F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder
110
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: F1 TV

Post by NathanOlder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm

SO what commentary will they be using ? And when will it be rolled out worldwide ? anyone know ?

It's not adding much to the current SkySports F1 channel in the UK at the moment. only adding 15-ish extra onboard cams, and Porsche supercup live.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Moose
126
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: F1 TV

Post by Moose » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 pm

The commentary apparently will be in English, French, German and Spanish. No word on who's actually going to be doing it though. Even if it's the worst commentary known to man though, this beats every other service out there as far as I can see.

Juzh
261
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post by Juzh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 pm

FULL COUNTRY LIST (unofficial):

Source:


Backup link in case it gets deleted:
https://i.imgur.com/McYTHww.jpg

Fulcrum
101
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: F1 TV

Post by Fulcrum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm

$8-$12 is a very wide range considering $12 is 50% more than $8.

I sense a bit of a problem though. Most streaming services have static monthly prices. It makes the agreement and terms and conditions very easy to implement. The problem with F1 is the content is variably spaced throughout the year. March only has 1 race, as does August, while July has 4, and a couple others have 3.

How are they going to circumvent people dropping the service for a month with few races, and taking those with many? Likewise, the level of interest is generally high to start, drops away in the mid-season, then peaks when titles get decided, so surely November would generally be more expensive than October? Will they incentivize the yearly rate, or is the $8-$12 range indicative of the cost range for some months (e.g. March is $8, July is $12, year end is $12)? Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the service on a per event basis instead of monthly?

Juzh
261
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: F1 TV

Post by Juzh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

FULL COUNTRY LIST (unofficial):

Source:


Backup link in case it gets deleted:
https://i.imgur.com/McYTHww.jpg

Moose
126
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: F1 TV

Post by Moose » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Fulcrum wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm
$8-$12 is a very wide range considering $12 is 50% more than $8.

I sense a bit of a problem though. Most streaming services have static monthly prices. It makes the agreement and terms and conditions very easy to implement. The problem with F1 is the content is variably spaced throughout the year. March only has 1 race, as does August, while July has 4, and a couple others have 3.

How are they going to circumvent people dropping the service for a month with few races, and taking those with many? Likewise, the level of interest is generally high to start, drops away in the mid-season, then peaks when titles get decided, so surely November would generally be more expensive than October? Will they incentivize the yearly rate, or is the $8-$12 range indicative of the cost range for some months (e.g. March is $8, July is $12, year end is $12)? Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the service on a per event basis instead of monthly?
I don't think $8-12 means "it will vary in price over the year", I think it means "it'll be $12 in the US, and $8 in Argentina".

Sieper
45
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: F1 TV

Post by Sieper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Or, we do not know yet and depending how many users will actually take an account we can offer it at a lower price per user.

ivanlesk
11
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: F1 TV

Post by ivanlesk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Or probably will $8 be for basic service and $12 for full service

gandharva
211
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: F1 TV

Post by gandharva » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 pm

There is already a thread for this topic.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26988

Godius
224
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post by Godius » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Juzh wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 pm
FULL COUNTRY LIST (unofficial):

Source:
https://twitter.com/RoksanaCw/status/968874246154924032

Backup link in case it gets deleted:
https://i.imgur.com/McYTHww.jpg
Lol, available everywhere in the Netherlands except for European Netherlands.

Gerhardsa
10
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Canada 'eh!

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post by Gerhardsa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 am

1158 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm
Gerhardsa wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 pm
I would like to know the "almost two dozen" markets exactly. Who is on the list, and who is not.
If Canada is on, I am happy.
I have read that Canada is not. From what I understand TSN has the rights through 2019. I would suspect as the old contracts end and are renegotiated more countries will get the OTT treatment.
Well that sucks donkey balls.
So I will still have to pay cable TV for all the crap I don't need and don't watch, just to have TSN. Cable/Satellite TV is so stone-age and expensive for no reason.

1158
46
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post by 1158 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:24 am

Gerhardsa wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 am

I have read that Canada is not. From what I understand TSN has the rights through 2019. I would suspect as the old contracts end and are renegotiated more countries will get the OTT treatment.
Well that sucks donkey balls.
So I will still have to pay cable TV for all the crap I don't need and don't watch, just to have TSN. Cable/Satellite TV is so stone-age and expensive for no reason.
[/quote]

At least it should only be 1 year. Poor chaps in the UK have to wait until 2025 I think.

gastonmazzacane
0
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post by gastonmazzacane » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am

zeph wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:09 pm
Good news!

And the pricing is still somewhat affordable. Although, if they say $8-12 p/m, it’s probably the latter in the USA, which brings it to $144 p/y. I was hoping for $3-5 per race, and pay-as-you-go, so I can skip races I won’t be able to watch live.

Still, this is one step closer to ditching cable TV. And that can only be a good thing.
Yeah, but you wont watch it in JAN, FEB and DEC, so more like 109$ ;)

NathanOlder
110
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: F1 TV

Post by NathanOlder » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 pm

I wonder how "live" it will be, when ever I have watched online motorsport (which isn't often) was the online channel for the blancpain world endurance and it was a good 10-15 seconds behind live.

With F1 I watch it on my TV with SkySports F1, My Tablet on the live timing via the official app (which is about 5 seconds ahead of Live TV) and I will have my Mobile Phone on the Track Map via the Official App. So where the Tablet and Phone info is ahead by a good 5 seconds , I seem to look at that more than the Tv. Plus the live timing tells you everything you need yo know.

So will F1 TV be completely live ?

another reason i question it is because of App's like SkyGo, they are a good 30-60 seconds behind whats on TV, so hardly live.

will be interesting to see.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Gerhardsa
10
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Canada 'eh!

Re: F1 TV

Post by Gerhardsa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

NathanOlder wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 pm
I wonder how "live" it will be, when ever I have watched online motorsport (which isn't often) was the online channel for the blancpain world endurance and it was a good 10-15 seconds behind live.

With F1 I watch it on my TV with SkySports F1, My Tablet on the live timing via the official app (which is about 5 seconds ahead of Live TV) and I will have my Mobile Phone on the Track Map via the Official App. So where the Tablet and Phone info is ahead by a good 5 seconds , I seem to look at that more than the Tv. Plus the live timing tells you everything you need yo know.

So will F1 TV be completely live ?

another reason i question it is because of App's like SkyGo, they are a good 30-60 seconds behind whats on TV, so hardly live.

will be interesting to see.
I really dont see the point of your post?

Its being streamed when the race is on...that's live streaming. If its a second or a minute behind the actual "sitting in the grandstand" action...who cares? It makes absolutely zero difference