General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Bill
Bill

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

During the v8 era engine development was frozen and all three manufacturers pretty much even so really they wasn't much interesting to talk about.

Wouter

izzy wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 14:28
Christian is a racing driver and so is Helmut, they're competitors by instinct,
and so their own part will always get the spotlight, and their part is the chassis
From the official Formula 1 site:

Team Principal Christian Horner says that the new relationship [with Honda] has outweighed expectations.

Speaking in Brazil before Max Verstappen took Red Bull’s third Grand Prix win of the season, Horner was asked if the relationship with Honda was going “better than expected.”

He replied: “I think in many respects, yes. There were a lot of questions as to why we had made the move to Honda.

“I think very quickly, at the first Grand Prix, we achieved a podium. We’ve scored more points than we had at this time last year. All around, reliability has been strong, performance has been getting better and better.

“I think on the chassis side we were affected more than we thought going into the year by the front wing regulation change and Honda have certainly exceeded our expectations in all areas. So, it has been a really very positive start to this partnership."

Horner said that the Honda power unit’s evolution this year was “great”, and it bodes very well for the 2020 season, given that regulations stay the same next year.

“The progress that has been made with the introduction of each engine has been great to see. Reliability has been strong,” he said.
Last weekend on Sky Sports F1 after the pole from Max:

"We have to give Honda all the credits today, they did a great job. This circuit is at a great height and is tough for the engines anyway. So to officially take the second pole of the hybrid era here is very good for Honda. Especially when you consider where they were a few years ago. Their commitment is really impressive."
The Power of Dreams!

Capharol
Capharol

@Wouter what Izzy trying to say/imply is now they are talking alot about Honda at RB, but as soon as they will succeed in more winning they might not mention Honda that much anymore.....

which in my opinion is clear..... Bu...llocks, because the respect towards each other is so high that Marko or Horner or Red Bul at all won't forgett who brought them this success beside their chassis, and vice versa

IF, Max would win the Championship next year, he will be a god in Japan and at the factory in Japan and Max damn well knows who he should thanks for it IF they win the WDC, and the same goes for ALL Red Bull Racing employees

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 17:35
@Wouter what Izzy trying to say/imply is now they are talking alot about Honda at RB, but as soon as they will succeed in more winning they might not mention Honda that much anymore.....
Thank you for your explanation @Capharol. :wink:
We have a proverb for his/her opinion: "The innkeeper trusts his guests like he is himself."

I have not placed the quotes here for nothing. It is good to read how RBR, Franz Tost and Max think and talk about Honda.

Honda's "big step forward" main factor in Toro Rosso gains.

Nov 26, 2019, 5:01 PM
Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost has credited Honda with the uplift in form that his team has enjoyed in recent races.

The Faenza-based outfit has closed to within eight points of Renault in the fight for fifth place in the constructors’ championship following Pierre Gasly’s shock runner-up finish in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

And with the team close to delivering what could be its best season in F1, Tost has no doubt that its progress owes more to what Honda has achieved this year than anything else.

“The Red Bull partnership helped us at the beginning of the season with the suspension, because we took over the suspension and everything from them,” said Tost. “But during the season, there's not much [we can do] with the synergy because of the regulations.

“It was the aero updates which helped us, and Honda made a big step forward. It was primarily Honda. With the spec four engine and with fuel, which they brought at Suzuka. This helped us to improve the performance.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... t/4602813/
The Power of Dreams!

Capharol
Capharol

How brave was it for a winning team like Red Bull to team up with the unknown greats Honda?

Horner: It was a brave decision, but also a right one. We have gained more points than in the last two years, although the second car has dropped slightly compared to earlier. We won races, achieved pole positions and fastest race laps. It was clear that 2019 would be a transitional year. After twelve years with an engine partner, everything had to be brought in first with a new manufacturer. Looking back, I can only say that we are on a very good way. The performance gets better, the reliability is excellent, the communication works. I sense that something is building up to be at the forefront in 2020.

Honda speaks a different language, Japan is far away, and you were dealing with a different culture. Was it difficult to find each other?

Horner: Honda's Europe store is just around the corner from our factory in Milton Keynes. I would not speak of another culture. We are more similar than we thought. Honda has the same passion, the same determination to succeed as us. All you have to do is look at the motor sports department in Sakura, then they know what I'm talking about. Formula 1 is part of their DNA. Headquartered in Tokyo, the car Richie Ginther won the first Grand Prix for Honda is in the lobby. They are proud of their history with Williams-Honda and later with Ayrton Senna and McLaren. Honda is the perfect partner for us.
said in a interview with AMuS

izzy
izzy

Wouter wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 18:03
Thank you for your explanation @Capharol. :wink:
We have a proverb for his/her opinion: "The innkeeper trusts his guests like he is himself."

