General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MrPotatoHead

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

I'm starting to wonder what kind of substance some here are smoking...
Red Bull will not be swapping to Honda engines this season and honestly Honda have a LONG way to go before they would be worthy of being in a 2019 Red Bull.

bigblue

It's certainly not a done deal yet, reliability needs to be proved - so far OK, admittedly not perfect, but tolerable. Admittedly, we're only three races in. Power needs a decent step.

Anyway, what is the lead-time on integrating a new engine ? Would RB and Honda already be having preliminary "what-if" talks, say about general packaging and layout, or is it way too early, and not worth bothering yet ?

Edit : poorly worded, I meant for next-season ! Quoted this post and asked more clearly a few posts on.
Last edited by bigblue on 24 Apr 2018, 09:13, edited 2 times in total.

techman

Red Bull will not be swapping to Honda engines this season and honestly Honda have a LONG way to go before they would be worthy of being in a 2019 Red Bull.
honda are worthy to be with redbull, even swapping this season can be a possiblity by midseason if the renault keeps breaking down. according to their boss dietr M , the honda is equal to renault and with a big step coming in canada it will all make it better for redbull. renault have their own team and the only reason renault is shining is because the redbull best efficient chassis. no redbull for renault no wins for renaults . redbull honda according to some is already a done deal. someone posted a job link for honda team project leader in milton keyes. could it be for redbull honda project? i hope so.

TR chassis was a long way off last year redbull and this year its an evolution and the drivers are rookies. so it will take some time but with all that TR i belive is doing good. Put the honda in a redbull and pretty guarantee it will shine and win. TR top speeds are a good indication of the honda progress.

Talisman

Do you have any idea what a mid season swap entails? If you did you wouldn’t dare float the idea.

The only way a mid season swap would happen is if Renault F1 physically stopped existing mid summer. Get this ridiculous idea out of your head.

Having said that if the renaults continue to blow in the Red Bulls then Honda will have half their work done for them, getting the supply deal for 2019 is a strong possibility but hardly a done deal.

PhillipM

What Talisman said, for a technical site there are some people here that don't seem to have a clue how much work goes into the cars.

MrPotatoHead

Ok let’s be serious here.
There is zero chance of a mid season swap. Zero.
In order for that to happen they would have to already have the design work done and be manufacturing parts.
You really think they would DOUBLE the work required at this point in the season at the factory to do this?
Some serious BS.

MrPotatoHead

And if Honda isn’t getting on the podium reliably this season why would RB swap to them?
I must be watching a different championship from some of you here 😂

loner

MrPotatoHead wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:09
you guys never get bored from repeating this ?
Honda is almost equal with Renault and they both are inferior to Mercedes and Ferrari
Honda don't lack harvesting in long straits that was in the past not anymore but they need about 50-70 hp more from ICE.
RBR will use Honda PU in 2019
RBR will ditch renault PU at the end of 2018 season and it is very wise from them to develop the current STR chassis if they want to start 2019 hitting the ground strongly to challenge for the 2019 title.
para bellum.

MrPotatoHead

loner wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:36
MrPotatoHead wrote:
Honda is almost equal with Renault and they both are inferior to Mercedes and Ferrari
Honda don't lack harvesting in long straits that was in the past not anymore but they need about 50-70 hp more from ICE.
RBR will ditch renault PU at the end of 2018 season and it is very wise from them to develop the current STR chassis if they want to start 2019 hitting the ground strongly to challenge for the 2019 title.
No I never get bored quoting facts.
Please look at the performance of the Renault teams from the races so far this year vs the Honda powered TR.

Again RB will only ditch the Renault for the Honda IF it can produce the same results or better.

!Technical

MrPotatoHead wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:39
loner wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:36
MrPotatoHead wrote:
No I never get bored quoting facts.
Please look at the performance of the Renault teams from the races so far this year vs the Honda powered TR.

Again RB will only ditch the Renault for the Honda IF it can produce the same results or better.
I'm with MrSpudHead.

Absolutely no chance of a mid season swap. That can happen for drivers because all that's required is a seat change and some other minor modifications.

Also with you with regards to the Honda situation. It remains to be seen whether it is a good enough PU for a top team like RBR. It will take many more races, mountains of data comparisons to determine that. Aston Martin will have a say in this as well, being the title partner, they will not want to see cars breaking down every race.

techman

And if Honda isn’t getting on the podium reliably this season why would RB swap to them?
I must be watching a different championship from some of you here 😂
its funny that people think TR should get podiums this season if redbull were to get them. are you serious #-o :D . did the TR get podiums last season with a renault engine? No, they were a long way off.there is no way for TR to match redbull chassis. most likely it will only be between redbull ferrari and mercedes to get podiums this season. and possibly big luck can cause a midfiled team to get a podium. TR top speed are even better than redbulls , like i said according to redbull boss DM honda is equal to renault and is more compact engine and remember honda are bringing a big update soon. And also another big disadvantage for TR is the driver line up.i just wish they had an experience driver but no :( .the redbull will get a works project and a better engine . like i said before there are rumours the project has already started backdoors. if redbull goes with honda which is likely , then there would be no renault winnner next year. oops sorry.
just because you have a powerfull engine doesnt guaratee podiums. you want examples williams, sauber. A strong efficient chassis plus good drivers is a must in F1.

Singabule

The fact is honda still 4th but very close to renault, renault ERS disaster, and Honda not reliable yet mguh. DM and horner split RB decision with horner prefer renault and DM prefer honda based on trajectory. Horner want decision on september and DM keep trolling renault untill the decision date. They are rotten to the core and I hope Honda just staying with STR instead.

techman

i believe honda is a match to renault if not better because acor to marko and co , it is compact compared to renault engine. take redbull out of the picture , and then renault will not win any gp with either renault f1 team or mclaren. people tend to compare the renault with honda and take the benchmark chassis redbull for comparision. what a joke. plus TR has rookies another disadvantage

bigblue

bigblue wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:15
It's certainly not a done deal yet, reliability needs to be proved - so far OK, admittedly not perfect, but tolerable. Admittedly, we're only three races in. Power needs a decent step.

Anyway, what is the lead-time on integrating a new engine ? Would RB and Honda already be having preliminary "what-if" talks, say about general packaging and layout, or is it way too early, and not worth bothering yet ?
Having re-read my post, and the context of those around it, I see it comes across as, "what-if" they tried to change engine this season. What I meant was that the engine is improving, and so Red Bull may be beginning to think about next season (I don't believe they will change in-season). So would they already have some preliminary technical contact with Honda, or be trying to influence potential packaging of the engine etc. with a view to their ideal integration and optimisation for their car design ? I suppose another question is, when does work on next year's car start ?

etusch

If only Honda can build most powerful engine in this season, then inseason engine swap can be meaningful. If Honda can bring updates to close ferrari and merc by beating renault, still it is not logical to make swap when you live integration issues and spend very much money. So it's not realistic and not fruitful