No More Grid Girls - replaced by Grid Kids

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: No More Grid Girls - replaced by Grid Kids

Moose wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:23
Dear god, what is it with everyone here? Why is everyone trying to force a "pretend political correctness" motive into this?

This wasn't a political correctness move. No one did this because someone was campaigning for horribly exploited grid girls to be protected from themselves.

The reasoning was simple. The FOM no longer thought that scantily clad women on the grid was the thing they wanted in their show, thus, they removed them from their show.

It's their right to decide what their show looks like, get over it.

Do you actually believe what you say?
Surely it was hybrid move of PC and puritanism. Call it Zeitgeist if you want.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Moose
Moose

At what point has *anyone* related to the decision said it was *anything* to do with being PC or prudish. That line of reasoning has been purely and wholly added by observers.

NathanOlder

PC gone mad, pure and simple.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Moose wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:23
Dear god, what is it with everyone here? Why is everyone trying to force a "pretend political correctness" motive into this?

This wasn't a political correctness move. No one did this because someone was campaigning for horribly exploited grid girls to be protected from themselves.

The reasoning was simple. The FOM no longer thought that scantily clad women on the grid was the thing they wanted in their show, thus, they removed them from their show.
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/01/ ... rid-girls/

Sean Bratches, Managing Director, Commercial Operations at Formula 1 made the additional comment:
“Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport.
“While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms.
We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Moose
Moose

Phil wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:47
Sean Bratches, Managing Director, Commercial Operations at Formula 1 made the additional comment:
“Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport.
“While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms.
We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”
I'm missing something, in what way is "[this] clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms" the same as "PC gone mad". By definition, if it's a societal norm, it's very clearly not some crazy outlying "PC gone mad" type opinion, but instead, just what society in general expects as the normal.

strad

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:25
PC gone mad, pure and simple.
SO very true.
Pure pandering to the Me Toos.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

Moose wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:53
I'm missing something, in what way is "[this] clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms" the same as "PC gone mad". By definition, if it's a societal norm, it's very clearly not some crazy outlying "PC gone mad" type opinion, but instead, just what society in general expects as the normal.
Those that are blaming it on "PC", are just using "PC" as a convenient scapegoat!
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:03
Moose wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:53
Those that are blaming it on "PC", are just using "PC" as a convenient scapegoat!
Or those blaming it on "PC" actually know whats going on!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

NathanOlder

Dude why do you keep posting pics of the girls in the motogp paddock ? The f1 girls are dressed properly and look respectful. (Maybe its Tom Luthi's wife ?)

Although i think a lot of people seem to think the F1 grid girls are dressed like that. Maybe they are in America, but thats only 1 country.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:48
Dude why do you keep posting pics of the girls in the motogp paddock ? The f1 girls are dressed properly and look respectful. (Maybe its Tom Luthi's wife ?)

Although i think a lot of people seem to think the F1 grid girls are dressed like that. Maybe they are in America, but thats only 1 country.
I overunderestimated the wheels involved and was just trying to help show how wrong it is :wink:

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

This subject, which is on the other side of the crossover from engineering to the business of F! has been such an expose and revelation of the matrix of human nature; fascinating.

strad

No one has ever held a gun to a girls head to get them to do it. Quite the opposite they fight to get the job.
Y'all got it all wrong.
They take great pride in being picked.
Just 'cause some of you got something against pretty women you want to ruin the girls enjoyment. It ain't like there's a bunch of perverts that enjoy seeing good looking women.
I'm beginning to wonder about some of you.
If the women enjoy it and do it of their own free will what the heck is your problem?
Don't look if you're somehow offended by beautiful women.
You don't want your daughters to do it, FINE, don't let them.
Please lock this thread as it's getting really stupid.
Men have been looking at beautiful women for thousands of years and you want to change that?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

strad wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 08:29
No one has ever held a gun to a girls head to get them to do it. Quite the opposite they fight to get the job.
Y'all got it all wrong.
They take great pride in being picked.
Just 'cause some of you got something against pretty women you want to ruin the girls enjoyment. It ain't like there's a bunch of perverts that enjoy seeing good looking women.
I'm beginning to wonder about some of you.
If the women enjoy it and do it of their own free will what the heck is your problem?
Don't look if you're somehow offended by beautiful women.
You don't want your daughters to do it, FINE, don't let them.
Please lock this thread as it's getting really stupid.
Men have been looking at beautiful women for thousands of years and you want to change that?
Hear, hear or is it here, here :D
Don't lock it as it is giving valuable research material

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Sebastian Vettel has defended his stance about the Monaco ‘grid boys’. Two weeks ago, the quadruple world champion admitted his surprise at having pulled up at his grid position for the fabled street race only to find an attractive man holding his board.

“F*ck, you get there and park behind George or Dave, what’s the point?” he exclaimed in the post-race press conference.

But when told that Montreal’s race organisers are planning the return of the customary ‘grid girls’ this Sunday, Vettel admitted his relief.

“I am very happy about it,” the 27-year-old is quoted in Canada by Brazil’s UOL Esporte.

“I was not very excited in Monaco.”

Asked why he has been so vocal about the ‘grid boys’ experiment, German Vettel admitted it is nothing personal but “I cannot enjoy beautiful men”.

“I think some things do not have to change and I think this is one of those things,” he added.