General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Bence
Bence

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

This post is just hugely inappropriate in this case.

Genesis
Genesis

Wazari wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 21:59
I just wanted to say thank you to the many well wishes and kind words received of the past months. If I haven't answered your PM's or emails, I apologize as I have tried to get to all of them in a timely manner. I have not been following this Forum. Most of your questions have been the same so I will try and answer them here. First off, I am fine. I had a minor surgical procedure in the spring and everything went well. My daughter is doing well too. I have been in the UK since summer and although it wasn't really planned, I am enjoying my time here and plan on being here until next spring. Next year should be an exciting time for Honda with the additional work of supplying two teams.

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday season and Happy New Year. That's all for now.
I have just joined f1technical today but have been following your posts for many months now.

Thank you Wazari for providing us with such insightful and unique information about Honda which is truly a company that you have a passion for as I can read it in your posts.

It's great to hear you're doing well. I am also really looking forward to seeing what Honda can do next year. Back on the big stage and "ready to fight!"
2019 will be interesting!

Happy holidays.

Snorked
Snorked

Asaki interview - - http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/free/index.p ... 17&tt=1170

Honda PU development manager Asaki 2018 summary: constant evaluation to steady progress. Combined with Red Bull F1 2019 confidence confined to 3 units

Yasuaki Asaki, who is in charge of developing Honda F1's power unit at Honda Technology Institute HRD Sakura in Sakura City, Tochigi Prefecture since the 2018 season, has made a high evaluation that things have progressed almost as planned in the past year , Confidence to the 2019 season when the partnership with Red Bull began.

-------

In December 2017 one year from now, Honda reformed the organization for 2018. Until then, he was abbreviated as a general manager who was concurrently responsible for the site while directing the development of the laboratory, separating development from the site. Toyuji Tanabe, Technical Director, was appointed to the site. And the executive officer Yasuaki Asaki was supposed to command development at HRD Sakura.

Both Tanabe and Asaki are members who know the second term of Honda F1. This time I looked back on Honda's 2018 season, which was the fourth year since I returned to Asaki Executive Officer.

- First of all, please give a frank impression after the 2018 season.

"It was hard work but it was almost within my expectation"

-What is Asaki-san's attention to be going to take the command of F1 in HRD Sakura?

"First of all, let's settle down, we knew that we were doing something that it was useless until 2017. But even if we threw away everything, that would be a start from scratch.Well then, I can not catch up after years even if I introduce a new concept to catch up at once, various troubles occur along with that, and I can be chased by that response. "

"So we decided to fight first with power units based on something that we are currently doing and we will make the next development in the meantime.When we steadily evolve it will speed up the development as a result.Changes in this way I think that he was successful as it is. "

Well, in specifications spec 1 is a developed form from 2017?

"Spec 1 is the Keep Concept of 2017. While fighting the opening battle with spec 1 that increased reliability, we were making the next development progress."

■ Frequent occurrence of troubles in specifications 2 and 3, confidence to survive by 3 units per year in 2019
I introduced specs 2 at the Canadian Grand Prix in June and at the Russian Grand Prix in September, but I was troubled by the trouble.

"The troubles of specs 1 and 2 were parts that were not enough for the parts in the power unit (PU), and that part broke."

"So rather than the basic problem of PU, it was a trouble that occurred because we were not able to see weak parts that were partly in place, and after the improvement there is not the same trouble."

Even in the case of troubles 3, trouble occurred ... ....

"The troubles that came out at spec 3 are the Toro Rosso / Honda, thinking about the Constructors' Championship, and in order to get points, although there was some concern, the engine which was developing at the laboratory was developed It happened because I decided to use it. "

"Although there was a risk, there was a merit that using that engine would also lead to development in 2019. Experience on how to control the engine with higher power than ever, how to set it up and run it up on site Judging that it will lead to the future, I decided to introduce it by consensus of Honda and Toro Rosso "

- What if you score yourself for the 2018 season?

"If you score points individually, you can do as planned almost, so you can do as planned from 70 to 80, but you still can not see the path that stands in the middle of the podium."

- I will also join Red Bull in 2019. Reliability improved in 2018, but still we used eight power units. How do you think about reliability?

"There were problems with two drivers using eight engines in 2018, but there were strategic exchanges to replace the engine if this preliminary ranking is ranked"

"Since Red Bull is expected to be in front of the preliminary ranking, I do not intend to do such a strategy in 2019. So for 2019 we intend to overcome within the regulation of three a year through the season is"

The supply of power units to the Red Bull is hoping for great expectations.

