General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
seense
seense

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

No he can' t. Verstappen reporting actually that he would have been a bit closer with a perfect lap but qualifying higher than P3 wouldn't have been possible.

Stef
Stef

Four Hondas in the top ten 10

IvailoStefanovBG

Stef wrote:
26 May 2019, 18:05
Four Hondas in the top ten 10
And one of them challenging Mercedes....Congrats!

ispano6

Tanabe-san quotes:
Honda F1 boss Toyoharu Tanabe said the Japanese company was encouraged by earning second on the road with one of its cars on a day when all four finished in the points.

"The result on paper is the result," he told Motorsport.com. "So we're a little disappointed. Max's race today encouraged our engineers very much – not only engineers, but also some supporters. We're happy to have a good race for all four Honda cars.
After the weekend in Monaco, Toyoharu Tanabe indicated that updates will keep rolling out of the factory, “Now, we take a break from Europe and head to Montreal. The track there is very different to this one, so we will be working hard on our PU development before going to Canada.”
https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/05/28 ... h-mclaren/

sn809
sn809

Hmm hopeful of an upgraded engine for Canada then. Superb effort Honda.

Capharol
Capharol

sn809 wrote:
29 May 2019, 08:51
hopefully not because that would leave them taking 5 engines in the season which will hurt if they wanna keep Max fighting for P3 in WDC

carisi2k

Capharol wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:56
sn809 wrote:
hopefully not because that would leave them taking 5 engines in the season which will hurt if they wanna keep Max fighting for P3 in WDC
The WDC is gone unless both Mercedes are banned for the rest of the season. Honda pushing development and introducing new developments at the expense of a penalty at say monza is not a bad idea. They are already well clear of whomever will place fourth in the championship and they will want to push for second.

ispano6

Capharol wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:56
sn809 wrote:
Modular design allows for incremental component changes. If IHI can bring forth changes that are limited to turbo charger internals and Honda continues on with their ancillary improvements, penalties will be taken on the tracks that will benefit from the upgrade. Montreal might be ideal, but not all drivers will get the upgrades at the same time. Toro Rosso was the guinea pig, but they have already taken more units than Red Bull and Max is keen to get the upgrades first and steer the development.
Honda are on a good trajectory and good results such as the Monaco P2 will help Tanabe and Asaki rally support and resources in Sakura.

ispano6

mclaren113 wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:40
Honda for the 5th season they're taking penalties for upgrading their PU 😁 what an achievement
With no MGU-K failures and no DNFs too. No burning bodywork or gear ratio issues either. All thanks to Red Bull for convincing Honda to stay and let them do things the Honda way. I must say that bringing on Tanabe and Asaki has worked wonders.

ispano6

Yes, McLaren and Renault pretty much started over so it will take about that long for them to be reliable and fast. While McLaren are fighting for best of the rest and relying on tactics, Honda is set on winning. Parting ways with McLaren and teaming up with RB Racing was a golden move. No way is a podium possible with a McLaren built car.

Marti_EF3

So Marko is talking about a PU upgrade for Monza, and it will be a big one. Probably with new fuel and lubricants. The only way to close the gap a bit more is to gain more than the 20hp Merc is going to win on Canada... [-o<

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:05
So Marko is talking about a PU upgrade for Monza, and it will be a big one. Probably with new fuel and lubricants. The only way to close the gap a bit more is to gain more than the 20hp Merc is going to win on Canada... [-o<
You forget that soon a spec 3 will be used. That will also have a major upgrade, I assume.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter wrote:
29 May 2019, 19:06
Marti_EF3 wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:05
You forget that soon a spec 3 will be used. That will also have a major upgrade, I assume.
Every engine upgrade is very welcome. But there is something making mercedes so good we don't know. Everybody says that Ferrari has best Engine but They are not faster than Redbull or slightly faster at some tracks. So let's assume with that upgrade Honda get same level with Ferrari. Can we say that Redbull will go ahead of mercedes?

_cerber1

ispano6 wrote:
29 May 2019, 14:28
With no MGU-K failures and no DNFs too. No burning bodywork or gear ratio issues either. All thanks to Red Bull for convincing Honda to stay and let them do things the Honda way. I must say that bringing on Tanabe and Asaki has worked wonders.
RB had a whole year to go to Honda engines, McLaren had several months in emergency mode, the comparison is not correct. What prevented to attract Honda, Tanabe and Asaki earlier, why it was necessary to bring the matter to the distance?

Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... s/4403921/

Reading between the lines in this interview they will introduce a new engine before summer. If it's an upgrade "depends on when they introduce it. So I don't think the upgrade is ready yet. Silverstone is the seventh race to do with this engine, so after Silverstone in Germany would make sense with the number of races per engine. However from a track layout point of view, having it scheduled for Silverstone would be far better. If the upgrade is significant I can't imagine RBR waiting to introduce it.