General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Wouter

Honda explains key changes to 2021 F1 engine
By: Jonathan Noble
Feb 19, 2021, 9:12 AM
Honda has explained the key changes it has made to its Formula 1 engine for this season, after revealing it has hit its performance targets over the winter.

"On the dyno the numbers we have seen match what we expected," he explained as AlphaTauri revealed its 2021 challenger. "Let's see how competitive we can be on track in the actual races."

Tanabe said that some areas of the power unit had been the focus of bigger changes, as Honda looked to make gains compared to the opposition.

"It is difficult to be specific about which parts have seen the most work, but in order to improve power and reliability, we have made modifications to the ICE, turbine and ERS," he explained.

"This is our third year with Scuderia AlphaTauri and in order to improve as a whole, we have also improved the installation and packaging of the entire PU."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... n=widget-1

bigblue

Fans of a certain Japanese car company will be happy about the rear wing ! Like the good old times, lets hope the performance is too ;-)

etusch

They are saying in that article that they get what they expected at dyno. I hope their expectation is at least +10/15 hp more than last years mercedes engine performance. :D

Dee
Dee

etusch wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:21 pm
They are saying in that article that they get what they expected at dyno. I hope their expectation is at least +10/15 hp more than last years mercedes engine performance. :D
Rumours are of 40HP increase for Honda this year, they were approx 20HP behind Mercedes last year. Mercedes will increase by another 25HP if what they say is true so depending on accuracy there may be 5HP approx between them which isn't much at all

Wouter

Dee wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:34 pm
etusch wrote:
Rumours are of 40HP increase for Honda this year, they were approx 20HP behind Mercedes last year. Mercedes will increase by another 25HP if what they say is true so depending on accuracy there may be 5HP approx between them which isn't much at all
First off, I think those 40 HP are a bit on the low end. By the way, it's not all about the HPs, because I am convinced that Honda will certainly be on a level with Mercedes, but what is very important is how long the driver can use that extra 160HP of the ERS system during a lap and I think they've made a huge leap there.

Dee
Dee

Wouter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Dee wrote:
etusch wrote:
First off, I think those 40 HP are a bit on the low end. By the way, it's not all about the HPs, because I am convinced that Honda will certainly be on a level with Mercedes, but what is very important is how long the driver can use that extra 160HP of the ERS system during a lap and I think they've made a huge leap there.
That sounds so promising! What have you read that gives you this indication?

Wouter

Dee wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Wouter wrote:
Dee wrote:

Honda always introduced 25-35 HP with a new spec in 2019. Last season they were not allowed to change / upgrade a new spec. Behind the scenes, however, the engine was further developed. Add to that the development during the winter break and the fact that Honda is already going to use the even further developed 2022 engine, I think, again, I think that 40 HP is very on the low side.
And a better ERS performance is said by Honda people in newsarticles from the past week.

dren

I'm hearing Honda gained over 100hp to make up for the aero losses the Red Bull chassis took a hit on. Those 100hps are in and around the horsepower makin' area at the back of the car. This should put them on par with Mercedes, give or take some amount of power and track performance that's yet to be seen.
Honda!

Dee
Dee

Wouter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 pm
Dee wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Honda always introduced 25-35 HP with a new spec in 2019. Last season they were not allowed to change / upgrade a new spec. Behind the scenes, however, the engine was further developed. Add to that the development during the winter break and the fact that Honda is already going to use the even further developed 2022 engine, I think, again, I think that 40 HP is very on the low side.
And a better ERS performance is said by Honda people in newsarticles from the past week.
Didn't Honda introduce their Spec 2 2020 engine that was better in performance than 2019?

Wouter

Dee wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:39 pm
Wouter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 pm
Dee wrote:

Didn't Honda introduce their Spec 2 2020 engine that was better in performance than 2019?
I don't understand what you mean / want to know / want to say.
Each new engine at the start of a new season is better than the last engine from the previous season.

_cerber1

dren wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm
I'm hearing Honda gained over 100hp to make up for the aero losses the Red Bull chassis took a hit on. Those 100hps are in and around the horsepower makin' area at the back of the car. This should put them on par with Mercedes, give or take some amount of power and track performance that's yet to be seen.
Don't hold yourself back, 100, 200, 300 hp

Seriously, have you ever gone to the mountains, to a decent height? If yes, then you should understand that the higher you climb, the harder it is to take the next step, many stop without reaching the top. It's the same with motors, it is impossible to constantly increase the power. Each next increase in power will be much harder for you.

Sieper

_cerber1 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:45 pm
dren wrote:

Seriously, have you ever gone to the mountains, to a decent height? If yes, then you should understand that the higher you climb, the harder it is to take the next step, many stop without reaching the top. It's the same with motors, it is impossible to constantly increase the power. Each next increase in power will be much harder for you.
Yeah, well. But Merc can do it last year. We will see. Soon enough.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

Wouter

Sieper wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 pm
_cerber1 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:45 pm
dren wrote:

Yeah, well. But Merc can do it last year. We will see. Soon enough.
@Sieper, @Dren was making a joke with the 100HP, a very good one I think. :-)

Snorked
Snorked

Honda's F1 program killing CEO is retiring, is the new CEO an F1 fan and is it too late to reverse the decision to pullout? 😆