General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AJI
AJI

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

If Honda deliver in Canada Red Bull will give them all the credit they deserve, along with a sharp jab at their current PU supplier.
'Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG powered by Honda' is a bit of a mouthful though.

sn809
sn809

For me personally I dont think Honda would make that decision, It was Mclaren Honda. It wont be RBR Aston Martin Honda. so comparing them is like butter and cheese not apples and oranges.

ME4ME

Renault only ever had themselves to blame; in the V8 era they choose to promote their Infiniti brand and put that on the championship winning cars. And since the start of the V6 era they honestly haven't earned any credit at all.

I do think Honda, with their story and after what happened with the Mclaren relationship, would get plenty of credit and media attention if a RB-Honda deal would come through. It would be a massive comeback from Honda if they can be successfull eventually. Winning is always sweet(er) when you have got to work for it.

AJI
AJI

sn809 wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 09:02
For me personally I dont think Honda would make that decision, It was Mclaren Honda. It wont be RBR Aston Martin Honda. so comparing them is like butter and cheese not apples and oranges.
Why wouldn't Honda be included in the name? Certainly 'powered by Honda' will be on the engine cover...

AJI
AJI

ME4ME wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 09:08
Renault only ever had themselves to blame; in the V8 era they choose to promote their Infiniti brand and put that on the championship winning cars. And since the start of the V6 era they honestly haven't earned any credit at all.

I do think Honda, with their story and after what happened with the Mclaren relationship, would get plenty of credit and media attention if a RB-Honda deal would come through. It would be a massive comeback from Honda if they can be successfull eventually. Winning is always sweet(er) when you have got to work for it.
I completely agree. It's a Cinderella story. 'Ugly step sister comes good and marries the charismatic prince against all odds'.

Talisman
Talisman

sn809 wrote:
It would probably be Aston Martin RB Honda with AM providing funding only. The only change would be TAG stepping down from sponsoring the power unit. I think Honda would be having a say, after all they would be providing works support for free and this comes with privileges.

It could come with some odd compromises. I'm sure the car would have 'powered by Honda' on the side but what about the nose? An H above a pair of wings or will one or the other not be present?

Big Tea

Talisman wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 11:10
sn809 wrote:
It would probably be Aston Martin RB Honda with AM providing funding only. The only change would be TAG stepping down from sponsoring the power unit. I think Honda would be having a say, after all they would be providing works support for free and this comes with privileges.

It could come with some odd compromises. I'm sure the car would have 'powered by Honda' on the side but what about the nose? An H above a pair of wings or will one or the other not be present?
TAG only sponsor the power unit to have the brand on the car and associated with TEC.
I think there could easily be a switch of product as they do not have any input to the engine.
For example~ Drive train by TAG, the best gears possible.
It is still exposure and association high tec Hi accuracy which is what they seek.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Talisman
Talisman

TAG can be moved across to be just another sponsor, it won’t be a problem. They may even get a discount if they get moved to a less valuable part of the car.

Casio Edifice was moved across from RBR to STR to fit in TAG, compromises can and will be made to suit everyone.

Wouter

Re: Honda Power Unit

Finally a word from Tanabe:

Honda reveals Formula 1 engine upgrade for Canadian Grand Prix.

Honda has revealed its Formula 1 engine upgrade for the Canadian Grand Prix is centred around improvements to its internal combustion engine.

The Japanese manufacturer has been expected to give partner Toro Rosso an update for the power-sensitive race, which Autosport reported that Honda hoped would be worth around 27bhp.

Honda stressed it would be careful not to hurt the reliability of its power unit in the pursuit of performance but, ahead of the Montreal race, technical director Toyoharu Tanabe confirmed Honda's upgrade - focused around its internal combustion engine - would be implemented.

"We are introducing an updated PU for this event, fitting it to both cars," said Tanabe.

"The updates are mainly to the ICE, focusing on improving performance. The Montreal circuit is known for its long straights, where over 60% of the lap is spent at full throttle.

"There are slow corners after the long straights and this means that good driveability is again important as is rapid turbo response.

"All these features mean that the power unit is one of the key elements here, which is why it has traditionally been the venue for engine manufacturers to introduce updates."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13654 ... anadian-gp
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Honda reveals Formula 1 engine upgrade for Canadian Grand Prix for both drivers.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13654 ... anadian-gp
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Again its 'whispers'.

The article says~
The Japanese manufacturer has been expected to give partner Toro Rosso an update for the power-sensitive race, which Autosport reported that Honda hoped would be worth around 27bhp.
This (the bold part) links to this~

-Honda's F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe told Autosport he wants the result to "give us much more energy to develop for the future".
Autosport understands Honda is targeting a step of around 27bhp for the Canadian Grand Prix in June

So they are citing themselves with the 'targeted' power increase.

Every little helps, but it would be nice if we knew the figures for all of them.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dodds_turbo

AJI wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 08:34
...'Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG powered by Honda' is a bit of a mouthful though.
So is 'Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+' but Toto didn't seem to mind. :roll:

Sevach
Sevach

27 horses would be pretty impressive.

techman
techman

27bhp is pretty good. hopefully more low end torque.

Revs84
Revs84

Talisman wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 11:10
sn809 wrote:

Or the Honda logo with wings and on the side written "Honda gives you wings" :lol: