F1 without Ferrari?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
awro

F1 without Ferrari?

Hey guys!
Jean Todt,some days before, told that F1 can live without Ferrari if Marchionne thinks is better to leave f1 instead of turn on the brain (my personal thought). What do you think? About marketing, don't you think that both (f1 and ferrari) will be damaged? Why they just don't do a step in each other's direction for the good of the sport?

George-Jung

Re: F1 without FERRARI

Because that is not the way these Italians negotiate.. ;)

dans79

It's time someone called their bluff!
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

I like Ferrari, but if the choice is F1 OR Ferrari, bye and thank you. I dont think it will get even close to that though F1 needs Ferrari almost as much as Ferrari need F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

awro

George-Jung wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 17:46
Because that is not the way these Italians negotiate.. ;)
I'm Italian and I might be offended by this...ahahah I'm joking. Anyway yes, you may have right. But also, I think that for the story and the number of fans that Ferrari can bring to the sport, is it fair that it has a little "look of favour" by the Organization (not in the way that is going now...)

ScrewCaptain27

F1 will not last very long at all IMO without Ferrari. A good 75% of its fanbase would be gone for good.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

awro

Well, I think that F1 will go on...but at least with 35-40% less public...

santos

I think it would be a huge loss for F1... the value of the sport would drop a lot. And i belive that if Ferrari leaved F1, Mercedes would also. Is Ferrari bigger then F1? Yes, it is. And you would only be lying to yourself if you think it's the other way.

GPR-A duplicate2

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 18:10
F1 will not last very long at all IMO without Ferrari. A good 75% of its fanbase would be gone for good.
Brabham, Lotus (80s), Honda, BMW, Toyota, McLaren (in doldrums). Has anyone stopped watching F1? Quite honestly, drivers attracts more fans than teams, but then, Clark, Fangio, Niki, Prost, Senna, Michael are not there racing in F1. Has the F1 lost it's charm? The show, simply goes on. If ferrari exits today, a good few years down the line, no one feels the void. Any show, needs showmen to be successful. But then, show men keeps coming and going. There will be new teams and who knows, probably far better show might be possible, which is not today because of Ferrari's Veto power on regulations! Who knows!

There are a ton of high profile automobile companies are willing to come to F1, IF F1 can be a simple formula with regards to engines and costs. What is F1 today? Expensive Cars, that requires in excess of $500 millions to gain a second in performance, sounding like vaccum cleaners with an engine that requires scientists from NASA to configure and run on track! Two automobile giants, who have poured billions and managed to get to the front and holding the show to ransom.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 16 Mar 2018, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

motobaleno

I think the real question is not if F1 can go on without ferrari: of course the answer to this question is yes (even if with a loss of popularity)
The real question is: can F1 survive if Ferrari decides to leave AND promotes (directly or indirectly) another championship alternative to F1?
This is a much dangerous threat especially considering that there are many more big auto manufacturers not involved in F1 (basically all of them except mercedes, renault and partially honda) that could be attracted by an alternative championship).

GPR-A duplicate2

motobaleno wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:04
This is a much dangerous threat especially considering that there are many more big auto manufacturers not involved in F1 (basically all of them except mercedes, renault and partially honda) that could be attracted by an alternative championship).
If Merc and Ferrari goes, the likes of Brawns will simplify the formula and attract a lot more participants (with similar reputation profile). What will Merc and Ferrari do, with the current generation of PU that they have built, who will they attract in an alternate series? Who wants to join them in a competition that requires a billion dollars to beat them?

For the good of F1, FIA/Liberty should simply get rid of them.

awro

GPR-A wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:07
motobaleno wrote:
If Merc and Ferrari goes, the likes of Brawns will simplify the formula and attract a lot more participants (with similar reputation profile). What will Merc and Ferrari do, with the current generation of PU that they have built, who will they attract in an alternate series? Who wants to join them in a competition that requires a billion dollars to beat them?
And this, as far as I think, brings to another question: can Mercedes and Ferrari withdrawn from F1 and put all the money on Formula E, in order to 1) invest more money on the full electric 2) leave the big shining (but expensive and less usefull than the past in relation to FE) 3) make rise (commercially and economically) another championship in order to make more mone and more lucrous situations for both of them?

GPR-A duplicate2

awro wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:18
GPR-A wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:07
motobaleno wrote:
And this, as far as I think, brings to another question: can Mercedes and Ferrari withdrawn from F1 and put all the money on Formula E, in order to 1) invest more money on the full electric 2) leave the big shining (but expensive and less usefull than the past in relation to FE) 3) make rise (commercially and economically) another championship in order to make more mone and more lucrous situations for both of them?
Who would join them in any series that they would like to start? They would have gone out with the reputation of two greedy thugs that wanted to control the sport and wanted to maintain their supremacy over the rest and never cared for the sport. Who would be willing to come and surrender to such lopsided attitude? And for that, dump millions to get humiliated. If I am a CEO of a company, I would never join such crooks to get my a** screwed in the name of competition. I as a CEO, would look at an equal opportunity to compete and where would that be available if Merc and Ferrari are out of F1? Of course in F1.

Big Tea

I hope Ferrari do not go, but if they do, and the existing setup becomes untenable, there is always the option of using F2 as a start point and allowing some of the things not currently allowed to them, so as not to detract from the primacy of F1.

Much of the expense of F1 is to allow the cars to have the performance they do while the regulations try to reduce the performance they could have

A reduction in costs with a more or less clean page restart could develop to a F1 level in a few years as manufacturers and collaborations with manufacturers fill the gap left by the extremely restricted and very expensive series creates a niche for a new , more road relevant if thats what they want, but more competitive series.
The mid table teams of todays F1 and the several teams in other series capable of entering this now formula would be quite capable of filling the vacuum, and the loss of existing contracts with TV etc leaves many possibilities.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

motobaleno wrote:

The real question is: can F1 survive if Ferrari decides to leave AND promotes (directly or indirectly) another championship alternative to F1?
Marchionne threatened this just a few days ago.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38232.html
At the Geneva motor show, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne doubled down on his threat to quit the sport by saying the Maranello team could race in America instead.
All I can do is laugh at him, because Ferrari is not held in nearly as high a regard here as they are in other parts of the world. The press here would eat them alive.
197 104 103 7