General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gofast182
gofast182

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

This is "General Honda F1 Topic". There is also a "Honda Power Unit" thread, in which I can't tell you how many times moderators have told folks to take their team/speculative/etc. conversations to this thread.

carisi2k

It is very difficult not to talk about all these teams and manufacturers in the various threads because of Singapore 2017. Honda is linked to Renault courtesy of the Mclaren, Toro Rosso PU switch and Red Bull is in the conversation because of the upcoming decision as to whether they use Honda or Renault in 2019. Comparisons and barbing about supporters of each team and manufacturer is happening in all of these teams and manufacturer threads because all of these parties are all linked by conversation at the moment.

The following are topics / questions that interlink all of these parties. Maybe the mods can let us know which threads they belong in?

Mclaren and Toro Rosso trading barbs in regards to the Honda and Renault PU's.
Mclaren don't have the super chassis they thought they had and were beaten by TR Honda at Bahrain.
Was the Mclaren chassis the problem all along with the Honda partnership?
Would Mclaren be faster or slower with the 2018 Honda engine?
Why are Mclaren's top speed so similar in 2018 vs 2017?
Toro Rosso's tops speeds have been impressive and significantly higher then any speed Mclaren achieved with Honda at similar tracks.
Why is Honda seeming to be doing better with Toro Rosso?
Toro Rosso scoring a fourth place with Honda in only it's second race with them in Bahrain. A result that was never equalled or bettered by Mclaren in 3 years
Would Ricciardo have won in China if the Red Bull RB14 had a Honda instead of a Renault engine?
Would the RB14 be faster or slower with a Honda engine?
Which of these 2 PU's is truly more powerful at the moment?
Which is more reliable?
The Red Bull decision. Stay with Renault or move to Honda in 2019 and how does this decision affect there 2018 season hopes?

Maybe we need a 5 headed monster thread to put all of this conversation in to.

HPD

Which PU has the best performance in the race?
Which PU has better Q mode
Where would TR be with Sainz?
Where would Mcl be without Alonso?
Why does Alonso not stop talking about Honda?

I leave my contribution :lol:

Hino
Hino

Finally an appearance from Toyoharu Tanabe at Fridays press conference. Image

McHonda
McHonda

HPD wrote:
09 May 2018, 13:43

Because he keeps getting asked about them obviously. I assume from people who can't get over the past, much like the post above yours which is 99% about McLaren.

Let it go, they both seem perfectly happy and are both doing better so I've no idea why folk can't just bury it.

GhostF1
GhostF1

McHonda wrote:
09 May 2018, 22:58
HPD wrote:

Because he keeps getting asked about them obviously. I assume from people who can't get over the past, much like the post above yours which is 99% about McLaren.

Let it go, they both seem perfectly happy and are both doing better so I've no idea why folk can't just bury it.
It will never be dropped by the media because it's pretty much the story of the year on the paddock..
Questions were heavy after Bahrain, they've tapered off now. But it's just fed the media.

McHonda
McHonda

GhostF1 wrote:
09 May 2018, 23:05
McHonda wrote:
HPD wrote:

It will never be dropped by the media because it's pretty much the story of the year on the paddock..
Questions were heavy after Bahrain, they've tapered off now. But it's just fed the media.
I expect that from the media, they stir the pot all the time to generate their income.We don't have to buy into it though.

Honda are doing better, they saved a ton of money and could end up with an even better chassis builder in Red Bull. McLaren are doing better, they kept Alonso, held off the brain drain, attracted a bespoke fuel supplier and know exactly where they need to improve to get to the front.

Win win as far as I can see but still some can't get over the split despite it working out for everyone.

GhostF1
GhostF1

McHonda wrote:
09 May 2018, 23:13
GhostF1 wrote:
McHonda wrote:

I expect that from the media, they stir the pot all the time to generate their income.We don't have to buy into it though.