"If you say that there is no anxiety, you will be lying, but because you are worried, now is the time to solidify your feet and steadily advance development, even if your opponent becomes Red Bull There is no reason to change them I believe that I can go there so much if I do it out. "
Both two wheels and Honda Jet. Honda F1, the 2018 system was all-out warfare by the whole company -
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_2.php
before the opening of the season, Asaki said," Because I am a beast, I become a beast beast, that kind of living I can make a good youngster active. "

Specifically, how did you achieve it? Yamamoto Motorsports director says it is like losing the zoo's cage and allowing all animals to freely move and freak.

"If HRD Sakura is a zoo, since Asaki is a fierce animal, I do not like having my moving area fixed, I do not like going into the fence.So it's been a lion or a monkey so far, It was a feeling that we released all that each animal could move only in each cage and released it "You see the whole zoo and work!" Previously, "You are this cage So do not get out of here and do your best in this area "to say" Do not use the whole zoo! "

carisi2k

The ra619 must be quite impressive for marko to be dissing cyril already about his claims of honda lacking 27hp. The improvement at suzuka in qualifying was impressive and hopefully this will move forward next year although I do hope for Danny's sake the Renault makes a massive improvement as well.

Bill
Bill

It's hard to believe Cyril if you consider that Bp are is lagging in the dark art of fuel additives

maguetox
maguetox

Next year its a lot of first for Honda.
  • First time they supply two teams = double the amount of data they will get every race.
    First time they are using a PU arquitectura entering their third year of development (they are using it since 2017 campaign).
    First time with a top team and top chassis / aereo.
    First time they will have a fuel and oil supplier for their own.
    First time they will have the RBR test rig for their own, not sharing it with Renault.
Reliability is the big question mark of next year.

etusch

maguetox wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 22:21
  • First time they supply two teams = double the amount of data they will get every race.
    First time they are using a PU arquitectura entering their third year of development (they are using it since 2017 campaign).
    First time they will have the RBR test rig for their own, not sharing it with Renault.
Redbull not expecting from Honda to finish season with 3 engine. Probably they will comprimise between power and reliability. First power ( enough for fight to win) then reliability ( as less as engine usage not damage to CC fight)

marmer
marmer

[quote=maguetox post_id=806616 time=1545423703 user_id=29963]

[list]First time they supply two teams = double the amount of data they will get every race.
First time they will have the RBR test rig for their own, not sharing it with Renault.[/list]

[/quote]

McLaren fans triggered with that statement about top team lol

Alexf1
Alexf1

Honda indicated recently that their aim is to use only 3 engines per car next season. That surprised me because then I wonder what Franz Tost meant when he said that also next year Toro Rosso likes to be in the Guinea pig role. Maybe chassis development parts or start using the next engine upgrade a few races earlier than Red Bull and then use the previous spec on fridays so they stay within the 3 engines per season too. If introduction of an engine spec difference few races apart per team is even permitted.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Honda's biggest challenge will be that 3-engine limit. They've never been in a position to even try to meet any recent engine limit so it will be their first time for this very challenging requirement. If the RB cars get through 2019 with 4 or 5 combustion engines each then a very solid reliability achievement for Honda. I think Toro Rosso in 2019 could still be a bit of a test team for powertrains and go through several more than RB.

ME4ME

Worth considering is also that reliability can be a function of relative performance. If Red Bull Honda are sufficiently quick so that they can lead races from the front, then they can de-rate their PU and make it last as long as required. If not, they might choose to introduce another PU and buy themselves more duty cyles at a higher power state.

Knowing Red Bull they'll do both. They can reach the podium while starting last at a weekend where they introduce a new unit. A fourth or even a fifth complete unit doesn't ruin the season; lack of performance does. Thus that will be the ultimate test in my opinion.

lio007

ah...These are the months where most information is desired, but the least is getting into public. I'd really, really like to know some informations about 2019-preperations (is the final 2019-spec on the dynos, do they still encounter reliability problems with the final spec on the dynos, do they have some unique concepts on their PU's, can they run proper performance levels in race trim, do they expect some performace gains from Exxons products … unfortunately this would be classified as pretty secretive informations and will therefore never reach the public).

Alexf1
Alexf1

It was simulator time with Honda engine this past week for Verstappen so maybe they hooked up a real 2019 engine on the rig

McHonda
McHonda

maguetox wrote:
They had Exxon Mobil in 2015.

mzso
mzso

maguetox wrote:
It seems like you messed up the list items...
WTF is this supposed to be: "First time they are using a PU arquitectura "?