General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dxpetrov

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by dxpetrov » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Wouter wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 am
Japanese interview with Yamamoto about this saison. Part 1 and 2.

France was the turning point this year and Spa and especially Monza could RBR be competative.

Part 1. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/512082?all

Part 2. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/513488?all

From part 1, yesterday:
Can you tell us what you think after the first half of the game?
Masafumi Yamamoto Managing Director (Yamamoto MD): Looking back on the first half of the game, I think the French GP was a turning point.

──What is it?
Yamamoto MD: At the start over there, Verstappen would probably be out for a moment alongside Charles Leclerc (Ferrari). I think you remember. However, immediately after that, it was torn lightly.

Actually, Honda's power unit was overheated at that time. Just for Max. I can say that because it is now. Why is that? I analyzed why this happened after the race and went to Austria.

──That was what happened.
Yamamoto MD: Originally all four units had signs of heat.

──At the previous round of the 7th Canadian Grand Prix, you had power loss symptoms.
Yamamoto MD: That's right. And in France, only Max has lost a lot of power at the start. Exactly the power loss symptom remains in the data, and why does this happen immediately after the start of the first lap. So in Austria, we took all possible measures against overheating.

Running four units has an advantage at this time, and the laboratory has verified a huge amount of data from four units. Austria was very hot, but it was set to the limit so that it could demonstrate its original performance in such an environment. That was directly linked to the victory of Austria.

At the same time, I learned that it was possible to draw performance from our power unit so far, and I was able to do a good race with England, Germany and Hungary. About the UK after the first victory, I was talking to Tanabe (Toyoharu / Honda F1 Technical Director), saying, “It ’s a power circuit, so it ’s a podium even if it works.” In fact, it was impossible to win, but it could have been second if he hadn't even hit Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari). Thanks to such a race, we felt a good response.
Brain hurts even if you try to read this.

loner

Post by loner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Alexf1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am
Maybe if the 'Suzuka special' will be introduced in Russia it can be a spec 4.1 instead of another spec 4.0. I guess if they're already done with spec 4 testing they are already developing/testing spec 5
i agree Honda won't debut a new PU in Sochi unless they can squeeze another 10 hp at least from it but if that happens i fancy RBR to be extremely competitive from Suzuka to Abudhabi.
para bellum.

Alexf1

Post by Alexf1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Hope RBR and/or TR are clear of the next competitor in WCC before the last race so they/one of them can take a penalty and try the 2020 engine (or what's ready of it) in the weekend and the test. Cause if Mercedes is on the brink of introducing a new concept for 2020 and if we have an engine freeze as of 2021 max development speed is required to keep up.

Wouter

Post by Wouter » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Belgian GP. =D>

nzjrs

Post by nzjrs » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Wouter wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:40 pm
Belgian GP. =D>
While multiplied by good tire strategy at the end, Honda seemed to have great race pace throughout. In light of the results of the other engine manufacturers who also bought new specifications, Honda had zero technical problems.

Marti_EF3

Post by Marti_EF3 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm

nzjrs wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Wouter wrote:
Belgian GP. =D>
While multiplied by good tire strategy at the end, Honda seemed to have great race pace throughout. In light of the results of the other engine manufacturers who also bought new specifications, Honda had zero technical problems.
Reliability may play a role that last half of the season, and Honda seems at the top of it. 0 engine blows, the only manufacturer without it now.

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Alexf1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm
Hope RBR and/or TR are clear of the next competitor in WCC before the last race so they/one of them can take a penalty and try the 2020 engine (or what's ready of it) in the weekend and the test. Cause if Mercedes is on the brink of introducing a new concept for 2020 and if we have an engine freeze as of 2021 max development speed is required to keep up.
They can try it on Friday
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

GhostF1

Post by GhostF1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Wouter wrote:
Belgian GP. =D>
Reliability may play a role that last half of the season, and Honda seems at the top of it. 0 engine blows, the only manufacturer without it now.
It's highly impressive that we can say they are the most reliable in 2019 so far... 2017 seems is a distant past now..

dxpetrov

Post by dxpetrov » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:41 am

Big Tea wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:06 pm
Alexf1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm
They can try it on Friday
No they cannot. Still a penalty.

IvailoStefanovBG

Post by IvailoStefanovBG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 am

Very good race for Honda. Perfect reliability on the first place. And also think Spec 4 is starting to show teeth...Albon nad Kvyat were cruising among the midfield.

Wouter

Post by Wouter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:46 am

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 am
Very good race for Honda. Perfect reliability on the first place. And also think Spec 4 is starting to show teeth...Albon nad Kvyat were cruising among the midfield.
Albon didn't use the spec 4, according to Helmut Marko yesterday. Also not on Saturday.

Capharol

Post by Capharol » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 am

Wouter wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:46 am
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 am
Albon didn't use the spec 4, according to Helmut Marko yesterday. Also not on Saturday.
that makes me wonder why.... because the excuse Marko used was "lame", HM: "we didn't think it would help us much from the back"
then why give Albon the penalty?
and why not using that engine to see what it can do?

i think they're is some small issue (mapping or something like that) they want to sort out frst and test the engine only on Kvyat's car ....
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

Stef

Post by Stef » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 am

It's also to keep it as frash as possible.

Wouter

Post by Wouter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 am

Stef wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 am
It's also to keep it as frash as possible.
Yes, that was the only reason. They need a fresh as possible engine in Japan.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 am

If you are in a battlefield and you got a new shine weapon that could give advantage over you enemies you use immediately your doesn't wait for ideal time because it won't matter if you are six feet under.the thing about racing is that you never know how things will play out all RbrHonda master plans about how the gonna juggle use engines in the poll fell flat ones Max binned it on first lap now they look like idiots they start at the back in monza 2 races ruined