F1 Fitness Challenge

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

Re: F1 Fitness Challenge

NathanOlder wrote:yeah, I think the problem here is the original post is saying you need to do 44 flights of stairs over 75 minutes (easy)

800 flights over 66 minutes....... near impossible!!
World record for steps
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... 2-hours%29

4676 sets of stairs worked out on 15 steps each. Took 12 hours

391 in an hour if my maths is correct so some way short of an F1 distance

Edit - record time for empire state is just under 10minutes and they managed 86 flights so even speed attempts would struggle

strad

Every year various cities have charity races up certain buildings. In Seattle they race up the Space Needle. I'll have to do some checking but here I think it is/was started by firemen in full kit.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

3jawchuck

The other day me and the missus did the OP's suggested method of 44 flights of stairs, and taking 100 seconds per flight. This manifested as running up a flight, walking back down and then waiting. My average heartrate was 80, I can't give the maximum because my cheap-o monitor has a habit of randomly telling me I'm at 190, so I can only guess it didn't get above 100. Neither of us felt much other than a little tiredness in the legs near the end. The effort over the given time felt about the same as a brisk walk into town.

I think the OP misunderstood the source of their information. I'm much more likely to believe the below comment regarding the physical effort required to drive an F1 car.
Moose wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 16:52
8 minutes 20 for 42 flights is 11.9 seconds per flight. 5 minutes is 7.14 seconds per flight. As covered above, the exertion level of an F1 race is the equivalent of one flight every *5* seconds, continuously for 800 flights. So you've got to more than double your pace, and keep it up for 20 times longer, and you'll be at the level of an F1 driver.

Postmoe

Here we go again?

F1 fitness is very specific, driving is violent (and enjoying it takes a very special type of mentality), managing g forces is very tough, but stop that nonsense of comparing general levels of fitness, different sports...

The only logical result will be watching Vettel's infamous football match highlights. They are super fit, they're not fit at all, all at the same time. The only thing we can certanily say: drivers are very realiable and efficient batteries, low weight, able to work at high temperatures and surrounded by vibrations while keeping reflexes and focus. This is what makes them pretty special. Driving fast is easy, competing in an oven is not.

A pretty normal guy will easily surpass their performance climbing stairs. Thats why armies and drilling exist: humans suck at everything but at running long distances.