General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Mudflap wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 19:12
It's blow by and oil. If you have ever toyed with old racy open breather engines they can smoke a lot worse than than, particularly when the rings are on their last legs.
Is it blue enough?

Edit, of course it is they will be using very very light oil #-o
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ispano6

Big Tea wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 20:17
Mudflap wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 19:12
It's blow by and oil. If you have ever toyed with old racy open breather engines they can smoke a lot worse than than, particularly when the rings are on their last legs.
Is it blue enough?

Edit, of course it is they will be using very very light oil #-o
You could probably tell by the smell, like kerosine maybe? It's what Wazari-san and I smelled of the Ferrari PU in Suzuka that reminded me of.

Sieper

they're doing something all right. the gain in performance is too big. Hope that Honda knows what it is.

63l8qrrfy6

Sieper wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 10:53
they're doing something all right. the gain in performance is too big. Hope that Honda knows what it is.
Could well be but I'm pretty sure the puffs of oil out of the breather have nothing to do with it.

Wouter

Mudflap wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 12:10
Sieper wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 10:53
Could well be but I'm pretty sure the puffs of oil out of the breather have nothing to do with it.
@Mudflap, last year you said Mercedes would get the biggest engine upgrade in the winter since starting these engines. Has that come true and what has improved or has the car improved so much?
The Power of Dreams!

63l8qrrfy6

I don't have any further information on that. The media as well as other teams have acknowledged the step up in engine performance so I guess that answers your question ?
I think last year I also said that reliability was quite bad as a consequence and we've already seen Russell's engine being written-off.

etusch

Once upon a time at silverstone

bigblue

Wow, I'd forgotten about this. Good job Nakajima ! If Honda come 1-2-3-4 on Sunday, I'll eat my Honda hat. Sadly a Merc 1-2-3-4 could actually happen.

Sieper

Ernest James 😁 you live and learn!

Wouter

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

After a long wait for this season to begin, the first three races have come and gone very quickly and now, starting this weekend, we are heading into another triple header. Our race team returned to Milton Keynes after Hungary and, with no race last weekend, it meant everyone had a short rest after what were busy weeks for them. However we continue having to work with the various restrictions in place both when it comes to pre-race preparation and our trackside operations.
In the first triple header, we had two podium finishes with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing. However, we saw a clear gap to our rival therefore we are now working together with Red Bull to close it. In HRD-Sakura, we have worked on coming up with solutions for the issues we encountered during those first three races, while also analysing and optimising our PU management strategy.
Silverstone is usually one of the highlights of the F1 year, with a huge crowd of enthusiastic and knowledgeful fans, in the country that can be considered the home of motorsport, but unfortunately that great atmosphere they create will be missing this year. This is a home race for Red Bull Racing an indeed for the majority of F1 teams, and Silverstone is also very close to our own facility in Milton Keynes, therefore we would normally have had the race drivers visiting our factory to meet the non-race team staff, who in turn got the opportunity to come to the track with their families, to see the results of their hard work at first hand. Sadly, those activities will not be possible this year. But we know everyone will be following our progress and supporting us by watching on TV.
The fast and flowing track is a favourite with most drivers as it is an exciting high speed lap with some great corners. This is the circuit our whole car-PU package is given a severe test. We and our two teams learned a lot from the first three races and we will be putting that to good use this weekend, for the first of two races on consecutive weekends at Silverstone. Last year we had a tough race when an incident kept us off the podium. We think it won’t be easy this year either, but we will keep pushing with both our teams.
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Impressive to see the AT catch the RP in the late stages of the race. Performance is improving.

etusch

In such a power + aero dependent track it was really good. =D> =D>

McMika98

Honda is still behind Renault in terms of power. Analysing mini sectors in quali of 4 races so far, Renault powered cars have consistently gone purple on straight sections. Honda need to get more power if they want to get good result in the 3 Italian races.

Marti_EF3

In sustained power during a race, Honda is clearly ahead of Renault. And for me it's better a strong engine on races than on Q mode.

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 19:19
In sustained power during a race, Honda is clearly ahead of Renault. And for me it's better a strong engine on races than on Q mode.
Exactly @Marti !!
The Power of Dreams!