don't think it was dramatic, but I seem to recall an off-hand remark from Cyril or Remi during the early V6 days when everyone was talking of Illen being brought in by RB.

I'll Google for the article, and update if I find it...

Big Tea

apexcontrol wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 17:50
Big Tea wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Yes.

GhostF1

Big Tea wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Honestly... If RBR are behind Renault next year, they've either made some severe PU integration issues (highly doubtful) or the engine goes backwards (again extremely doubtful). Honda power this year would not shift their position forward or backwards at all so I find it hard to believe next year would be worse.. I think RB will almost overcompensate and go the extra mile to make the package more than effective.

The only I'll say is I believe the true title challenge will come 2020 with a confident and experienced package.

Big Tea

GhostF1 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 23:14
Big Tea wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Honestly... If RBR are behind Renault next year, they've either made some severe PU integration issues (highly doubtful) or the engine goes backwards (again extremely doubtful). Honda power this year would not shift their position forward or backwards at all so I find it hard to believe next year would be worse.. I think RB will almost overcompensate and go the extra mile to make the package more than effective.

The only I'll say is I believe the true title challenge will come 2020 with a confident and experienced package.
I don't think they will. But never say never. Would you have foreseen Mclarens demise in a single year?
Not too different. They wanted to move up a rank to where they thought they belonged, and Ooops!

As I say, Red Bull are solidly in 4th, so not looking over their shoulder, but still a large step from Merc and Ferrari, so may need to take a risk to move up, which they already have with the switch to Honda.
But something may be a last second discovery and they decide to include it in next years car, then start on the wrong foot. The teams have all done it at some time, so it is not impossible.

All it would take then is for someone to have the opposite effect, and they could swap over.
I chose Renault, but It could be Haas or Alfa. Force India, anyone.

apexcontrol

Big Tea wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:47
apexcontrol wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 17:50
Big Tea wrote:

Yes.
hahaha if they pull a brawngp then this will happen, renault does not have a good car and they dont have good parts on that car,
they lack funds and they dont have 2 teams.
there more then a sec of pace and still get lapped by the top 3. including redbull.

and you think redbull wil be 4th ?
do you know the difference fund that is huge and next years this we be even more extreem

restless

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 00:01

As I say, Red Bull are solidly in 4th, so not looking over their shoulder, but still a large step from Merc and Ferrari, so may need to take a risk to move up, which they already have with the switch to Honda.
Currently they are 3rd. Why you keep insisting they are 4th atm!?

GhostF1

restless wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 06:34
Big Tea wrote:

I am also confused by this insistence they are 4th...

Sieper

At first I thought it was a type, but now it seems more like a braino :-) RBR is 3rd and before the latest engine updates of the competition could occasionally fight for the victory.

RBR are third and usually lap the Renaults. They have a much bigger budget and next year will have an engine partner with an equally big budget and 20 million not to pay to Renault (which impacts double as RBR can spent elsewhere whilst Renault misses out).

Big Tea

GhostF1 wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 09:58
restless wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Me too, and I wrote it !!! :oops:

apexcontrol

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 14:45
GhostF1 wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 09:58
restless wrote:
Me too, and I wrote it !!! :oops:
hahaha well it happens

bigblue

In an article at grandprix.com Cyril Abiteboul was reported to have said :
He also said Ricciardo had "justified doubts" about Red Bull's Honda engines for 2019.
Hmmm ! Think Ricciardo has justified doubts about the Renault too judging by their current reliability.

GhostF1

bigblue wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:56
He also said Ricciardo had "justified doubts" about Red Bull's Honda engines for 2019.
Hmmm ! Think Ricciardo has justified doubts about the Renault too judging by their current reliability.
Can we ban Cyril from the entire sport? He has some of the worst sportsman qualities. I think it's disgraceful how he talks of other competitors. He has ragged on Honda multiple times since the RBR-Honda deal was announced. I'm struggling to see where he thinks he and Renault stand in comparison???
They are arguably doing worse... If anything it's embarrassing they were equalled (or maybe even surpassed) by a late starting Honda.

Big Tea

GhostF1 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 01:23
bigblue wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:56
Can we ban Cyril from the entire sport? He has some of the worst sportsman qualities. I think it's disgraceful how he talks of other competitors. He has ragged on Honda multiple times since the RBR-Honda deal was announced. I'm struggling to see where he thinks he and Renault stand in comparison???
They are arguably doing worse... If anything it's embarrassing they were equalled (or maybe even surpassed) by a late starting Honda.
I think Horner's name for him,~squirrel irritable~ just sort of fits :D