General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:18
It have been a pleasure to talk with all of you supporting Honda. But right now I'm leaving the forum, no need to keep seeing this because we know who will win, and who will continue to win.

Farewell Honda fans :)

Image . Image . Image
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Big Tea wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:
It have been a pleasure to talk with all of you supporting Honda. But right now I'm leaving the forum, no need to keep seeing this because we know who will win, and who will continue to win.

What, not only do you only come here for the F1, but for only Honda F1? :mrgreen:

There is more to life, even here
I'm here for the F1. Been watching it and going to Barcelona all years since 1997. But I'm also a fan of Honda since the BAR days (was a kid when Senna was on Mclaren Honda)

But right now I have not much interest on seeing the same team winning and no one is able to do anything. At least Honda keep things interesting seeing its progress with RB. But now that's over too. I'm not interested on Merc, Ferrari or Renault teams. And right now the small teams are simply puppets. Maybe it's just right now I'm frustrated, because now it's less interesting on a technical view if you loose a manufacturer...

Marti_EF3

Wouter wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:49
Marti_EF3 wrote:

https://media.tenor.com/images/8b41a1bf ... /tenor.gif . https://media.tenor.com/images/7fc60604 ... /tenor.gif . https://media.tenor.com/images/0852de44 ... /tenor.gif
Maybe :lol:

Marti_EF3

etusch wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:31
Marti_EF3 wrote:

Come on @marti. Stay with us at least untill 2022 :mrgreen:
They should buy the Honda PU rights and keep with it, that would be great...

KelsO

Well. I do not think that Honda left F1 because of the development of a new direction, I think deep down she was just disappointed in this circus. We heard (read) that Honda made inquiries with the FIA, but they were not allowed to implement their solutions, remember the Japanese GP 2018, when Honda was forced to return software (although it was initially allowed), which was changed for reliability reasons, at the same time we see how the FIA ​​allows Mercedes to use 5 years of burning oil in cylinders, which is a direct violation of the regulations, we see how they allowed the use of DAS, others simply could not think that such a system could be legal. I am sure that the current superiority of PU Mercedes is due to another gray zone and the patronage of the FIA. Honda is too proud and perhaps too diplomatic to name the real reason for leaving.
At the same time, Honda announces its retirement from F1 due to a changing strategy and immediately renews its participation in the Indycar, where conventional engines are used and is only going to introduce KERS, which was abandoned in F1 almost 10 years ago.
Well, this is our world, instead of facing the truth and solving problems, it is better to deceive yourself with a pseudo-positive strategy and write a thousand unnecessary, deceitful, hypocritical identical press releases. (I'm talking about F1 and the FIA)

selvam_e2002

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:58
Wouter wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:49
Marti_EF3 wrote:

https://media.tenor.com/images/8b41a1bf ... /tenor.gif . https://media.tenor.com/images/7fc60604 ... /tenor.gif . https://media.tenor.com/images/0852de44 ... /tenor.gif
Maybe :lol:
to add to it, all milliners son coming to F1 for time pass :D

etusch

The NTT IndyCar Series has pushed back the introduction of its hybrid power unit formula to 2023 in an effort to spread out costs for teams and manufacturers in an uncertain economy.

Ted Klaus, president of Honda Performance Development, said: “Honda welcomes this step to the future by IndyCar, action that mirrors Honda’s efforts to develop and manufacture high performance, electrified products that will meet industry challenges and delight our customers."
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... n=widget-1

etusch

Mogster

KelsO wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 23:52
Well. I do not think that Honda left F1 because of the development of a new direction, I think deep down she was just disappointed in this circus. We heard (read) that Honda made inquiries with the FIA, but they were not allowed to implement their solutions, remember the Japanese GP 2018, when Honda was forced to return software (although it was initially allowed), which was changed for reliability reasons, at the same time we see how the FIA ​​allows Mercedes to use 5 years of burning oil in cylinders, which is a direct violation of the regulations, we see how they allowed the use of DAS, others simply could not think that such a system could be legal. I am sure that the current superiority of PU Mercedes is due to another gray zone and the patronage of the FIA. Honda is too proud and perhaps too diplomatic to name the real reason for leaving.
At the same time, Honda announces its retirement from F1 due to a changing strategy and immediately renews its participation in the Indycar, where conventional engines are used and is only going to introduce KERS, which was abandoned in F1 almost 10 years ago.
Well, this is our world, instead of facing the truth and solving problems, it is better to deceive yourself with a pseudo-positive strategy and write a thousand unnecessary, deceitful, hypocritical identical press releases. (I'm talking about F1 and the FIA)
The Indycar Honda engines and support are just down to Honda US, the engines are built and supported by HPD in the US. the F1 engines are prepared by HRD Sakura in Japan, Honda’s global R&D base. It’s an important distinction. It’s similar to Team Dynamics BTCC engines being prepared by Honda Swindon, it’s got very little to do with Honda global.

Big Tea

RS200E wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 18:56
KelsO wrote:
A massive corporation like Honda doesn't need or deserve a normal person to make excuses for them. They failed again in the pinnacle of motorsport. They know that, everyone else should too.
That really depends on what it was they wanted to achieve. :mrgreen:

TBH, I also think they have realised that despite throwing money at it for several years, they are not at the same level as Merc, and are not likely to be during the life of this engine spec.

However, they have come in with a new design, which in reality was poor, modified it and stepped up each year.

It now appears to be a fine engine, and if Merc (team, not engine) was not there could well be in contention for the championship.

