General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pyrone89

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Sieper wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 01:37
This is exactly the issue I have. You are not allowed to burn 4 liter more fuel at the moments that count (100mg/second), 4 liters that are not on paper, unless you are Ferrari. You are not allowed to change set-up after parc ferme or have moving aero, unless you are Mercedes. The more you spent, or are of importance, the more you are entitled to win. FIA takes care of that.
True, and it is hurting F1
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Pyrone89

maguetox wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 16:06
Wouter wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:05
Bill wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 08:46
The bit about politics and Das is not there in the interview so I wonder were you got it.
@Bill, it stands in the sentences above the picture of Asaki:

──パワーユニットから話が離れますが、メルセデスのステアリングは衝撃でしたか。
浅木センター長:衝撃ですよ。何をやっているんだろうと。あの発想は凄いです。僕らもいろんなアイデアを出すけど、FIAにダメ出しされたり(笑)。そこは正直、政治力もかかわってきます。

Not so good translated, but hey...
が I can talk about the power unit, but was the Mercedes steering wheel a shock?
Asaki: It was a shock. What are they doing? That idea is amazing. We came up with various ideas,
but the FIA ​​didn't allowed to do it (laughs). To be honest, it also involves political power.
To me, if I understand correctly, the interest part of this interview,is how Honda is involved in some degree with aero o mechanical ideas to be applied at the RB16. If I recall correctly, prior to the Austria GP that Honda ask Red Bull to change the setup in the front suspension because it is interfering with the cooling of the PU so they can´t turn up the power, we all know the results after that.
Well, isnt that how a works relation is supposed to work(pun intended)? I am sure Mercedes and Ferrari work the same way. But must be a big step up compared to Renault.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Jambier

Pyrone89 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 10:00
maguetox wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 16:06
Wouter wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:05

@Bill, it stands in the sentences above the picture of Asaki:

──パワーユニットから話が離れますが、メルセデスのステアリングは衝撃でしたか。
浅木センター長:衝撃ですよ。何をやっているんだろうと。あの発想は凄いです。僕らもいろんなアイデアを出すけど、FIAにダメ出しされたり(笑)。そこは正直、政治力もかかわってきます。

Not so good translated, but hey...
が I can talk about the power unit, but was the Mercedes steering wheel a shock?
Asaki: It was a shock. What are they doing? That idea is amazing. We came up with various ideas,
but the FIA ​​didn't allowed to do it (laughs). To be honest, it also involves political power.
To me, if I understand correctly, the interest part of this interview,is how Honda is involved in some degree with aero o mechanical ideas to be applied at the RB16. If I recall correctly, prior to the Austria GP that Honda ask Red Bull to change the setup in the front suspension because it is interfering with the cooling of the PU so they can´t turn up the power, we all know the results after that.
Well, isnt that how a works relation is supposed to work(pun intended)? I am sure Mercedes and Ferrari work the same way. But must be a big step up compared to Renault.
Renault that declared that this winter, they only gain reliability, no power.
And that this year, they will only have one evolution SPEC 2, focusing as well on reliability, and that's it

So this will make again some power difference in engine, I believe that 2019 it was quite close, but in 2020 with Mercedes big gains, Honda good gains, and Renault nothing, we will see again noticable difference between engines

Bill
Bill

Mercedes has gains but they are not big and they come with reliability issues.ferrari have been hobbled by fia regulations.Honda will take their rightful place as number one pu 2021 they is no doubt in my mind.

dren

It sounds like Mercedes made pretty decent gains over the winter. I just hope Honda made enough to keep up.
Honda!

Marti_EF3

Love the bang bang! On track is much much better, awesome!

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 14:17
Love the bang bang! On track is much much better, awesome!

https://youtu.be/oponwilrE6s
I love too but in the same time wonder so much what it is..

Marti_EF3

I will upload some videos of today. But I'm expecting tomorrow to be the good day of the videos. Today's spot was too faster for recording. But tomorrow I'll be in front of the final chicane and S3

Bill
Bill

The Honda pu sounds have always been a thing of intrigue,ridicule and mythic . I think it shows Honda confidence in their engineering that they are willing to try esoteric ideas . In corners the pu makes machines gun like sound under breaking and in the pits it sounds like a two stroke engine and now it makes those bang sounds

With fia having clamped down oil burning and trick fuel flows other manufacturers maybe forced to take risks come out with their innovations and stem down Honda rapid development rate.i get the feeling competitors are in for rude awaking these season because noise coming from Rbr is that gains are big & have confidence.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA RACING F1

6 days of winter testing have now ended, and we were able to get through it without any major issues, completing a good number of laps with both teams. Overall it was a very positive session, going through many different tests on the PU and gathering lots of data. 769 laps with Scuderia AlphaTauri and 780 laps with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing means 1,549 laps and 7,211km in total for Honda and this is quite a respectable mileage. It is too early to talk about the competitiveness of both teams as everyone ran different programmes in varied conditions, such as track temperature, wind, humidity, which all have a significant impact on the modern F1 car. But we can say it was a good preparation for the start of the season. Now, we will go through the analysis of data and the PUs themselves that we ran over these 6 days and that work will continue right up to the very last minute before the opening race. There are only 16 days to go before we race in Melbourne. We’ll be aiming to start the season in good form.
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

"Si terminamos toda –la temporada– sin fallos, diría que sería uno de los primeros grandes pasos que habríamos dado. En el pasado siempre tuvimos que cambiar la unidad de potencia durante los test, pero este año no ha sido el caso"
From a Spanish media, in an interview with Franz Tost, he said the AT01 has been running all 6 days with the same PU.

Wouter

For Tost, whose team has worked with Honda since the start of 2018, the progress that it has made has left him impressed.

"This was a big step up," said Tost, when asked by Autosport about the development Honda has made for this season.

"We are working together the third year with them and, if you look at how the power unit is fitted into the monocoque, and if you would compare this to the first year, then there's a big difference.

"Everything is optimised: from the electric boxes to the water pumps and oil pumps, and all this kind of stuff, to get a better centre of gravity, and better weight distribution.

"This of course helps; this is a performance differentiator and they made big steps forward also from the reliability side and from the performance side."

AlphaTauri technical director Jody Egginton says that the long-term relationship with Honda has been key in helping drive forward improvements, as both team and engine supplier have a better understanding of what they need.

"They're adapting their power unit to our packaging needs," he said. "You've got a very good dynamic there, and they're always working to meet the needs of AlphaTauri and Red Bull.

"That's just gone on and on - and they're very responsive to that.

"It's allowed us to really ask a lot of questions to get the thing packaged as tightly as possible and they are being flexible to actually achieve that. So it's a sort of an evolution.

"By the time you get to the third year, your working relationships are formed, you understand the basics of their philosophy behind the power unit and it's continuity.

"And with continuity gives you the opportunity to push things a bit further and optimise things."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14853 ... power-unit

The Power of Dreams!

Snorked
Snorked

IHI still developing parts with Sakura. Yamamoto interview, he says the logo was removed because one year sponsorship deal ended.

Seems he was surprised by the bigger Honda logos on the Red Bull

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/570149?all
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/570328?all

PlatinumZealot

Honda seems to be closer to Alfa Tauri than RedBull in all of their marketing media. It's almost like "their team" in a way.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