General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

RACE REVIEW IMOLAImage

A heartbreaking race for the Honda-powered teams, with hopes of a second place finish dashed in the closing stages, was brightened by an excellent drive from Daniil to pick up a fourth place for Scuderia AlphaTauri at Imola. Max made an excellent start to run second behind Valtteri Bottas, while Pierre was attacking Lewis Hamilton for third but had to back out and dropped behind Daniel Ricciardo at Turn 2. Running fifth, unfortunately a coolant issue meant we had to retire Pierre’s car early on. After the race, the AlphaTauri team traced the fault to a crack in a radiator. Alex dropped to seventh at the start and was back up to sixth after Pierre’s retirement, but was forced into an early pit stop after Charles Leclerc went for an undercut. Stopping on lap 14 for hard tyres - with Daniil doing the same right behind him - Alex held position in a net sixth. Max stopped for hard tyres on lap 18 in an attempt to undercut Bottas who was struggling with a damaged car, but Mercedes responded a lap later and just stayed ahead. Hamilton then ran long and a fortunately-timed Virtual Safety Car when Esteban Ocon retired meant he could make his pit stop and retain the lead. Despite the difficulty of overtaking at Imola, Max kept the pressure up on Bottas and eventually forced him into a mistake, passing around the outside into Tamburello on lap 43 to take second place. While Max was able to match Hamilton’s pace, he was over ten seconds adrift by that point and looked to be cruising home in second place when a sudden right rear tyre failure took him out of the race. That caused the Safety Car to be deployed, and Red Bull opted to leave Alex out while AlphaTauri stopped Daniil for fresh softs. The race restarted with six laps remaining and Daniil was sensational on the restart on soft tyres, passing both Sergio Perez - who had also stopped for softs - and Alex immediately to run fifth. Unfortunately Alex then spun on cold tyres and dropped to the back of the field, finishing 15th as the incident happened so late on. Ahead, Daniil then pulled a stunning move around the outside of Leclerc for fourth at Turn 9 to make it three places gained in one lap before putting pressure on Ricciardo, finishing 0.8s adrift of the podium at the chequered flag.

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

Overall, this was a disappointing race for us, although there were some positive aspects, with Daniil making the most of the opportunity provided by the Safety Car period at the end to give AlphaTauri an excellent fourth place at their home race. In addition, both our teams were competitive all weekend, Max running second before his retirement caused by a tyre problem and Pierre qualifying fourth yesterday. However, losing second place right at the end is very frustrating as was having to retire Pierre with a failed radiator. Finally, congratulations to Mercedes on a seventh consecutive title. They are a very strong team but we continue to work hard with the aim of catching and passing them. Now we focus on the next round in Turkey, at the Istanbul Park circuit, which is a great track for Formula 1 cars.

Word from the drivers:

https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2020 ... racereview
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Yuki at Imola today. He has to drive 300km because he has no 25 license points yet (needed for a FP),
so he can take part of a Free Practice in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi if needed.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter on 04 Nov 2020, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Mission accomplished!

The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Very nice. Looks a natural.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

etusch

Wouter wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 11:09

I love this engine sound

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

bigblue

Always happy to see the RA272, absolutely awesome car ! Any particular reason for the picture etusch ?

etusch

bigblue wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 18:08
Always happy to see the RA272, absolutely awesome car ! Any particular reason for the picture etusch ?
only reason is it is honda 8)

Wouter

PRACTICE

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing and Scuderia AlphaTauri rose to the challenge of practice on a track that was more of an ice rink than a race circuit, as Max led the way at the Turkish Grand Prix. Returning to Istanbul Park for the first time since 2011, the teams were greeted with a new track surface that had also been washed prior to practice taking place. With no support racing this weekend, the grip level was spectacularly low, with Max describing it as “like ice” on his first run in FP1 and conditions barely improving during the opening session. By the end of FP1, the fastest time was some 15 seconds away from what had been predicted before the weekend despite all running taking place on slick tyres, but it was the Honda-powered drivers who dealt with the conditions best as Max and Alex registered a one-two for Red Bull, taking part in its 300th GP this weekend, ahead of Pierre in fourth and Daniil in sixth.

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

Formula 1’s first day of action at the Istanbul Park circuit since 2011 was made difficult for all teams and drivers through a combination of factors: a new track surface that had no rubber on it and low track temperatures through both sessions, meaning there was very little grip. Along with our two teams, we therefore adapted our settings to suit the evolving track conditions. Nevertheless, across our two teams and four cars we were able to acquire plenty of useful data from the first day of running at this track with the hybrid PUs. If it’s dry tomorrow, we can expect the track conditions to continue to improve and we will take that into account in our PU settings, although the forecast is for occasional rain, so we will ensure we are flexible and ready for whatever the track is like during qualifying.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Because of sandy surface of track, race organizators running road cars on track to clean the surface. I think they are doing itwrong. This is condition of track and it is up to drivers to Challenge.
By the way, I watched a video today; a Government officer says that they made a video for promotion of Istanbul City. Many of twitter sharings and videos @wouter shared here were small parts from that film and we will see longer and full version of it soon. But it will contain seesights of Istanbul more than Redbull cars.

Wouter

etusch wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:52
Because of sandy surface of track, race organizators running road cars on track to clean the surface. I think they are doing itwrong. This is condition of track and it is up to drivers to Challenge.
Motorsport Turkey says otherwise.

To increase the grip on the track, several vehicles drive on the track despite the night. # F1 # TurkishGP

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 22:22
etusch wrote:

To increase the grip on the track, several vehicles drive on the track despite the night. # F1 # TurkishGP

I don't know if I said it wrong. Yes they are trying to clean but it is.wrong it must stay how it is. Race drivers must handle it

Wouter

etusch wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 22:25
Wouter wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 22:22
etusch wrote:

I don't know if I said it wrong. Yes they are trying to clean but it is.wrong it must stay how it is. Race drivers must handle it
I have understood from other articles that the intention is to get rubber on the track,
(because only the F1 cars are running there and no other race classes this weekend).
Maybe I misunderstood that.

"Race drivers must handle it." ??
Do you know how dangerous this track will be in Q1 and at the race start?
The Power of Dreams!