Jean Todt and strad on the same page???????

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Jean Todt and strad on the same page???????

Most know that over the years I have not sided with Jean Todt on much ... on this one I sure do.
FIA president Jean Todt believes the time has come for Scuderia Ferrari to lose their right to veto any potential rule change within Formula 1, which they have had since the 1980’s and the days of founder Enzo Ferrari.

Todt believes times have changed and it is not realistic for the Italian outfit to retain their power of veto, which they last used back in 2015 when it blocked the FIA’s plans to introduce a maximum price for engines and gearboxes.

“The veto was at the time of Enzo Ferrari, and he was isolated in Maranello,” said Todt to the media in London. “That was the only team supplying engine and chassis against some other teams that were all powered by Ford.

“So at this time, it was decided that being away from what is called the silicon valley of motorsport, they needed to have a protection. That is the story about the veto.

“But personally, I feel now I am not in favour of that. Times have changed.”

Todt was the only one to vote against the veto when it was last given to Ferrari for the 2013-2021 period, with all of the other teams at the time saying they had no issues that the Scuderia had the veto in place.

“I was the only one against. The only one,” said Todt. “I remember it was a meeting in Paris at the Place de la Concorde, in the FIA headquarters. It was the commercial rights holder. All the teams were there.

“And I said what is the position of the veto for Ferrari? They said ‘it was fine for us’. So it would have been inappropriate for me alone to say that I am against the veto right to Ferrari. The only thing is we modified the wording of it. So that is part of the answer.”
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SiLo

Re: Jean Todt and strad on the same page???????

Todt is exactly right. No team should hold that much sway over the entire sport and other teams! No other sport in the world has such an agreement. They shouldn't have it, they don't need it and it will almost always be used in their best interests.

Ferrari, whilst very important to Formula 1, shouldn't be seen as getting special treatment.

Money wise, I don't think they should get special payments, although I believe there should be historical payments for teams that have reached certain milestones (5 years, 10 years, 15 years etc). This way teams are rewarded for staying in the sport and the longest serving receive the best rewards.
Felipe Baby!

strad

I believe there should be historical payments for teams that have reached certain milestones (5 years, 10 years, 15 years etc). This way teams are rewarded for staying in the sport and the longest serving receive the best rewards.
I totally agree with that.
There should be clearly defined milestones as you call them and certainly with a clear cap.
After say 15 years you reach the top of the scale.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SiLo

strad wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 19:29
I believe there should be historical payments for teams that have reached certain milestones (5 years, 10 years, 15 years etc). This way teams are rewarded for staying in the sport and the longest serving receive the best rewards.
I totally agree with that.
There should be clearly defined milestones as you call them and certainly with a clear cap.
After say 15 years you reach the top of the scale.
Yeah there would be a cap on it. Or the milestones just get larger, say, 15 then 25 etc. It rewards teams for being in the sport longer.
Felipe Baby!

giantfan10

Much ado about nothing.....i could endorse all the hand wringing going on if Ferrari was vetoeing rules left and right...they have vetoed 1 rule in what 10 years?
This was negotiated in good faith by the governing body and will end in 2021....its extremely tacky to complain about an agreement that is sealed signed and delivered....do something about it when the concorde agreement ends and quit whining about it now is my message to Todt....he sure wasnt complaing when he was the team proncipal at Ferrari

Andres125sx

Some player having veto power to rulemakes, at any other sport, would be a scandal, seen as corruption, and probably taken to courts by someone. But this is F1, we all are used to this crap, but it´s crap anycase

It´s not Jean Todt and Strad, it´s Jean Todt and anyone with a brain

If that means Ferrari quit F1, bye bye, but it would be pretty sad FOR THEM if they only accept competing with a privilege their rivals can´t enjoy....

sklonk

The fact that the other teams say they have no issue with Ferrari's veto rights doesn't say much.

What the teams really want is more power for the teams against the regulators. As a result they are unlikely to want any one team to give up any special powers.

Or see it this way: F1 does something wacky that none of the teams like. The other teams can convince Ferrari to veto. Teams win over regulators.

strad

...they have vetoed 1 rule in what 10 years?
I believe you are wrong. A quick read of Adrian Newey's book would point to an easy half dozen. ANy time another team comes up with something that might give another team an edge they quickly veto it.
Sir Stirling Moss

zac510

In the cases where unanimous approval amongst the teams is required to change the rules, all teams in effect hold the power of a veto.