Honda are doing better, they saved a ton of money and could end up with an even better chassis builder in Red Bull. McLaren are doing better, they kept Alonso, held off the brain drain, attracted a bespoke fuel supplier and know exactly where they need to improve to get to the front.

Win win as far as I can see but still some can't get over the split despite it working out for everyone.
I completely agree. Both parties have prospered greatly from the split. Personally, I think its evident now that McLaren was the wrong team for Honda to renew it's F1 capabilities with. Had they come to McLaren this year even. What a different story for the two. There's a lot of lasting damage now.
I hope good luck to the both.

McHonda
McHonda

GhostF1 wrote:
09 May 2018, 23:20
McHonda wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

I completely agree. Both parties have prospered greatly from the split. Personally, I think its evident now that McLaren was the wrong team for Honda to renew it's F1 capabilities with. Had they come to McLaren this year even. What a different story for the two. There's a lot of lasting damage now.
Yeah they needed a Spirit basically to get them up and running away from the spotlight. Trying to come straight in with a team wanting to win is just too much for an engine as complex as this and for an EM starting out after a long time out. From McLaren's standpoint it also hid deficiencies on their part which were ignored for too long.

I picked this name for a good reason, I'm as gutted as anyone it didn't work out but I understand why it didn't and both are doing better since the split so ultimately I'm ok with it and would love a future hook up even.

Honda staying in the sport long term is a must for me and I think Liberty's vision can support that.

Big Tea

McHonda wrote:
09 May 2018, 23:30
GhostF1 wrote:
McHonda wrote:

Yeah they needed a Spirit basically to get them up and running away from the spotlight. Trying to come straight in with a team wanting to win is just too much for an engine as complex as this and for an EM starting out after a long time out. From McLaren's standpoint it also hid deficiencies on their part which were ignored for too long.

I picked this name for a good reason, I'm as gutted as anyone it didn't work out but I understand why it didn't and both are doing better since the split so ultimately I'm ok with it and would love a future hook up even.

Honda staying in the sport long term is a must for me and I think Liberty's vision can support that.

They more or less left Spirit high and dry when the jumped ship to Williams. I hope the same does not happen to STR.
It was good for Honda because they ran mileage in a modified Spirit F2 car before the 'real thing', Would have been a good idea this time too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McHonda
McHonda

Big Tea wrote:
10 May 2018, 00:30
McHonda wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

They more or less left Spirit high and dry when the jumped ship to Williams. I hope the same does not happen to STR.
It was good for Honda because they ran mileage in a modified Spirit F2 car before the 'real thing', Would have been a good idea this time too
I think STR will be good whatever happens because of their relationship with Red Bull so I've no worries about that.

Big Tea

McHonda wrote:
10 May 2018, 00:35
Big Tea wrote:
10 May 2018, 00:30
McHonda wrote:

I think STR will be good whatever happens because of their relationship with Red Bull so I've no worries about that.
As long as they stay with Red Bull. Many have been saying that Red Bull want shot of at least one of the teams, so it may look ripe to either Honda or a proxy management. They do seem a very stable team, but pulling the top staff out at the same time the engine is pulled out from underneath could well spell the end. Hope not.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ronanharris09
ronanharris09

A bit off topic, just my two cents.

I'm wondering if Ric also plays a part in RB's decision between Honda and Renault. If Ric leave, they might won't be able get Sainz back unless they stick with Renault. They can promote Gasly, but TR is still Honda's number one priority (unless they ask the same factory team level of support), Gasly should stay IMO.

TL;DR = Don't take this so seriously.

PlatinumZealot

I sorta expect that young japanese redbulldriver to take Hartley' seat before the end of the year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

etusch

Say this expectation or guess, Ricciardo not worth to keep and Sainz too. A Japanese driver to Toro Rosso and Gasly to Redbull is best choise, I think.
In both condition that Redbull choose, renault or honda, Gasly is a constant