New F1 Theme Music by Brian Tyler

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
KeiKo403

Re: New F1 Theme Music by Brian Tyler

Omg just the sounds of cars in the background. Cringe!!

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:16
Maybe so, just out of interest, how old are we all ? I happily show my name, age and location on my profile so it gives people a better chance of understanding my views and opinions.

I still consider myself fairly young for a die hard F1 fan, I'd guess at the average age of the regulars on this site at 35-45 ?
I'm 38, and I get the distinct feeling that many here are older than I am.

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:25
I think in reality, it is aimed at younger new fans, and that obviously what Liberty are looking for, if that is the case, it doesn't mean the older/longer viewers should have to like it. So I don't see why some people say we should just accept it and stop moaning. blah blah blah,That would mean we are being told to take whatever we are given and like it.
You're old and hooked so you will watch anyway, and thus they don't care what you think. What your 13 to 15 year old child thinks is another matter. :lol:
197 104 103 7

Maritimer

I guess at 25 I'm on the younger end of things here. Liberty have a very good idea of where they want the market to shift despite all the Magoos here claiming otherwise. The only way to grow things at this point is to attract younger viewers, so they want an image that relates to the media young people consume- that being generic music and flashy visuals. Sucks, but that's how western consumerism is. Lowest common denominator always wins when it comes to marketing towards people who aren't already engaged in something.

Fulcrum

dans79 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:38
Fulcrum wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:41
I can't vouch for anyone else, but I think your argument is extremely reductive. You don't need to cite nostalgia to motivate that this is mediocre.
It's not about nostalgia, people of different generations just have different tastes in music.

Fulcrum wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:41
I actually think this is an example of Liberty Media showing their age. They have no clue about the product, they're paying too much attention to their market research, and have no intuitive ability to query their own decision-making processes.
And you say I'm reductive, yet you are the one that has fallen back into what is quickly becoming the "we don't like Liberty" party line, of their incompetent or don't know what they are doing....
And a badly composed, b-grade movie backing track appeals to younger audiences precisely how? Your argument would make more sense if the new theme was rap, R&B, or Hip-Hop.

dans79

Fulcrum wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:56
And a badly composed, b-grade movie backing track appeals to younger audiences precisely how? Your argument would make more sense if the new theme was rap, R&B, or Hip-Hop.
You assume that the target audience listens to one of those 3 music genres.

For example here in the states NASCAR is still targeted at young lower and middle class males who are prominently white (imo). The music choices are usually country, rock, metal, or a little pop.

Metal

country/rock
197 104 103 7

tinvek

ian_s wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 22:06
sounds like the NASCAR music to me, which is not a good thing.
funny you should say that, this was my reply on the iracing forum

apart from the superhero vibe, the bit between 0.16 and 1.10 sounds like it's designed to be a generic music "bed" played whilst you get the usual "welcome to wherever for the whatever brought to you by whoever" introduction to an american presentation or for the welcome back after a commercial break, not picking on Americans, just every country has their own style of broadcast.

Silent Storm

This one is used in the movie Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and composed by Brian Tyler and IMO fits the new F1 better.

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

strad

In the A/V world 3 minutes is an eternity
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Giblet

If you think this theme is good let me ask you, can any of you hum it after hearing it once?

I sure can't.

It's not a theme, it's a SCORE. But a score is supposed to line up with what you are watching.

Even the recently used Sky one at least I can recognize and it grew on me.

It's just not a memorable arrangement.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

GM7

IMO the part between 1:10 and 2:10 is good, otherwise the parts with the sound of the cars is... well, try not to cringe.

I perfered this music theme.

Chuckjr

Wow. What a disappointment.

Musically, the writing is like 3rd grade. The key changes and progressions are maybe first grade level during the entire opening segment. Call me crazy, but you'd think Liberty could hire a composer who had a bit more creativity and depth musically for a multi million production theme song for F1. God knows how long this piece of musical fail is going to be pounded into our heads week...after week...after week...after week. I feel like I was just sentenced. I feel myself getting dumber just thinking of what my brain will be exposed to listing to something like this for 21 weekends every year. It's like being forced to listen to baby's crying or something. This had to have been music by committee. Had to. No one person could have gotten it this wrong unless they were trying.

Then. Then. The coup d'etat, they paste the car engine noises attempting to match the pitch of the music. Can somebody pass me a double shot of gin and tonic, please? That fact alone is going to force me to mute the tv every time it starts. I just cannot take it.

Oh, and before I begin to try to forget...whoever they hired for the drum programming for that POMS needs to seriously dig deeper in the creative fill department. Come on man. At least give it a college try. I mean, the rest of us will have to listen to your fail for the next decade! Have some compassion for chrissake.

I know what happened...Bernie hired the composer.
Watching F1 since 1986.

AJI
AJI

Totally and utterly awful. However, it fits the Halo perfectly, so at least they're 'on message'.

Just_a_fan

AJI wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:21
it fits the Halo perfectly, so at least they're 'on message'.
Nah, at least the halo gets a reaction, the theme tune is just, well, background. #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

So, its time to change your national anthem because its been around since some of you were born?

There is a good theme in this clip, but needs editing to tidy up. See the 1 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPBdBIFGNQ

this is 'interesting' too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrSNFjkGdU
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:09
I get the feeling people's ages are showing in this thread. If you don't like the new one it's probably because it's not aimed at you, it's aimed at your children or grandchildren.
I don't have any children. I do have a shed load of cash to spend. Their choice.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.