General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mzso
mzso

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Capharol wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 14:25
exactly, but somehow I get the feeling people wanna to see Honda fail,no matter how good they do, at least it sound so in many posts i have read.
It's trendy to continue mock Honda, because they had issues in the past years...

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:14
Capharol wrote:
exactly, but somehow I get the feeling people wanna to see Honda fail,no matter how good they do, at least it sound so in many posts i have read.
It's trendy to continue mock Honda, because they had issues in the past years...
The brits have a quip that mentions having the last laugh longest, don't know how it carries over into Japanese, or Austrian.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:09
mzso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:14
Capharol wrote:
The brits have a quip that mentions having the last laugh longest, don't know how it carries over into Japanese, or Austrian.
I think you mean:

"The one who gets the best out of the battle at the end, is the actual winner."

Derjenige, der am Ende das Beste aus der Schlacht herausholt, ist der eigentliche Gewinner.
The Power of Dreams!

RonDennis
RonDennis

Capharol wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:47
The engine went through puberty through the 1st half of 2018, in the second half the changes finished, and now they're busy in the gym working out, getting that strength and cardio.
In my opinion if you're a F1 Fan you like to see all teams preform well (with a slight favouritism for 1 team of course) but wishing or hoping a engine/manufacturer blows up or having loads of problem is just pathetic.
We all want to see wheel-to-wheel battles on the track with 20 cars till the end of a race and till the end of a season.
I do, I'm just saying that I didn't see the major improvements everyone is talking about. That's my opinion, nothing to do with them hoping to do bad because it could actually result in losing two teams and Honda. I've been following F1 for a long time and sometimes it's good not to believe everything that's get written or said.

GhostF1
GhostF1

RonDennis wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 22:06
Capharol wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:47
The engine went through puberty through the 1st half of 2018, in the second half the changes finished, and now they're busy in the gym working out, getting that strength and cardio.
In my opinion if you're a F1 Fan you like to see all teams preform well (with a slight favouritism for 1 team of course) but wishing or hoping a engine/manufacturer blows up or having loads of problem is just pathetic.
We all want to see wheel-to-wheel battles on the track with 20 cars till the end of a race and till the end of a season.
I do, I'm just saying that I didn't see the major improvements everyone is talking about. That's my opinion, nothing to do with them hoping to do bad because it could actually result in losing two teams and Honda. I've been following F1 for a long time and sometimes it's good not to believe everything that's get written or said.
It's interesting you think there has been minimal improvement this season. I feel like it's been obvious, with multiple glaringly obvious facts of the complete opposite. It strikes me that the opinion "their progress was marginal" was extrapolated from reading the results page after each GP, nothing more...

Like those people who keep trumpeting "look at the PU usage, it's woeful". It's a tired argument that isn't even remotely representative of the truth if you actually followed the season and direct comments from STR/RBR/Honda heads (not media altered tripe)

foneFanatiq

If you look at 2017 season compared to 2018 season with TR, the jump In both performance and reliability is absolutely evident.

It May not seem as though because TR chassis was not that great.
An example of such would be the season Williams has had with arguably the best Power unit on the grid. The chassis means just as much as the PU when looking at only results.

Capharol
Capharol

foneFanatiq wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 01:58
If you look at 2017 season compared to 2018 season with TR, the jump In both performance and reliability is absolutely evident.

It May not seem as though because TR chassis was not that great.
An example of such would be the season Williams has had with arguably the best Power unit on the grid. The chassis means just as much as the PU when looking at only results.
exactly my saying, where were Williams with a supposedly better engine, or Sauber, besides Leclerc, also with a supposedly better engine.
Besides that TR didn't updated there car as they should normally do in a season, probably because they knew they gonna be testing the Honda engine for RB.

maybe the way i think is a bit pragmatic and blind, but when we believe the press the Ferrari-engine of 2017 should have been better then the Renault engine, still RB or Renault where better.....
to get to the point: No i don't always believe what the press writes but some of them aren't there for click-bait and do write actual true facts... you just need to know which ones does and which ones doesn't

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

gandharva

Totally unexpected! ;)

Alexf1
Alexf1

Haha, indeed: Toro Rosso will be Red Bulls testing team again.
Could be beneficial for them though if they start with the more agressive tuned variant and it proves to be surprisingly reliable.
But are you allowed to start the season with 2 different spec engines?
I remember engines had a homologation date before start of the season.

Zynerji

Alexf1 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:39
Could be beneficial for them though if they start with the more agressive tuned variant and it proves to be surprisingly reliable.
I believe the software can be different per team.

etusch

Alexf1 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:39
Why do you think this news is true?
Toro Rosso has an obvious role from start of its life and this hasn't worth as news because everyone knew it.
Now their car can be used as test mule for new engine everytime new spec is ready to test (1 for big update before the end of first half, generally for small updates).
Honda can bring 2 different specs to winter tests. Redbull can use solid one to more km and Toro Rosso can use experimental spec to test more things. Then this aproach can go on during 2019 season.
Or they will start season with same spec and then Toro Rosso take update first for testing it, for tuning it, then, when Redbull start to use it, it can be completely ready to use. By this way Redbull can achieve to finish season with 5 unit as they planned.

Big Tea

STR probably has a different reason for being there than does RBR (for now)
RBR is there to win the championship and need to optimise the points and finishes all season.
Str just 'need' to finish the year with more points than as many of the other teams as possible.
It doses not really matter to them if they score most of them in a handful of races while starting from the back of the gird other times
4 finishes at 5th is 40 points, as is 10 8th place finishes. Going for glory also means they look good to sponsors, and they still have a chance to pick up minor points in the races they start from the back
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

History has shown that Red Bull invariably take the latest spec engine as soon as possible, even when the Renault works team were reluctant to commit to using a newer but less reliable spec themselves.
Will this trend continue if Red Bull are in contention for a championship but need a little extra edge to beat their rivals? I can see them taking any newer spec engine as soon as it becomes available, maybe getting STR to run the engine in free practice one first just to ensure the engine is an improvement and will actually run OK.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Capharol
Capharol

this shouldn't be a suprise at all, but the question should be WHY?
doesn't have Honda (read RBR) the confidence that there upgrades will work properly on the testing bank?
or is Honda (RBR) seeking a way to get this small advantage (and therefor using STR) because they are confident that they can fight for 2019 Championship?

that they now have double mileages isn't a new thing, Renault has/had (last year even triple) it to
is it really to test the new parts and check if they work? Yes it might be but I'm guessing there is more behind it then just testing new parts during the season.

Marko and Honda making to much noise even before testing at Barcelona, this is a complet new thing from them because normally RBR stay under the radar as much as possible