Tips for Attending the Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mystery Steve

Tips for Attending the Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)

I'm considering attending the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, and I'm intending for this thread to be a crowd sourcing exercise, as I haven't quite found the answers to my specific questions on the internet. I'll start with a description of my priorities and what I'd like to get out of the race weekend, and then follow that up with some specific questions about the event. I'll be appreciative of any input I can get. (Thanks in advance!)

First, I'm not a big fan of buying a seat and remaining stationary for an entire event (regardless of the sport). If I'm attending a game in a stadium, I'll often opt for standing room only tickets, even if there are plenty of seats available. Not only do I prefer to stand as an alternative to being crammed into an uncomfortable seat with 1000s of strangers, but I like to move around and experience an event from multiple perspective. For me, the experience of the atmosphere is more important than simply witnessing the event.

Secondly, I'm an amateur photography nerd, and I'd like to get some good action shots of the cars at some point during the weekend. From what I've been able to find, there are approximately zero good locations at ground level that aren't obstructed by multiple layers of fencing. The grandstands certainly offer elevated/unobstructed vantage points, but that brings me to my final concern.

And that concern is the cost of the event. Weekend tickets in the grandstands are expensive, as most of you are probably already aware. The cheapest options I can find are higher than $300US for a weekend pass in a specific grandstand, and that is for some of the less popular grandstands along the backside of the circuit. I'm looking at general admission tickets that are on the order of $20US for practice, and $40US for the race, which is much more appealing.

So, if you've read through all of that, you should now hopefully understand my perspective and what I'm hoping to get out of the race weekend. With that, I'd be happy for any input I can get on the following questions:
  • Are the grandstands typically full during Friday Practice? I don't want to disrupt others' enjoyment of the event with my personal photography. If can stake out a spot in the top row for a few minutes, that would be an ideal scenario for everyone.
  • How strict are the event organizers regarding access to the grandstands during Friday practice? Are they checking tickets/wristbands prior to entering any grandstand? Or, could I walk up with a general admission ticket, take a few pictures without getting in anyone's way, and then move on to another location without causing a stir?
  • If they do check for wristbands/etc. to enter the grandstands, it possible to buy a pass for one grandstand during practice and then move around to different grandstands? I have no intention to attempt this during the race as it would probably be too disruptive.
  • Does a general admission ticket allow you to get close enough to the circuit to "feel" the energy of the cars passing by? By feel, I mean getting a sense of the g forces under braking, the raw power under acceleration, or feeling the wind from the wake left by the cars as they drive by at top speed. I'd be OK with this on Race day. (I'd just leave the camera in my room, and enjoy the event for what it is.)
  • Is there a location where someone with a general admission ticket can get a decent vantage point of the start of the race going through Turns 1 & 2? How early would you need to arrive to get a spot against the fence and not be peering over others' shoulders? I'm only 5'9", so >50th percentile males could be an obstruction for me.
  • How is the quality of the local radio broadcast - can it fill in the gaps of what is going on, for someone just wandering around the general admission areas? Is it broadcast the entire weekend, or only during the race? I already have a pair of wireless over the ear headphones with built-in radio that double as hearing protection, anyway.
  • When cars are not on track, what is there to do at the circuit that a first time attendee may not be aware of? I understand the circuit is a public road the rest of the year - is it available for a course walk during the race weekend?
  • I'll be spending the evenings in Montreal (looking at hostels in or near the city center). Are there any interesting sites/events you would recommend I check out - whether they be car related or otherwise? Any restaurants to recommend that are reasonably priced that offer really good food, or have a unique location and/or particularly enjoyable ambiance? (I'll state up front that I'm not one for the loud nightclub scene. It's just not my style.)
  • Any recommended locations with a nice viewpoint for some cityscape photography?
  • And, finally a catch-all... For those that have attended the Canadian Grand Prix before, based on your past experiences: Are there any questions I didn't think to ask, only because I didn't know to ask them?
I had intended for this to be a short post, but it quickly turned into a novel. If you made it this far, I thank you for your time.

TAG

Re: Tips for Attending the Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)

You'll not be disappointed, the Canadian GP is fantastic, great track, great people and it feels like being in another country compared to the US. ;)
Mystery Steve wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 17:42
Are the grandstands typically full during Friday Practice? I don't want to disrupt others' enjoyment of the event with my personal photography. If can stake out a spot in the top row for a few minutes, that would be an ideal scenario for everyone.
The grandstands are generally full for FP2, not so much for FP1. You'll be able to stand up, move around and stake spots that offer you a good point of view especially up high, you'll also be able to block the stairs a bit and stand on the platform on the bottom of the stairs, but only during Friday practice.

