No More Grid Girls - replaced by Grid Kids

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sebp

Re: No More Grid Girls - replaced by Grid Kids

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 20:20
Parading children around is tacky in my book... and apparently 77% of F1 Fans.

TBH I have zero interest in football, but I have no idea why they do it too?? Does it make more children watch? If it makes the lucky few life long fans will it make any difference to the number of future football fans? will it entice more families to go? will it boost profits?
Sure, it's a little tacky but I bet the kids like it.

the EDGE wrote:
and why would you feel the need to lower the tone of a sensible adult conversation?
Sebp wrote:And seriously, if you want to look at pretty women why are you watching a motor race?
Can you elaborate a little bit, I don't understand why you take what I said as "lowering the tone".
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

dans79

the EDGE wrote:
Parading children around is tacky in my book... and apparently 77% of F1 Fans.
I bet a large portion of that 77% could care less about the kids, and are just upset because the women are gone.

the EDGE wrote:
TBH I have zero interest in football, but I have no idea why they do it too?? Does it make more children watch? If it makes the lucky few life long fans will it make any difference to the number of future football fans? will it entice more families to go? will it boost profits?
Well in most sports that do something similar, it gives young fans the opportunity to meet a hero, and get an autograph. That's usually something that sticks with a child.

For example, I'm sure this boy will not soon forget this experience.

edit: or this boy as well.

What benefit does a handful of women acting as mobile sign posts bring?
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Nothing. Good griddance.

the EDGE

Can you elaborate a little bit, I don't understand why you take what I said as "lowering the tone".
being flippant to a fellow user suggesting I enjoy looking at Grid Girls instead of watching the racing. something you might expect from a grid child who couldn't substantiate his argument with intelligence

Actually if you go back through the posts you will see that I advocated Grid Men should have been introduced too, a better solution than parading children around for the sake of it

the EDGE

dans79 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:12
the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:02
being flippant to a fellow user suggesting I enjoy looking at Grid Girls instead of watching the racing. something you might expect from a grid child who couldn't substantiate his argument with intelligence
He didn't quote you, and his post what several posts after yours, so why are you assuming he is refereeing to you?
I don't think so, go back to p24 and read from the 11th post down... not sure who else Sebp was talking to if it wasn't me, perhaps Sebp could elaborate if he feels I'm wrong

dans79

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:24
I don't think so, go back to p24 and read from the 11th post down... not sure who else Sebp was talking to if it wasn't me, perhaps Sebp could elaborate if he feels I'm wrong
As I read it, he wasn't referring to any one person, but making more of a general statement/announcement.
197 104 103 7

Sebp

dans79 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:29
the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:24
As I read it, he wasn't referring to any one person, but making more of a general statement/announcement.
I can confirm dans79's statement.

strad

And seriously, if you want to look at pretty women why are you watching a motor race?
Off the top of my head I'd say it's because F1 has for ages now been associated with glitz, glamour and the rich and beautiful. Why else would we race at Monaco. Certainly not because it's a fantastic race course.
Hell it wouldn't even be on the schedule by todays safety standards.
I have to ask what you have against beautiful women?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sieper

How can you hide a certain topic (like this one) from the list of shown topics (when you use "new posts"). Does anybody know?

Sebp

strad wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:41
And seriously, if you want to look at pretty women why are you watching a motor race?
Lol, I was merely pointing out that beautiful women on the grid are not F1s selling point for me. I'd much rather see women compete for wins in the cars than standing scantily clad next to them.

NathanOlder

Sebp wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:47
strad wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:41
Lol, I was merely pointing out that beautiful women on the grid are not F1s selling point for me. I'd much rather see women compete for wins in the cars than standing scantily clad next to them.
It would seem that its only in the US they are "scantily clad". The rest of the time they are dressed appropriately in a theme related to the country they are in.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ringo

I never saw this thread...
I don't see why they got rid of the grid girls. It was a pretty harmless job.
It is part of the glitz and glamour, it's the same reason oscar and grammy awards have red carpet photo shoots.
If it's degrading to women i would like to hear why it is. Maybe i haven't thought about it deep enough.

If it's gone i have no problem either, but i think it was part of the sport that added to the glamour and the sights.
What F1 should have done to not make the girls look like they are just there for their good looks is to maybe have some kind of segment that is aired, where the grid girls do some karting ROC style, or some kind of charity at some hospital. This could be shown before the race. Then at the race they do their usual stuff. This would show that they are more than a piece of glamour meat and that they do enjoy being grid girls and weren't forced to do it.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

agreed, but like I said countless times, The people that pushed this through and backed it do not seem to give a crap about what the grid girls think. It's just people thinking they know whats best for everyone.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marvin78

Like people are today. Nobody minds his own business. Nobody asks people if they want to be "protected". I like the idea with the kids (some people here just don't get the idea and try to twist it) but I don't like the pretended political correctness. Personally I don't mind not having grid girls. I never noticed them anyway. All I care about are the races. And that's where really are changes in order. The show is not important for real race fans. They just don't get that. And they don't want to, because it's not the real race fans they are after. They make money with the other type: the show fan.

Moose

Dear god, what is it with everyone here? Why is everyone trying to force a "pretend political correctness" motive into this?

This wasn't a political correctness move. No one did this because someone was campaigning for horribly exploited grid girls to be protected from themselves.

The reasoning was simple. The FOM no longer thought that scantily clad women on the grid was the thing they wanted in their show, thus, they removed them from their show.

It's their right to decide what their show looks like, get over it.