I have not placed the quotes here for nothing. It is good to read how RBR, Franz Tost and Max think and talk about Honda.
Yes i agree! This is why I said
Honda have been great this year. And Red Bull and Max have been making a big effort to say so
but i have a great proverb too: "if you can't win an argument, start talking about something else" :lol:

and btw if you're @Capharol, misuse the rating system too for some cheap revenge :thumbsdown:

Meanwhile it ought to be obvious that they can't keep talking about Honda catching up forever. They'll all be converged and then the engines won't be a topic will they

Capharol
Capharol

izzy wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 18:50

and btw if you're @Capharol, misuse the rating system too for some cheap revenge :thumbsdown:
1. i am me and have no 2nd account, can't help we think alike but that sometimes happens in a Forum that 2 people has the same opinion

2. because i dislike the rating down button a whole lot actually, I equalized your -1

izzy
izzy

Capharol wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 19:00
1. i am me and have no 2nd account, can't help we think alike but that sometimes happens in a Forum that 2 people has the same opinion

2. because i dislike the rating down button a whole lot actually, I equalized your -1
Oh I apologise, and thank you :)

i am not here to spoil things for anybody's fans just to chat about F1. Honda were talking about cost, was my starting point. I am generally up for a debate, as a debate

Jambier

This is a quite good news. :D
Half goof I'd say

Honda doesn't want to make the same mistake than 2008 =D>
But it also means " we will be there in 2021 to see what happen", meaning 2021 must be a winning year to justify the cost of this program

Big pressure on RB now, and also on Honda to win.
In addition, Max will also stay at RB... if they win in 2021

Can't wait for 2021 season :)

IvailoStefanovBG

I can't wait 2020...As Horner said - I feel something is building up.....

etusch

Jambier wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 12:16
This is a quite good news. :D
Half goof I'd say

Honda doesn't want to make the same mistake than 2008 =D>
But it also means " we will be there in 2021 to see what happen", meaning 2021 must be a winning year to justify the cost of this program

Big pressure on RB now, and also on Honda to win.
In addition, Max will also stay at RB... if they win in 2021

Can't wait for 2021 season :)
I think if they win wdc or fight for win it next year and coming rules are good for them they may decide to stay. But these are not only things they consider I think.
You may read that vw closes all ice containing racing departmants and concentrating only electical one. I think it is too early for only electical vehicles but it is time for hybrids. Ifthings go well in sport for Honda (or keep going well) and if someone doesn't come up with a battery that can be fully recharched in 10 minutes, I think Honda will stay beyond 2021. It is almost the time all Honda models will have hybrid versions. A hybrid sport title would be great in those times. I would expect from Honda to keep up with Toyota in this hybridization but they are a bit (?) behind of Toyota despite they are generator producer in the same time.
At the end it is good news.

godlameroso

The ICE regulations are staying relatively untouched save for a few standardized parts. I guess those parts aren't going to affect the Honda power unit tremendously, which was my fear in their tentativeness to commit further.
Saishū kōnā

izzy
izzy

etusch wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 15:09
I think if they win wdc or fight for win it next year and coming rules are good for them they may decide to stay. But these are not only things they consider I think.
Yes surely they've learned from last time, that it doesn't make sense to come into F1 for a few years. It takes a few years to become competitive, so that is the worst of all worlds! Now they've finally caught up, after all that pain and Fernando's famous putdowns, they have to be here to stay, that's the only way it makes sense, to make your brand synonymous with F1 brands and build that association, which takes a lot of time

i do think tho that being just an engine supplier is the most expensive and least rewarding way to do it, I won't be surprised if they move on from that back into a Honda team eventually, whatever they say now

Wouter

I do not respond to your message @Izzy, but I just read this and just want to post it here for notification.
Pure coincidence that you have just posted a message about it.

November 27, 2020 2:14 pm

With the decision by Honda to still supply engines to Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso (by then Alpha Tauri) in 2021, Helmut Marko can sigh a sigh of relief. The near future of the energy drink brand is therefore guaranteed in racing, although rumors have recently been circulating that point in a different direction. For example, Red Bull would be willing to step out of Formula 1 and go through life as a factory team, if Honda would like that.

All speculation, because Honda let GPUpdate.net know that it has no intention of returning to Formula 1 with its own factory team.

"At the moment we are only thinking of being active as an engine supplier in Formula 1," Yamamoto announces. "To be able to participate properly as a constructor, you need a huge amount of knowledge and money - and of those two elements, in particular, knowledge."
The Power of Dreams!