A runner does not stop because he knows he cannot beat the better guy infront of him, but when it stops being fun.

Honda seem to have hit the point where more fun means far more cash than they are willing ti invest, as they do not see appropriate returns on it.

Failed? yes failed to win the championship, but not to build a very good engine of a completely different type in a very intense environment with many artificial limitations placed on them (not them individually, but all F1 constructors)

If I was Honda, I would be proud (but very sad)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 19:17

Failed? yes failed to win the championship, but not to build a very good engine of a completely different type in a very intense environment with many artificial limitations placed on them (not them individually, but all F1 constructors)

mercedes wdc is almost guarantied by Fia but there is still a small possibility for 2021 wdc for Redbull Honda.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 22:48
Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 19:17

mercedes wdc is almost guarantied by Fia but there is still a small possibility for 2021 wdc for Redbull Honda.
Would it not be typical of Honda (in F1) to win and bug out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Revs84

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:56
Big Tea wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:

What, not only do you only come here for the F1, but for only Honda F1? :mrgreen:

There is more to life, even here
I'm here for the F1. Been watching it and going to Barcelona all years since 1997. But I'm also a fan of Honda since the BAR days (was a kid when Senna was on Mclaren Honda)

But right now I have not much interest on seeing the same team winning and no one is able to do anything. At least Honda keep things interesting seeing its progress with RB. But now that's over too. I'm not interested on Merc, Ferrari or Renault teams. And right now the small teams are simply puppets. Maybe it's just right now I'm frustrated, because now it's less interesting on a technical view if you loose a manufacturer...
I completely understand you. However, you can't just stop following them now when there's still one whole season to play for.

I started watching F1 again in 2017, when by chance, I read an article about how much Honda was struggling after changing their PU architecture. I hadn't followed F1 for 22 years as I had lost interest, but hearing about Honda's struggles, made me want to start following their journey in F1 and do my bit to support them.

And what a journey that has been... Seeing them going from having an engine breaking every other race, to becoming race-winning in such a short time and from such a huge deficit, is nothing short of incredible.

For me it's this timing that made me furious and extremely disappointed that they're leaving. After so much that they, and us fans, endured, as soon as their PU becomes so good, they decide to call it quits.

But when you stop and think about it, it does make sense to a certain point. They might not have won any championships, yet, but there's nothing much left for them to gain or prove if they stay.

They're the only PU manufacturer to have won with 2 teams, regardless of the circumstances. They've won races and are pretty much on the podium every weekend.

But most importantly, who is to say that they don't already have the best PU right now if all loopholes were to be closed? Everyone was in awe at Ferrari's power last year and see how that turned out once proper policing was done.

So what's the point of continuing to spend millions in pursuit of minor improvements to compete with other PU manufacturers, when others could might just be exploiting loop holes? Not saying they are, but again, look at what happened with Ferrari. So who knows?

Taking into consideration the financial impact from the pandemic and the sudden rush for alternative energy, doesn't it make sense that Honda reallocates such valuable resources to a much bigger and better cause?

One in which they won't just chase meagre tenths, but great leaps forward for mankind. They said it themselves that they seek to become carbon neutral by 2050 and seeing how far back technologies still are (yes manufacturers are still very much light years behind) it all starts making sense.

Would I have wanted them to stay in the sports? Of course I would have!! Especially as I will probably become just a casual viewer come 2022. But at this point, the only thing we can do is to understand them and respect their decision.

And seeing that Honda might not return to the sport for a very very long time, if ever, let's enjoy the remaining 28 races, or so, that remain, and hope that in 2021 they will deliver a PU that everyone will talk about for a very long time :) Who knows, maybe it will also be the year they finally win the championship.

So chin up mate, and let's enjoy these last 14 months together until Honda are still there :)

Lock2nl

Mogster wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 16:17
KelsO wrote:
The Indycar Honda engines and support are just down to Honda US, the engines are built and supported by HPD in the US. the F1 engines are prepared by HRD Sakura in Japan, Honda’s global R&D base. It’s an important distinction. It’s similar to Team Dynamics BTCC engines being prepared by Honda Swindon, it’s got very little to do with Honda global.
Not really. It is all still Honda. If Honda states F1 is not helping them to on the road to fuel cells and EV's, neither does Indy. Maybe the excuse is that finances are separated, but it still garantuees a double message. Not a very strong message.
If the really wanted to show the world they were going to go green, they would have dumped both. But Honda does not care about going green. They just needed money to stay in the car business. That is why F1 was dumped.

Revs84

Lock2nl wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 00:08
Mogster wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 16:17
KelsO wrote:
Not really. It is all still Honda. If Honda states F1 is not helping them to on the road to fuel cells and EV's, neither does Indy. Maybe the excuse is that finances are separated, but it still garantuees a double message. Not a very strong message.
If the really wanted to show the world they were going to go green, they would have dumped both. But Honda does not care about going green. They just needed money to stay in the car business. That is why F1 was dumped.
Not really. The US, after Asia, is Honda's biggest market. They have a great reputation there and people appreciate their efforts and participation.

They are also extremely successful in IndyCar, but more importantly, it is much more commercially viable for them as (if I'm not mistaken) they get paid for supplying engines.

Not to mention the fact that in the US gasoline is quite cheap and I see most people being reluctant to switch to electric cars for a very long time.

Honda were one of the very first manufacturers who dreamt and pushed towards becoming carbon neutral - way before many other manufacturers, so saying they don't care about going green is a big, fat and unfair lie.