General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gandharva

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

etusch wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 14:20
Gasly's experiance with Honda engine is not brings advantage to him.
It's not the experience with the Honda engine. It's the experience with the Honda staff. The Japanese have a very different approach to doing some things than the rest of the world. Gasly can definitely help Max on this topic. This can lead to better communication and will help to bring Honda/RBR relationship forward.

ispano6

Gasly definitely earned the respect of the Honda F1 staff and in some ways has a relationship advantage but overall Honda is excited at the prospects of
the package the RB top team will produce. There hasn't been much mention from Honda regarding driver preference but they fully intend to raise their drivers through the feeder series with the hopes of getting their 2-3 drivers F1 testing time.
Gasly's comments toward the end of the season are understandable since everyone from both STR and Honda wanted to finish the season strong, but it ended up that the last rounds were used to test new ideas and developments and Tost acknowledged this as well as the chassis shortcomings.
Honda should be able to gain significant understanding of optimal tyre working range through RB and hopefully this helps Honda apply those learnings to STR as well.

ME4ME

Nice video. Look at the amount of people at 02:08

mzso

ispano6 wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 11:15
sn809 wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 05:41
Would be interesting if Kvyat is able to beat Max
I was thinking Kvyat might still have an outside chance of replacing Gasly at RB sometime in the future. Kvyat had some impressive performances (3rd in China) where he seemed to be faster than Ricciardo on some tracks. If the STR14 is anywhere as competitive as the RB15, I expect to see Kvyat right up there with Gasly and maybe closer to Verstappen.
I, like most people, expect him to be slow and crashy as usual.

towncaptain

'Most people' expect him to be fast and crashy

ispano6

With less pressure from not being on the main team and better equipment Kvyat can flourish. Maybe Kvyat and the RB13 allowed for later braking than the Ferraris and ironic that Vettel who was the victim of Kvyats torpedoes became the torpedo instead in 2018. As long as Kvyat is taking out Ferraris and not other Honda powered cars I'll be ok with it :)

Those who think he's slow are mistaken though. He just needs to work on being less over-ambitious and get a better feel for the braking limit and avoid costly mistakes when in the points. His personality is much more reserved and in a way I think that will work nicely with Honda staff. Kvyat and Albon should be visiting Japan and getting acclimated if they haven't already and I expect the duo to be eager to show what they can do with the same engine behind them as Ver/Gas. Hopefully the car is good!

Big Tea

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 04:22
With less pressure from not being on the main team and better equipment Kvyat can flourish. Maybe Kvyat and the RB13 allowed for later braking than the Ferraris and ironic that Vettel who was the victim of Kvyats torpedoes became the torpedo instead in 2018. As long as Kvyat is taking out Ferraris and not other Honda powered cars I'll be ok with it :)

Those who think he's slow are mistaken though. He just needs to work on being less over-ambitious and get a better feel for the braking limit and avoid costly mistakes when in the points. His personality is much more reserved and in a way I think that will work nicely with Honda staff. Kvyat and Albon should be visiting Japan and getting acclimated if they haven't already and I expect the duo to be eager to show what they can do with the same engine behind them as Ver/Gas. Hopefully the car is good!
Hopefully he will have passed the point where he feels he has to prove himself every time and will take onboard the lesson that just being fast does not keep your job, and we will see a more moderated approach while still having the speed where needed.

Never one of his biggest fans, but I do believe he is a very worthwhile driver who was made a scapegoat.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

HPD

Nothing new. But interesting words from Brawn

https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... et-advies/

Capharol

would be nice if we can go BTT here and talk about Honda and not if Kyat is fast & crazy or not

ispano6

This is a general topic that encompasses the general feel of Honda fans and the drivers that will be under Honda fans microscope.

Don't see why it needs to be so heavily scrutinized. If it doesn't tickle your pickle just carry on.

Certainly not as bad as the honda engine thread that has become an engine knowledge ego trip.

Wouter

jesa7271 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 09:08
here we go again

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel- ... 24171.html
Marko also said that the collaboration between ex-Mercedes engine boss Mario Illien (69) and Honda would be limited. Honda had hired the Swiss engine genius to combat the strong vibrations of the Honda internal combustion engine. The result is that the full power of the Japanese hybrid engine, whose horsepower theoretically should be higher than that of the Renault engine, could never be fully retrieved. Apparently Illien did not have the brilliant idea. Honda wants to solve the problems now anyway alone. Marko is in this case very clear: "For this purpose, appropriate measures have been initiated."
The question is whether it is about the 2019 engine and whether the problems have already been solved or are they working on it to solve it, because that is not very clear.
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

autobild... there is at least 50% chance this article is a fairy tale.

mzso

HPD wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 13:42
Nothing new. But interesting words from Brawn

https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... et-advies/
Also available in english: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... n/4319248/

lio007

gandharva wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:43
autobild... there is at least 50% chance this article is a fairy tale.
And on top oft that, the headline suggests something very different than actually written in the article!