F1 Fitness Challenge

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

F1 Fitness Challenge

Test yourself, see if you're fit enough to be an F1 driver.

They say a lap in anger in an F1 car is the equivalent of climbing one flight of stairs, or a distance of just over 3m.

A lap in an F1 car around Spa this year lasts ~100 seconds in the race, so here's the challenge.

44 flights of stairs averaging 100 seconds per flight of stairs, if you can do this, you're probably fit enough to be an F1 driver.

For the insanity challenge you can do the Austria challenge 71 flights of stairs averaging 67 seconds a flight :twisted:
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

Re: F1 Fitness Challenge

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 02:00

They say a lap in anger in an F1 car is the equivalent of climbing one flight of stairs, or a distance of just over 3m.

A lap in an F1 car around Spa this year lasts ~100 seconds in the race, so here's the challenge.

44 flights of stairs averaging 100 seconds per flight of stairs, if you can do this, you're probably fit enough to be an F1 driver.

For the insanity challenge you can do the Austria challenge 71 flights of stairs averaging 67 seconds a flight :twisted:
one lap of anger just 1 flight of stairs in 100 seconds? 3 m in a minute and a half? that's easy i do that in less than 10 seconds, come on. what the hell.
1 hour and 15 minutes thus for 44 flights? in essence, 44 floors? seriously, no problem.

no way that is the equivalent.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FelixAustria

I think he meant 44 floors within 100 seconds, so about 2.3 seconds per floor.
What's the source for that test / challenge?

godlameroso

No one floor per 100 seconds is a lap at SPA. Sure you can do one flight in 10 seconds easy, by the time you get to the 30th floor you'll see how hard it gets. Not talking stairmaster, or gym equipment, just old fashioned walking.

I did 35 floors and it took me about an hour, but I seriously never want to do it again.
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

Can I just sit in the car while they do pitstop practice
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

A lap at my kart track is much harder than doing a flight of steps in 100 seconds.

These F1 boys have got it soooo easy!

Or 1 flight in 100 seconds is completely wrong! Plus 1 lap of Spa and 1 lap of A1 ring is not going to be anywhere near the same.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 13:19
Can I just sit in the car while they do pitstop practice
You may be doing pit stop practice, but i drive a Mclaren Honda :lol:

I don't even need to do pit stop practice.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

JonoNic

Some ideas to add to this challenge.
https://youtu.be/zd2A6-OA5tI

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

3jawchuck

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 02:00

My mother can do that, and she doesn't cut the figure she used to in her youth. I think you or your source miscalculated.

godlameroso

You underestimate how hard it is to climb 44 stories, the first 10 is doable, the next 10 you start feeling in your legs, the next 10 starts getting difficult, the next 10 is a work out, and you still have 4 more to go. Then again I don't think I'm wrong because the fitness level needed to drive these cars isn't that high. No doubt being more fit helps, it means you're lighter, it means your energy is used more effectively, the physical strain on your neck etc becomes easier to deal with. However I think if you can do 44 stories you're probably fit enough to drive an F1 car. I make no mention as to the performance you'll be capable of, most likely the majority of us would be laughably slow.
Saishū kōnā

3jawchuck

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 21:35
You underestimate how hard it is to climb 44 stories, the first 10 is doable, the next 10 you start feeling in your legs, the next 10 starts getting difficult, the next 10 is a work out, and you still have 4 more to go. Then again I don't think I'm wrong because the fitness level needed to drive these cars isn't that high. No doubt being more fit helps, it means you're lighter, it means your energy is used more effectively, the physical strain on your neck etc becomes easier to deal with. However I think if you can do 44 stories you're probably fit enough to drive an F1 car. I make no mention as to the performance you'll be capable of, most likely the majority of us would be laughably slow.
It's not that hard, you're the one overestimating the difficulty. I will agree that the current generation of cars are not as physically tough to drive as they were in the past, they are almost certainly harder to drive than climbing 44 floors.

roon

Combined with the fact they're simultaneously piloting a craft at great velocities, with great changes in velocity, with great precision, while doing these 'stair climbs.' Cardiovascular fitness is only one piece of the puzzle. The brain, for example, is probably consuming quite a few more calories while piloting an F1 car than while walking up stairs with a handrail close by.

I suppose pressing on the brake pedal is a bit like calf raises.

NathanOlder

With the piece i saw earlier with Alex lynn , it says in a race the heart rate can stay above 150bpm for the whole race.

If I had to run a flight of stairs (3m climb) it will take me 3 seconds? So I'd have 1min 37 to recover. I'd bet my heart rate never reaches 150.

I do have a heart rate monitor to test this if needed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

netoperek

I can sure remember the pain when we did a 45 min run in a sort of drift-friendly karting track (way too much power for available grip). We had to rest for 1h or so, just to be able to drive out of the parking. It felt like literally every muscle was sore for the next few days, so it must have been an effect of g forces rather than just lack of power steering in those karts. I was rather fit back in those days.
Anyway I think stamina is a key. It's so hard to keep proper pace when You're getting fatigued even in simple 12 hp or even 9hp kart. I guess up to 2 hours in 800+ bhp, insanely high grip cars, while keeping track of all the knobs and switches, tire menagement, track situation, opponents and so on, while being sharp, fast and consistent the whole time is somewhat more demanding than stair climbing.

ScottB

I’m sorry, the notion of not needing to be ‘that’ physically fit and still be an F1 driver is a nonsense surely!

Unless they’re all knocking out triathlons and 100km bike rides in their training time out of boredom? Then looking exhausted after a race for a laugh, since apparently it’s the same physical exertion as running up some stairs!

Seriously, find me a racing driver that even remotely agrees with this assertion, because it sounds like an idea of someone who has no idea what level of fitness is actually required.