General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
topleb
topleb

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

They should have stuck with Honda, as much as I admire F.Alonso as a driver, the future of the team backed by an Engine manufacturer with lots of resources seems more important than keeping a legendary driver or a brilliant architect. I'm sure they did what they did taking into consideration the future of the team, but that's only my honest opinion.

j.yank
j.yank

restless wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:31
NathanOlder wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:18
agree'd maybe a new thread for "A season with the least mistakes" ?

Back to Honda, I do wonder , If Mclaren tried so hard to make Honda look bad, surely they would have known when Honda went to another team they would start doing a lot better and people would see what Mclaren were up to ? Right now, If Honda wasn't so professional in their approach, they could be using social media to make Mclaren look very very silly.
the decision to switch was made right after winter 2017 tests (there were plenty hints)
Mclaren lost faith that Honda will fix the engine. It was partly political decision - I can imagine key people like Alonso & Prodromu wanted out... can't blame them. The situation was very hard for the team and managers.
I think decision to switch was taken back in 2016 immediately after firing Ron Denis. Thsi is not coincidence that the Amazon film starts exactly with this.

etusch

j.yank wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:21
restless wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:31
NathanOlder wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:18
agree'd maybe a new thread for "A season with the least mistakes" ?

Back to Honda, I do wonder , If Mclaren tried so hard to make Honda look bad, surely they would have known when Honda went to another team they would start doing a lot better and people would see what Mclaren were up to ? Right now, If Honda wasn't so professional in their approach, they could be using social media to make Mclaren look very very silly.
the decision to switch was made right after winter 2017 tests (there were plenty hints)
Mclaren lost faith that Honda will fix the engine. It was partly political decision - I can imagine key people like Alonso & Prodromu wanted out... can't blame them. The situation was very hard for the team and managers.
I think decision to switch was taken back in 2016 immediately after firing Ron Denis. Thsi is not coincidence that the Amazon film starts exactly with this.
That is what I thought too

McMika98
McMika98

I get the sense that the Australia spec engine is the more conservative engine and than one tested last week.
Wazari, would like to know your thoughts on this.
An anomaly on the engine observed towards the end which stopped running. Disappointing end as i was expecting 200 laps which would have been a result.
Anyways looking forward to Australia.

bigblue

Usual cheery take on things from skysports !
Toro Rosso did better than expected, with the reliability of their Honda engine the chief factor in the defied expectations. But it should be noted the team used as many power units - three - as they will be allowed to run through the entirety of the 21-race season.
(James Key mentioned only a single engine was used in the second test, and two in the first test "we were cycling them" - may have been alternating day-to-day, as kasio suggests over in the Honda Power Unit thread).

PlatinumZealot

McMika98 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:19
Honda's reliability has been so good that the clowns in sky F1, especially a muppet by the name of Ted thinks that they have been changing the engine every night without telling anyone to show the reliability. LFMAO :lol: :lol:
He is insinuating its the view of competition when infact its the agenda driven guttersnipe media he is a part of. Benson may be the queen of biased broadcast corp but is giving a run for his money. Its the reason why i no longer follow Hamilton as he is God in their eyes.
Hamilton fans think Ted and Benson both hate him so go figure.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

makecry
makecry

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:47
McMika98 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:19
Honda's reliability has been so good that the clowns in sky F1, especially a muppet by the name of Ted thinks that they have been changing the engine every night without telling anyone to show the reliability. LFMAO :lol: :lol:
He is insinuating its the view of competition when infact its the agenda driven guttersnipe media he is a part of. Benson may be the queen of biased broadcast corp but is giving a run for his money. Its the reason why i no longer follow Hamilton as he is God in their eyes.
Hamilton fans think Ted and Benson both hate him so go figure.
Sky's Hamilton worship really really was over the top between 2014-2016. I can't imagine why any Hamilton fan would think that Ted hates him lol so his "still I rise" schtick seems to be working if his fans think everyone is against him lol. Anyway not the thread for that so I wont dwelve on it.

McMika98
McMika98

Unsurprisingly Benson has published his preseason report and didnt dissapoint with his digs at Honda. Basically points out the issue at end of testing to reemphasise their flaws from last year. The best line is the statement that they are still the worst engine as they have same power levels as last year, totally uncalled for and smacks of fanboyism.

hasika
hasika

http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/inde ... 97&tt=1170

Honda used 3 PU in first test mainly to test as many different parts as possible,its a most efficient way.
But the in the second test,they only used 1 PU in four days because they want to check the reliability.

Squid
Squid

McMika98 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 12:55
Unsurprisingly Benson has published his preseason report and didnt dissapoint with his digs at Honda. Basically points out the issue at end of testing to reemphasise their flaws from last year. The best line is the statement that they are still the worst engine as they have same power levels as last year, totally uncalled for and smacks of fanboyism.
An issue after the engine ran 7.5 race distances, half a race more than what it needs to run during the season to remain within the 3 engine allocation. Yeah, disastrous. :roll:

Wouter

hasika wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 15:32
http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/inde ... 97&tt=1170

Honda used 3 PU in first test mainly to test as many different parts as possible,its a most efficient way.
But the in the second test,they only used 1 PU in four days because they want to check the reliability.
Thank you for the article, Hasika.
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Squid wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 20:58
McMika98 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 12:55
An issue after the engine ran 7.5 race distances, half a race more than what it needs to run during the season to remain within the 3 engine allocation. Yeah, disastrous. :roll:
Don't forget these 3 engines in a season need to run 7 race distances PLUS 7 qualy sessions and 21 practice sessions each.

So 7 races is probably not even half of what an engine needs to do.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wazari

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 00:52
Don't forget these 3 engines in a season need to run 7 race distances PLUS 7 qualy sessions and 21 practice sessions each.

So 7 races is probably not even half of what an engine needs to do.
You will run about 750 KM per car per each race weekend outside of Monaco.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

etusch

With this new rule nobody try to make so much lap at practice sessions and maybe Friday will canceled

NathanOlder

etusch wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 08:11
With this new rule nobody try to make so much lap at practice sessions and maybe Friday will canceled
Maybe so, after checking, Last year Bottas on the friday in Melbourne did 313km. Saturday he did 133km, Race day was 303km.

So a total of 749km at 1 race weekend. (exactly what Wazari said)

I don't think the teams will reduce their running they still need to learn the cars and optimise setups.

So 7 races is 5250km

Mercedes did the most mileage as a team, did they use just 1 engine for the whole test ? If they did, that engine did 4841km so thats about the same as doing 6 full GP weekends, plus Friday practice sessions from the 7th. So they didnt get the Saturday practice, Qualy and Race from that final race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC