F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marvin78

Re: F1 TV

It's impossible to stream live. 20-30 seconds is completely normal. Even live TV is a few seconds behind.

Juzh

In one of the interviews Tata tech guy said they're giving this particular problem of sync between different streams of data a lot of attention. How it will turn out in the end is anyone's guess at this point.

bauc

marvin78 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:46
It's impossible to stream live. 20-30 seconds is completely normal. Even live TV is a few seconds behind.
Correct, and who care if it is even 1 minute late, if I get full HD commercial free coverage, and I'm the one choosing the cameras from which I want to watch. I have NBA on demand package, and it works superb
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Juzh

Gerhardsa wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:44
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:36
I wonder how "live" it will be, when ever I have watched online motorsport (which isn't often) was the online channel for the blancpain world endurance and it was a good 10-15 seconds behind live.

With F1 I watch it on my TV with SkySports F1, My Tablet on the live timing via the official app (which is about 5 seconds ahead of Live TV) and I will have my Mobile Phone on the Track Map via the Official App. So where the Tablet and Phone info is ahead by a good 5 seconds , I seem to look at that more than the Tv. Plus the live timing tells you everything you need yo know.

So will F1 TV be completely live ?

another reason i question it is because of App's like SkyGo, they are a good 30-60 seconds behind whats on TV, so hardly live.

will be interesting to see.
I really dont see the point of your post?

Its being streamed when the race is on...that's live streaming. If its a second or a minute behind the actual "sitting in the grandstand" action...who cares? It makes absolutely zero difference
You don't understand. If timing screen is 30s ahead of actual Live feed, then you're spoiling your own race by looking at the timings, which kinda defeats the point of buying access to it.

NathanOlder

If you have that streaming on your TV and the live timing app is telling you Vettel has passed Hamilton 45 seconds ago, it means you will be watching without the suspense of whats going to happen as you already know he made it pass. If you dont use the Live Timing App, it wont be a problem for you.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

And I feel the Live Timing is a MUST have
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Juzh

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:50
If you dont use the Live Timing App, it wont be a problem for you.
Knowing what's going on in the race further down from ~5 place in a chaotic race is impossible without the app though. I agree the app should have some kind of delay function integrated.

marvin78

Should not be so hard to synchronize the timing to the stream.

NathanOlder

I remember once I had to record a race and watch it the next day, was on the way back from my honeymoon, and I managed to avoid the results, and then download the live timing and got them to play at the same time. was hard work (mainly avoiding the result) but it worked. like you say Juzh they should add a function to let the end user sync the live timing with their TV.

Life without the Live Timing App is NOT worth living .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Sieper

agreed, important point. The fact itself that you run some seconds behind is not so important, but all info should arrive synchronized. I already watch TV over IP in my home (instead of analog cable) and I always run some 20 30 secs behind. You only ever notice it with national team football if the neighbours cheer before you do!

NathanOlder

Haha, I remember those days. Having Sky in our house watching World Cup football on BBC1 , the neighbours watching on a normal TV antenna and they were a good 5-10 seconds ahead lol.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

1158 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 08:24

At least it should only be 1 year. Poor chaps in the UK have to wait until 2025 I think.
Yeah its a bit silly, but I don't feel too bad as this service doesn't really add much to what we already have. I could never get rid of SkyTv as I watch too much sport (Golf, Snooker, MotoGP, Superbikes, Football) So as this F1TV is not available to me, I can't spend more money on it :lol:

As I said the other day, I think it would only add the onboard camera access, on Sky you get 3-4 onboard cams at any time as it is, they switch from car to car when people are in on-track battles. The Sky coverage is also advert free for Qualy and Race so thats not a problem. Plus Sky has Brundle, Hill, Herbert, Ted Kravitz, Crofty and Pinkham so IMO a very good team.

But yes, not being available until 2025 is a bit of a joke, especially if you can't afford Sky TV and want to watch the F1, this would have been perfect.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Thank Bernie for that one lol.

I'm excited because being in the States coverage is pretty terrible. Plus the access to all the historical footage back to 1981 is going to be awesome.

It sounds like the non pro version will be available just about everywhere and I think that includes the archival footage and the timing apps/radio stuff.

Thunder

I merged the 2 F1 TV Topics. Better to just discuss that in 1 Topic.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

DVB

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:02
I remember once I had to record a race and watch it the next day, was on the way back from my honeymoon, and I managed to avoid the results, and then download the live timing and got them to play at the same time. was hard work (mainly avoiding the result) but it worked. like you say Juzh they should add a function to let the end user sync the live timing with their TV.

Life without the Live Timing App is NOT worth living .
Agree, live timing is just what matters when u want to understand how the race is developing. I remember watching more at the live timing, then watching the TV because it was more exciting :D

Can't wait for that F1 pro TV stuff!

And as someone else said: VPN =D> =D> (same works with Netflix)
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.