New F1 Theme Music by Brian Tyler

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moose

Re: New F1 Theme Music by Brian Tyler

Peter1919 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 22:38
You do realise that The Chain was the BBCs theme music for their F1 coverage and not F1's official theme music? Channel 4 now use The Chain as the theme music for their F1 coverage (presumably under some license agreement with the BBC or something given ITV never did this when they did coverage of F1).

The real question is why the hell Liberty felt that F1 needed its own theme music given its TV companies which choose what theme music to use for their coverage not F1.
I do realise exactly that - but that doesn't change the fact that emotionally for most F1 viewers, The Chain is the theme song for F1.

McL-H

While everyone thought F1 couldn’t go any lower, Liberty managed to do exactly that by changing things that didn’t need any change, while keeping intact what was wrong with it. Previous logo was better, previous theme song was better, grid girls were better... Might they have an interest in Formula E? In that case, they’d be doing a great job....

McL-H

Moose wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:09
Peter1919 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 22:38
You do realise that The Chain was the BBCs theme music for their F1 coverage and not F1's official theme music? Channel 4 now use The Chain as the theme music for their F1 coverage (presumably under some license agreement with the BBC or something given ITV never did this when they did coverage of F1).

The real question is why the hell Liberty felt that F1 needed its own theme music given its TV companies which choose what theme music to use for their coverage not F1.
I do realise exactly that - but that doesn't change the fact that emotionally for most F1 viewers, The Chain is the theme song for F1.
F1 is bigger than GB...

dans79

Moose wrote:
That depends on what country you are from.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Most of F1 is from GB though. Plus it started in GB, more teams ever have come from GB, more constructors championships belong in GB, more drivers wins/champions are from GB.

GB is more to F1 than Ferrari is, and some people will tell you Ferrari are bigger than F1.

So I'd say IF (big if) F1 had a home, It would be Great Britain.

Back on topic, I think The Chain would be voted the theme of F1 more than any other song ever has been.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:26
Back on topic, I think The Chain would be voted the theme of F1 more than any other song ever has been.
The chain was released in 1977, before even I was born. I can assure you that The Chain does not resonate with the target audience Liberty wants to attract.
197 104 103 7

Sevach

dans79 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:23
Moose wrote:
That depends on what country you are from.
Pretty much, i've been watching F1 since the 80's, i don't have a clue which song people are talking about.
Anyway... the new one is crap.

I used to like that short jingle in the beggining of transmissions in the 90's.

NathanOlder

Im sure a lot of people would recognise the theme but have no idea its called the chain. The they go to youtube to play the some and will say they have never heard it in their life. But its only the final bit of the original song that is recognisable.

Here is the intro on BBC with The Chain.

https://youtu.be/5z-dJ35fOiM
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Sevach wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:43
Pretty much, i've been watching F1 since the 80's, i don't have a clue which song people are talking about.
This one, jump to about 3 min mark.

it kicks in at about 1:10 in this BBC intro.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

I like it. Modern, manly and has an action movie feel to it. I think it will fit F1 quite well once images are coupled with it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:58
Sevach wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P160_odTwyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTwmKOHcGY
Decent song - well only the last part is any interesting for me!! But that was never an official theme though. You would only hear that on the BBC F1 intro. I don't think younger people liked it much.

The new theme sounds almost like the them as it was on "speedvision" which i think was OK. Nothing special but very neutral.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

dans79 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:58
Sevach wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P160_odTwyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTwmKOHcGY
It's pretty decent, it fits well.

ringo

The theme is good, as it reminds me of the Superbowl or NBA finals, and a grind prix event should feel like a grande finale. I think it's the right direction to go, we can't hold on to nostalgia all the time.
As PZ said it will fit in with a lot of the action highlight reels.
For Sure!!

johnny comelately

Liberty have taken a liberty that I do not want to give them :wink:

Moose

In general, even if the chain was not the thing they went for, I think the thing the chain got right was simple - electric guitar.

Electric guitars have a great way of eerily resonating with F1 engine sounds. They wouldn't have needed to put the crappy fake engine sound over the top of the song if they'd gone that route.