General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etusch

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

maguetox wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 02:35
Very interesting comments from Gasly

http://www.f1i.com/news/315126-spa-perf ... gasly.html

He stated that Honda will have a couple more of upgrades before the end of the season. This is different from what we are hearing that we will see one upgrade until Texas. I don't see feasible another upgrade after this one.
If I don't remember wrong they didn't say there is only one update. They said there will be improvements or small updates but big one for Austin

HPD

“Looking at where they came from the last couple of years, they have advanced considerably. You very rarely see something get broken. The most important thing is that they want to take things to the limit. They have the means, which is very important if you want to take on the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes. All in all, Honda is a much more serious candidate. They have already been on the test rig and want a lot of gearboxes from us to prepare themselves for the coming year. They are enormously driven and want to do thousands of miles on the test rig.”

Despite the positive perspectives, Max doesn’t expect to be able to fight for the championship immediately next year: “Everyone wants that, but in Formula 1 that’s a tricky thing. At first we will need to take some more steps, but hopefully at the end we will be close. The year after, we should be out in full force.”

Will it be a year of investing? “I think so, but in a positive way. We will in any case know what we will be getting and which steps are being taken.”
https://www.verstappen.nl/en/article/3398/

rogazilla
rogazilla

My favorite part is Honda wants a lot of gear boxes! sounds like they are testing reliability but more likely a lot of different energy management software, solutions and parts at the same time?

dren

They are probably putting lots of miles on the PUs and thus would require several gear boxes since they run them together on the dyno.
Honda!

Big Tea

rogazilla wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 17:12
My favorite part is Honda wants a lot of gear boxes! sounds like they are testing reliability but more likely a lot of different energy management software, solutions and parts at the same time?
They probably still have a fear of harmonics :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Snorked
Snorked

Two part interview with Tanabe: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... rtcom-moto
There is a dynamo here (Milton Keynes), so that it can be turned with a gear box. As the team of Red Bull is in the neighborhood, members of the team came and tested the cooling parts of the car body including the gearbox etc. We can do such tests of course.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 18:59
rogazilla wrote:
:lol: I am scared of the harmonics! I am glad they are receiving lots of them. The amazon documentary showed that Honda engine didn't mate up to a gear box until the day they are firing up the engine in 2017 not long before the first testing day!

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 20:10
Two part interview with Tanabe: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... rtcom-moto
Thenks for the article Snorked!

To translate this link with google translate, you must first register.
You can translate the following link of the original article without registration.

https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/F1-ta ... D=2&nrt=54
The Power of Dreams!

bigblue

Thanks for the link. So it seems the problem all along was the following "It is a frog inside, that is no good, engine experts are in Japan. ", wise words Tanabe-san, no-one wants to find a frog in their engine.

Edit : I think this is part of a Japanese saying, but I'm not sure! Anyway, there appears to be a saying, "the frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean", which is rather nice :-) (see here at jisho.org).
Last edited by bigblue on 30 Aug 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

ray=out
ray=out

rogazilla wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 14:18
Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 18:59
rogazilla wrote:
:lol: I am scared of the harmonics! I am glad they are receiving lots of them. The amazon documentary showed that Honda engine didn't mate up to a gear box until the day they are firing up the engine in 2017 not long before the first testing day!
The whole gearbox vibration saga makes me wonder how much of it was related to the engine and how much was related to the McLaren gearbox. The STR has had no issues with its RBT transmission, but McLaren continues to struggle with gearbox failures this year.

Bence
Bence

bigblue wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 19:11
Thanks for the link. So it seems the problem all along was the following "It is a frog inside, that is no good, engine experts are in Japan. ", wise words Tanabe-san, no-one wants to find a frog in their engine.

Edit : I think this is part of a Japanese saying, but I'm not sure! Anyway, there appears to be a saying, "the frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean", which is rather nice :-) (see here at jisho.org).
Inside the Honda team they called Boullier as frog/frogman...

HPD

langedweil

HuggaWugga !

yener

Why did they fit him in the car during a GP?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

maguetox
maguetox

Bence wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 03:04
bigblue wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 19:11

Inside the Honda team they called Boullier as frog/frogman...
To me is more related to the fact that the to main areas of development are in different locations very well apart one from each other Milton K. and Sakura, that create some logistics and development issues.