The problem with the circuit and the General Admission tickets they offer is that I'd swear they place objects, fences and trees specifically to block your field of vision on the general admission tickets. A way to force you into a grandstand if you will. So you wind up pretty tightly packed for the good viewing spots anyway and people camp out on them so you can't move them out. They offer something interesting which is (forget what it's called) popular ticket or something along those lines that allow you to watch the weekend from a different grandstand each day. So Friday you watch from Popular 46 on Saturday from 31 and on Sunday from the Family Grandstand.
Mystery Steve wrote:
How strict are the event organizers regarding access to the grandstands during Friday practice? Are they checking tickets/wristbands prior to entering any grandstand? Or, could I walk up with a general admission ticket, take a few pictures without getting in anyone's way, and then move on to another location without causing a stir?
Pretty strict, you may be able to sneak in but for the most part you can't set foot on a grandstand if you don't have the appropriate ticket.
Mystery Steve wrote:
If they do check for wristbands/etc. to enter the grandstands, it possible to buy a pass for one grandstand during practice and then move around to different grandstands? I have no intention to attempt this during the race as it would probably be too disruptive.
No a grandstand pass give you access to that one grandstand and general admission.
Mystery Steve wrote:
Does a general admission ticket allow you to get close enough to the circuit to "feel" the energy of the cars passing by? By feel, I mean getting a sense of the g forces under braking, the raw power under acceleration, or feeling the wind from the wake left by the cars as they drive by at top speed. I'd be OK with this on Race day. (I'd just leave the camera in my room, and enjoy the event for what it is.)
  • Is there a location where someone with a general admission ticket can get a decent vantage point of the start of the race going through Turns 1 & 2? How early would you need to arrive to get a spot against the fence and not be peering over others' shoulders? I'm only 5'9", so >50th percentile males could be an obstruction for me.
No no and no. The better viewing spots are all at the opposite end of the track nearer to the hairpin. They want you to buy expensive grandstand tickets. If you buy general admission it's a fact of getting what you get.

Honestly, take your camera, you'll need at least a 450mm focal length to get a great shot or if you have a very high MP camera you may be able to get more detail, but I still use an old Nikon D90 body.

Mystery Steve wrote:
How is the quality of the local radio broadcast - can it fill in the gaps of what is going on, for someone just wandering around the general admission areas? Is it broadcast the entire weekend, or only during the race? I already have a pair of wireless over the ear headphones with built-in radio that double as hearing protection, anyway.
No idea, going to a race is in some ways being disconnected, you simply will miss out on a lot of stuff you take for granted watching on television. Just go, walk around enjoy the show, enjoy the food, enjoy the atmosphere and get what you get. Honestly I'd say take 1000 pictures during Friday and Saturday, and take 50 on Sunday. Enjoy being there and keep the memory of the experience, you won't ever be able to capture that on any picture you take.
Mystery Steve wrote:
When cars are not on track, what is there to do at the circuit that a first time attendee may not be aware of? I understand the circuit is a public road the rest of the year - is it available for a course walk during the race weekend?
There are support races, Ferrari and Porsche cup races, a lot of stuff to do in the venue but most are touristy, expensive, have long lines and are populated by drunk douche bags (that's what the locals call them). If you want to see Montreal, go by the gayborhood, to to the Jean Talon outdoor market for sure, and find places to eat and walk around in that are away from the downtown area. You'll save yourself money and see Montreal instead of walking in crowds.
Mystery Steve wrote:
I'll be spending the evenings in Montreal (looking at hostels in or near the city center). Are there any interesting sites/events you would recommend I check out - whether they be car related or otherwise? Any restaurants to recommend that are reasonably priced that offer really good food, or have a unique location and/or particularly enjoyable ambiance? (I'll state up front that I'm not one for the loud nightclub scene. It's just not my style.)
The city is extremely navigable via the Metro so don't limit yourself if you get a weekend pass you can go anywhere, quickly and at no cost. I'll PM you where I stay. If you don't mind a little inconvenience.
Mystery Steve wrote:
Any recommended locations with a nice viewpoint for some cityscape photography?
I'm not a native, so I won't answer. Just explore, it's hard to do a lot because you'll be at the track quite a bit of time, I usually get there a day early and leave a day late just to have a little more Montreal time.
Mystery Steve wrote:
And, finally a catch-all... For those that have attended the Canadian Grand Prix before, based on your past experiences: Are there any questions I didn't think to ask, only because I didn't know to ask them?
Yeah, buy a food at a grocery store and bring it into the circuit, unless it's glass you can bring anything in, coolers etc. I put a bottle of wine or three into thermos bottles, buy fruit, nuts, cheeses, snacks etc and bring all of that in. You'll eat better and it's cheaper than the $10 plain hamburger. Bring wet wipes, napkins, a trash bag, sunscreen and a rain poncho, you never know what you're going to get weather wise at the circuit.

I've been to Montreal a number of times and it never gets old. You didn't say if you're going solo or with someone else, but even the times I've gone alone, I've met people on the train that we've then gone together from breakfast with. You'll find a lot of like minded folks, regardless of how your mind is minded. ;)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

digitalrurouni

Great thread especially since I will be attending an F1 event for the first time ever and it just happens to be the Montreal GP. I am pretty much in the same boat as the OP. GA because I like to roam. I have a 70-200 lens and a 2x extender and I will try to get some shots. I am not hoping for much tho!

MTL79

I'm a local and have been to over 20 GP's in my life. This post may be a little late for you so I'll try to give quick points for posterity although I don't know how long you're here for:

1) There are two main areas that you want to sit, the hairpin or the Senna S. You should also consult a map of the track to see where the TV's are, or you will not know what's going on with the race. The announcer does speak English and gives decent enough information over the loudspeaker to keep track, but you'd probably prefer to see what's going on vs hear what's going on.

2) It's very hard to move around during race day, the paths around the track are very narrow and filled with tons of people and standing room is a pain in the ass, there's just too many people around you (again, it's very narrow).

3) You can go up to the look off point on Mont-Royal for pictures of the city, although this message might reach you too late. The old port has lots of nice things to see at night or in the day with tons of restaurants and European style architecture.

4) You'll want to go to Crescent and St Laurent tonight or Saturday night for festivities.

5) Lots of restaurants in the old port (a little expensive). For fine dining, try Ferreira's on Peel or Da Emma on de la Commune. Otherwise, there's a few fast food joints on Ste Catherine between McGill and Bleury.

Hope you have fun!