General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
techman
techman

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

If TR ends 3 seconds behind the leader in a qualification. People will say "The Honda PU has 800 HP" :roll:
Only Marko has the Renault and Honda numbers in his hands.
spot on correct. i think honda knows what marko wants. they already said they are going to overtake renault this season . honda opinions was not taken to much consideration before and were limited to designing an engine to a design constraint. it will take some time, since TR has rookie drivers and still lack about 0.8 sec to redbull . however what matters most is that marko will know the bhp numbers by mid season.honda were already saying they were close to renualt last year end. hopefully they keep up the rate of develpment and pass renault by mid season. already hearing news about honda working on different combustion process which is good. hopefully they keep the developments like last year and get redbull honda in 2019
Honda had chance with McLaren (and vice versa) and didn't take it. Get over it allready, there are people on this forum that want to cover every (most of teams and EMs) and are sick of your constant nonsense.
since you brought up mclaren again. i just like to tell you iam for one very happy mclaren and honda split. because in reality honda would never have won with mclaren but with redbull there is a good chance.

HPD

According to the rumors (Japanese forums).

Today in the factory of sakura, apparently there is much joy. It seems that the output power of the new engine was confirmed by sakura telemetry.

Wazari said a few days ago that there was an engine that achieved 950 hp or a little more. But he said it was a rumor. This could be related. :idea:

McMika98
McMika98

Wazari said it was around 940hp (700kW). Was this output observed during filming or dyno? Would be good news. There was a longer video where the engine still has the off throttle rattling sound from 2016.

HPD

McMika98 wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 17:25
Wazari said it was around 940hp (700kW). Was this output observed during filming or dyno? Would be good news. There was a longer video where the engine still has the off throttle rattling sound from 2016.
Wazari wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 00:06
I do know that a Spec "4.1 and 4.2" (numbers just for simplicity sake), were built and dyno-tested. I also understand that at least one of them has exceeded not met, 700 kWh, but I am not there and my nephew just smiles when I ask him.
The Japanese forums are difficult to understand (2ch / 5ch).

The only thing that is well understood is that apparently there is a strange joy in sakura.
The rest is already speculation

ispano6

Honda fans don't expect Honda to win the championship, they root for their underdog team regardless. It is about the Spirit of competition at the world stage and participating in to gain knowledge and raise the next class of engineers and mechanics. The reason Honda fans are hopeful is that Honda eventually does well in practically every motorsport category they involve themselves with. What's important is to do it the Honda way. There is a famous speech by Soichiro Honda that embodies this mentality - that from the confusion and difficulty of failure comes understanding and a path to learn and grow.

McHonda
McHonda

I've got more of an eye on the next regs. As long as they get good enough to be attractive to another chassis supplier, assuming they don't want a team themselves, then I'll be happy enough. Obviously McLaren would be preferred but I get how unlikely that is so Red Bull would be my choice but Williams or even Force India would be fine by me.

Just use these next couple of seasons to prove and develop their combustion technique and get on top of the H side of things in case it's retained and I think they'll be well placed for success in the next regs.

techman
techman

950bhp if its true then its awesome news. and knowing honda fast development throught the season. i reckon marko will be impressed.cant wait

ME4ME

Regardless of the output of the PU, the value of correlation cannot be underestimated. Good on them if it worked out over the winter.
techman wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 23:45
950bhp if its true then its awesome news. and knowing honda fast development throught the season. i reckon marko will be impressed.cant wait
To be honest, taking the average improvement over the 3 years that Honda has been back in F1 i think the rate of development has been disappointing, and I believe they'd admit to that too. However, with more experience and better correlation we might see a sudden increase. Especially now that they'll get more freedom from their partner-team.

techman
techman

To be honest, taking the average improvement over the 3 years that Honda has been back in F1 i think the rate of development has been disappointing, and I believe they'd admit to that too. However, with more experience and better correlation we might see a sudden increase. Especially now that they'll get more freedom from their partner-team.
i think the biggest problem honda had was mclaren size zero design constraints. honda decided to have the turbine in the v of the engine. even though this concept is good for aero , its got limitation. they should have gone with the mercedes style layout from beggining. which would mean honda would not have keep changing concepts every year and fixing reliabilty and increasing power. but this merceds style concept is going to be the second year, i believe the reliability will be better which mean they can focus on increasing the power of the engine. before the all important redbull honda 2019 challenge

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

HPD wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 16:45
According to the rumors (Japanese forums).

Today in the factory of sakura, apparently there is much joy. It seems that the output power of the new engine was confirmed by sakura telemetry.

Wazari said a few days ago that there was an engine that achieved 950 hp or a little more. But he said it was a rumor. This could be related. :idea:
as I remember last year he said a civic(may his mean honda) touched 980 hp in dyno.... main problem honda isnt peak power .....

etusch

Although longer-life engines and the decision to not risk reliability means there will not be a dramatic leap forward in performance against Mercedes and Ferrari for now, Abiteboul says that he is hoping Renault’s power levels for Australia will be at the same level that it finished last season at.

“Our target is more or less to start in Melbourne with the same performance level as we finished in Abu Dhabi – which is actually quite a decent performance baseline,” he said
No extra power from Renault. Ferrari also said that their first aim is reliability if I am not wrong. Mercedes is a question marq because they are saying they have a pretty much new engine. İf honda's spec 4.+ is 30-40 hp more than last year's last spec engine as talked about in the forum, we can expect a step forward from Honda.
In the same time this an opportunity for us to compare mclaren and toro rosso and spec 4 to Renault pu power of last year. If spec 4 is same or better than renault pu as performance we can see Hasegawa-san's objective.

McMika98
McMika98

Fingers crossed Honda engines runs reliably with the new baseline which will be around Ferrari range and then a big leap over the summer. Kinda hoping the chassis also delivers and that Gasly becomes the second coming of Vettel with few shock wins. Top 6 in Australia?

ME4ME

techman wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 03:41
i think the biggest problem honda had was mclaren size zero design constraints. honda decided to have the turbine in the v of the engine. even though this concept is good for aero , its got limitation. they should have gone with the mercedes style layout from beggining. which would mean honda would not have keep changing concepts every year and fixing reliabilty and increasing power. but this merceds style concept is going to be the second year, i believe the reliability will be better which mean they can focus on increasing the power of the engine. before the all important redbull honda 2019 challenge
The constraints put on Honda by Mclaren certainly didn't help, but Honda made plenty of mistakes themselves which they admit to and moved on from. No excuses needed.

If anything, they are guilty of letting themselves being pushed over by Mclaren. Secondly it was Honda who stated that they wanted to do it their way rather than following Mercedes. I think the root of both these mistakes were simply a lack of experience.

Anyhow, they made their mistakes, learned from it and now seem on a path of solid improvement. I for one wish them all the best. It's quite exciting to see how they'll do this season.

godlameroso

Honda will probably take a similarly aggressive approach as 2017. They need to claw back performance and ignoring penalties is easier to swallow when it's for a junior team that isn't expected to fight for the championship. With normal performance they'll start behind anyway, so better to have a faster engine and start behind, than slower engine and start behind anyway. With the former you can at least fight for position, with the latter you are a mobile chicane.

This is of course, worst case scenario, best case scenario, Honda makes a good step with the engine and takes an inevitable penalty like everyone else will. If the Toro Rosso is even half as good as the Red Bull chassis Honda could find themselves where they were last year. I'd say 6th in the championship is definitely doable.
Saishū kōnā

aral
aral

Could the usual suspects please note the title of the thread. It says HONDA. So a number of irrelevant RENAULT posts have been removed.