General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

lio007 wrote:
12 May 2019, 21:06
Could we really expect early win's when a team is switching PU-supplier, even if it's a top team like RBR. I'm not sure.
Given the circumstances they are doing very, very well and that already resulted in 2 podiums on merit.

Yes, team-representatives said something different in terms of wins, but nowadays this could be just PR-talk.
Why not. Ferrari screwed big time just that Merc are really on it this year and have transformed their slow speed weakness to strength. Else a win in Monaco was always on the cards.
I will say again i believe Ocon is doing a grande job in sims for Merc whereas the likes of Hartley and Ticktum are going in all direction with the car. They should be able to optimise the setup by now yet Ghastly is still struggling. Toro Rosso on the other hand seem to be on it even though they are using last year Redbull rear built for Renault engine. So no excuses for changing PU if last year rear is working fine on sister car.

Jambier

I think chassis is 70% at fault on the gap with Mercedes.

Maybe in the past it was 50%

But if they continue to improve and deliver this way - Max especially - they will grab a win this year

ispano6

Honda power is proving to be in a class above the Renault PU. 75% of Honda powered cars qualified and finished in the top 10. Hard to believe that, statistically, we are set to power 40% of the top 10 cars and the fact that STR is out-qualifying Ferrari and Mercedes powered cars shows that the Honda PU might be the best customer PU. It's a coming of age period for Honda F1 and there's more to be done. Red Bull has given us wings, so let's stretch them out and go topflight.

mzso
mzso

Bill wrote:
12 May 2019, 19:33
And Redbull don't have chassis deficit to make up their car was losing 5 tenth to Mercedes in sector 3 in only 5 corners.
So I guess this makes sense with correct punctuation. This way it's contradictory.

maguetox
maguetox

etusch wrote:
12 May 2019, 20:51
lio007 wrote:
12 May 2019, 20:47
etusch wrote:
12 May 2019, 20:31
I was expecting Redbull victory at Monaco but this merc looks too srong in every area.
And what does this post contribute to this thread?
Right now the deficit is more on the chassis side than on Honda.
Thats why I suspect it (Monaco win )
After this GP, Mercedes is the clear the favorite for Monaco, Red Bull or Ferrari will need to bring something really special to this week test that can change the fortunes for Monaco.

dren

Max will have to put in one fine lap at Monaco to grab pole. I think at this point, it's Mercedes's to lose.
Honda!

Marti_EF3

Gasly was able to be side by side with Leclerc at the end of the straight without DRS, and we all know that the Ferrari strenght is the straights. So that gives a clear view that Honda is there, maybe not on par, but definetely close than ever. If RBR keep developing, we can expect the first win for Honda this season.

I'll be on the tests the 2 full days, starting tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated with info, videos and maybe some streamings. I'll take all the cameras I can :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

Honda power wise is there within the ball park it made Martin Brundle the biggest Honda hater very angry and unhinged why Vettel couldn't pass Max using Ferrari supposedly enormous power advantage

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 May 2019, 18:05
Gasly was able to be side by side with Leclerc at the end of the straight without DRS, and we all know that the Ferrari strenght is the straights. So that gives a clear view that Honda is there, maybe not on par, but definetely close than ever. If RBR keep developing, we can expect the first win for Honda this season.

I'll be on the tests the 2 full days, starting tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated with info, videos and maybe some streamings. I'll take all the cameras I can :lol: :lol:
I am sure that Redbull will win more than one race this year

Godius

Marti_EF3 wrote:

I think what happened on the restart was that Verstappen, Vettel and Leclerc were on the Medium compound and Gasly was on the Soft. In the post-race comments the drivers stated that the Medium compound lost a lot of temperature during the lengthy safety car period. That was probably the reason that Gasly had very good traction out of the last corner on the Soft compound.

Marti_EF3

Godius wrote:
13 May 2019, 18:41
Marti_EF3 wrote:

I think what happened on the restart was that Verstappen, Vettel and Leclerc were on the Medium compound and Gasly was on the Soft. In the post-race comments the drivers stated that the Medium compound lost a lot of temperature during the lengthy safety car period. That was probably the reason that Gasly had very good traction out of the last corner on the Soft compound.
On the same line, Vettel was unable even to catch Verstappen on the straight with equal tires and both with tow. For me it's a good sign

JordanMugen

lio007 wrote:
12 May 2019, 21:06
Could we really expect early win's when a team is switching PU-supplier, even if it's a top team like RBR. I'm not sure.
Yes!

Power unit integration is not the problem at Red Bull. The reduction in RBR competitiveness from end of 2018 form is from the new front wing rules and, to a lesser extent, thin gauge Pirelli tyres IMO.

Little to do with PU change.

Sieper

I fully, fully agree. And how to over ome these new rules. I have no idea.

yener

The short wheelbase combined with the high rake they run is causing problems with the airflow due to the new 2019 frontwing rules. And offcourse they lack PU power. They are not even close to the Ferrari or Mercedes engine. But even if they solve those problems, mercedes will still be 4 tenths quicker. That Merc is brilliant, and not showing is true pace
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

godlameroso

Mercedes isn't 8 tenths ahead, that is ridiculous. They're 4 tenths ahead of Red Bull on race pace at best, in Spain the gap in the race was on average .35 seconds.

They can close the gap, won't be easy as they'll have to out develop Mercedes to do it. However I see enough potential in the car, once they figure out the tires and the aero, plus a little more from Honda.

There is your .3 right there, and even if Mercedes has a little more pace in hand, if Red Bull get within that .3 window Max can make a difference, they will start showing weakness and make more mistakes because they'll have to push harder to maintain the gap.

I also don't understand the wheelbase talk, Red Bull has plenty of space between the front wheels and side pod.
Saishū kōnā