General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

gandharva wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:05 pm
kptaylor wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm
Apologize as I haven't read through the regs, but is battery technology open or are there rules in place regarding material and composition? Could these newer technologies be put in place by Honda only during testing days or in races?
This "newer" technology (MB announcement) is not even state of the art. So why bother using it? Furthermore, the requirements for road cars are very different from Formula 1.
We're not talking about Mercedes announcement though, we're talking about Hondas/NASA fluoride-ion and Hondas carbon nanotube research. Lithium technology is on its last legs. You'd be surprised how much overlap there is with Honda road and race car technology with R&D. I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed to say that the Formula 1 engine shares parts with a Civic engine, but not everything that goes into the engine is "bespoke", but I'm sure it meets requirements :)

ME4ME

It will be a very impressive piece of tuning, software and/or chemical engineering to increase maximum output by 20 hp without altering the hardware of the PU. Although that is yet to be comfirmed. Hopefully the knowledge they now have and the new limits that they set themself will have an effect on all Strat settings and bump power up a step compared to the old settings. Red Bull Honda do need more race pace too, it's not like the end of last season where Red Bull Renault was relativly stronger in the race than in qualifying.

Regardless, qualifying in a better position is always helpfull. Secondly Horner seem to alude to another (actually quite obvious) advantage:
“But we see after the pit stops, both Ferrari and Mercedes, it looks like they go back into a qualifying setting, particularly Sebastian [Vettel]. His one lap pace showed he did a 34.8s and then suddenly he is in the 36s. There is one standout lap.”
More power even if just for one lap will increase the chance to pull off an effective undercut.

godlameroso

We know engine max power happens when the MGU-H is tasked with providing all compressor energy. This isn't sustainable because it drains the ES through both K and H. Maybe Honda is learning to get more time out of this mode through better energy management, better lubricants, and better fuel.
Saishū kōnā

yener

Its not only software. They are going to switch the PU to get more straight line speed.
Means that Max will not get a penalty because this is second engine. The first engine will be sealed and will be used at tracks where engine power is less important compared to high speed tracks.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Wouter

yener wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:13 am
Its not only software. They are going to switch the PU to get more straight line speed.
Where did you get this information? Honda, RBR, anyone else?

restless
restless

ummm, I thought that once you put new engine spec, the old one cannot be used for qualy/race, only on fridays ?!
:wtf:

Zynerji

restless wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:25 pm
ummm, I thought that once you put new engine spec, the old one cannot be used for qualy/race, only on fridays ?!
:wtf:
I'm rather sure it is a "pool" that you draw from. I think it's more that teams would rather not use an older spec if they found more power in a newer one.

So, you can use an old engine after taking a fresh one for a race. If you take a 4th engine, the oldest one is kicked from the pool.

yener

Wouter wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am
yener wrote:
I got it from this link. It's former F1 Driver Robert Doornbos telling that they will switch to another PU. But maybe it is the same spec but the second of that pool.

Here is the link https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... t-wel-wat/

Wouter

yener wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Wouter wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am
yener wrote:
I got it from this link. It's former F1 Driver Robert Doornbos telling that they will switch to another PU. But maybe it is the same spec but the second of that pool.

Here is the link https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... t-wel-wat/
Oké. I only believe it when the information comes from Honda. Lets wait and see.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Maybe an engine switch wasnt planned at first but if the analysis from Kvyats engine showed damage that can be expected on all other units in time then it would be better to switch to a 1.1 version now instead of risking breaking the 1.0 version. Maybe TR has succesfully tried it last GP. Albon was very fast in the race in China

Big Tea

Alexf1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:15 pm
Maybe an engine switch wasnt planned at first but if the analysis from Kvyats engine showed damage that can be expected on all other units in time then it would be better to switch to a 1.1 version now instead of risking breaking the 1.0 version. Maybe TR has succesfully tried it last GP. Albon was very fast in the race in China
As I have posted previously, STR does not lose much by flicking through engines.
They lose 6-7-8 places on the grid and race in a segment where a 10th can gain them 4 points.

I think they would gain far more by swapping power units even if they only swap like for like and run it harder.

They make no pretenses that they are not there to develop the boss team, and the loss of a point this race is more than made up for when they gain 2 next race and RBr get a podium
We are standing on the shoulders of Giants. So don't kick.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Alexf1
Alexf1

Spec 2 ICE intro confirmed by Honda due to Kvyat engine failure

restless
restless

Can't be due to Kvyat's engine entirely - in order to have at least 4 (and maybe 6 or 8 ) engines available they had planned month or two ahead.
Maybe rushed few weeks ahead.

yener

Honda confirmed a spec 2 ICE.

They told that there was a qualitycheck issue at spec1 which they have detected at Kyvats engine. So all the four cars will change to spec 2 this weekend. Spec 2 will bring more reliability and also a small power increase.

Power increase could only be because of the reliability, making it possible to run more out of the engine.

Lets see and wait what saturday will bring