General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
velizare
velizare

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

El Scorchio wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 am
Wouter wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:58 am
Type-Rem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:41 am

Wow, did he really say sloppiness coming from Honda?? That is quite shocking!
No, he didn't say sloppiness. Thats what the author made of it. It is difficult to translate.
Marko said: ""Es gab in der Vorbereitung kleinere Probleme, die aber auf Schlampereien zurückzuführen waren.
Es war nichts, was vom Mechanischen oder Elektronischen her gravierende Probleme geben sollte."

I don't know the English word for it. It is an expression from Austria.
Google also translated it as 'sloppiness' in the context of the sentence. Amusingly if you just enter 'Schlampereien' on it's own, it says 'sluts'. Damn those sluts, ruining the preparation. I wonder if they were accounted for within the budget cap... ;)
"schlamperei", or "schlamp sein" is some kind of laziness. like being bad-dressed just out of neglect. so its something looking bad, but can change in no time, provided there is pure will to do so. it also gets used to mocking someone, on a very friendship way, like old friends used to do.

lio007

ispano6 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:41 am
lio007 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:49 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 am

Google also translated it as 'sloppiness' in the context of the sentence. Amusingly if you just enter 'Schlampereien' on it's own, it says 'sluts'. Damn those sluts, ruining the preparation. I wonder if they were accounted for within the budget cap... ;)
I saw it live yesterday and I don't get it why this "Schlampereien" is linked to Honda. It could also be on RBR's side. It's not entirely clear from what Helmut Marko said. Here in Austria the "Schlampereien" is not always in a negativ / serious context. You can understand it the way that they had some "loose cable ties and therefore something got loose that souldn't"-kind of problems. This kind of things we call "Schlampereien" here in Austria :)
Was this in regard to the shakedown of the Rb16b? I thought there was a comment regarding the RB16b shakedown didn't go smooth. If it's installation and harness issues they better triple check it and follow the instruction manuals if you know what I mean. I would be irate if the glitches of last year are present this year. No excuses.
I got the impression, he somehow referred to the shakedown, although he didn't mention the shakedown specifically.

Wouter

I'm curious how the Honda engine will perform here. However, varying temperatures!
Friday 32 degrees Celsius
Saturday 22 degrees Celsius
Sunday 21 degrees Celsius

Wouter

Wouter

Testing day 3 is over! Honda on place 1 and 2 !! Max and Yuki, both on fire !! =D> =D> =D>

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Wouter wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:56 pm
I'm curious how the Honda engine will perform here. However, varying temperatures!
Friday 32 degrees Celsius
Saturday 22 degrees Celsius
Sunday 21 degrees Celsius

Considering the last race there and Honda's performance in preseason testing, i think it will be quite good in the coming race :wink:

Sulman
Sulman

There's a strange vibe around Honda this year. They don't look like an organization that is going to throw in the towel at the end of the year. Imagine if they take the championship with Red Bull, maybe a podium or two for Tsunoda in the bargain, and then leave. In their moment of triumph? That's very un-japanese.

It's as if there is a faction within the company that has an appetite for F1, and they're going for it.

Wouter

Honda complete over 4000km in Bahrain, as F1 Testing comes to a close.

Report: https://honda.racing/f1/post/honda-comp ... in-bahrain

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

Pre-season testing ended this evening at the Sakhir circuit and over the three days, Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda completed 422 laps and Red Bull Racing Honda did 369, making a total of 791 for the Honda Power Unit, equivalent to 4281 kilometres. This satisfactory mileage means we now have plenty of valuable and relevant data to study to help us prepare for the first race of the season, which takes place on this same track. As with all tests in this early part of the year, there were a few problems on the PU side and the chassis side, but overall, the reliability and general performance level of both cars was good and we got through all our planned programme with both teams. We will now have a busy two weeks, looking at what we have learned and implementing any necessary changes in order to be in the best possible shape for the Bahrain Grand Prix, because we are determined to have a strong start to the season.

Wouter

Max and Yuki on fire with their Honda engine. Max on C4 and Yuki on C5. Yuki with full engine power.
Yuki even makes less steering movements here than Max. That AT02 is very stable on the circuit.

Juzh

Wouter wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm
Yuki with full engine power.
His top speed was around 314 kmh on all his fast laps, this obviously is not full power as AT had more than 320 km/h last year in Q3. Same goes for Verstappen except his engine was turned down even more to something comparable to free practice 1 levels.

Sasha
Sasha

Red Bull wins both Championships( driver and team) and the Japanese driver wins a race or two.

In both teams the PU in 2022 will have RB branding.

But it doesn't stop Honda sponsoring both teams.
So no Honda on the PU but could be Honda on the cars and drivers.

flexcon
flexcon

Sulman wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:41 am
There's a strange vibe around Honda this year. They don't look like an organization that is going to throw in the towel at the end of the year. Imagine if they take the championship with Red Bull, maybe a podium or two for Tsunoda in the bargain, and then leave. In their moment of triumph? That's very un-japanese.

It's as if there is a faction within the company that has an appetite for F1, and they're going for it.
I raised a similar pondering question.

So the engine regs freeze end of the year = Near zero development costs.
Honda is still seemingly pouring lots of money and resources right until midnight end of the year.
Honda has agreed to give substantial people over as part of the Engine deal.

So why not stay in F1 now? Little to no development costs, you don't loose so many talented engineers to Redbull, and you get HONDA on the rear wing. You enjoy your Glory.

I would have thought it's no more cheaper to pull out then to stay on. The only costs being the engine build and some staff.
Last edited by flexcon on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tangodjango
tangodjango

flexcon wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am
Sulman wrote:

Honda is still seemingly pouring lots of money and resources right until midnight end of the year.

So why not stay in F1 now? Little to no development costs, you don't loose so many talented engineers to Redbull, and you get HONDA on the rear wing.

I would have thought it's no more cheaper to pull out then to stay on. The only costs being the engine build and some staff.
Yep agree with you. Infact given the budget cap they could even make Red Bull stump up a major part of their operating costs from 22-25 which Red Bull would probably be happy to do as they would have works status.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Big Tea

flexcon wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am
Sulman wrote:

So why not stay in F1 now? Little to no development costs, you don't loose so many talented engineers to Redbull, and you get HONDA on the rear wing. You enjoy your Glory.

It seems it may well be a back door way of being in F1 without the bad publicity part of cost and environmental.
What they were gaining as development could continue as engineers are 'swapped' in and out, and even if no paperwork (files really) are delivered to Honda, the people who did the development still hold this knowledge and skills.

At the moment everyone knows it is a Honda engine, so with very slight 'badge engineering' it would be easy to bring the brand back into the Honda fold. Quite clever?
We are sitting on the shoulders of giants so we can see more things than they can

Sieper

I think honda upper management was genuine when the pulled out, but in reality it may mean, RBR paying a bit more, Honda racing department desperately wanting to go on, Tsunoda arriving in F1, it turns out like you think Big Tea. Especially now with the freeze a reality.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/