Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

hollus wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:27
AMUS was also reporting (from the same model) that the flat floor would be gone, with two proper underfloor tunnels.
The twin tunnels are quite obvious from cfd picture.
"In downforce we trust"

Morteza

List of 2021 standard parts (from AMuS). I used Google Translate so there are mistakes here and there.

-Calipers
-Brake discs
-Brake pads
-Steering column
-Rims
-Halo
-Crash structures laterally and behind
-Axles
-Nuts
-Drive shaft
-Brake and accelerator pedal
-DRS mechanism
-Innards of the fuel tank such as pumps
-Pit stop equipment: These include jack, gallows and impact wrench.

Also steering wheel and the gearbox
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

regarding standard parts, does that mean there will be only 1 sole provider for the part?

Like we have Pirelli for tires,
does that mean we will only get OZ for example for Wheels,
Brembo for brakes,
and similarly one for gearboxes?

or is it like the helmets and are there simply a few select approved manufacturers that offer these?
i don't really like the idea of a standard gearbox for all teams to be honest.

Regarding pit equipment, sure, why not. DRS mechanism too.
Crash structures, Halo. these all sound pretty reasonable to me.

But i think it takes the mindset of F1 away to standardize such a bunch of things.

I'd absolutely hate it if F1 turns into Formula E or Formula 2 in standardization.
It's just not F1, it's not the soul of F1.

If that happens, i'd pick Ecclestones side immediately in his suggestion to start a splinter formula series.

Also, i fully hate these designs í've seen coming by. Forcing F1 into some design route. It's exaclty what's wrong with F1, and the stupidity of all the rules.

Take the high noses for example, which are banned. With the Halo, the original reason and motivation as to why the nose was lowered in the first place is gone. Still, the rules maintain the same to which originally caused those horrendous duck and 'other word for rooster' nosecones. They're not as ugly now as a few seasons back, but still, if i compare it to the cars from 2008 they're miles apart. Doesn't mean i was enjoying a crowd of winglets though.
Now, we have DRS. Now, we have wider front wings, wider and higher rear wings. they keep repeating the same nonsense. Refueling is banned because of the idea of being greener, which is the biggest crap there is as they still use the same amount of fuel, perhaps even more because the cars are now heavier since they have to carry more fuel.
we see spectacularly fast pitstops that additionally cause accidents because they are rushing it.
So cutting refueling to be safer isn't really working as it should either.
I'm also pretty sure in the 'where's a will there's a way' regarding potential danger from the hybrids systems with refueling. standardize that. like the halo.
artificial tire wear. good god.

they're out of their minds. they complain that overtaking is hard because of the wake of the cars, and staying behind a hot car in front causes the car to overheat and the tires aswell wich further kills overtaking, and they come up with wide wings. those r-tards should simply ditch the rediculous idea of extreme artificial tire wear.

I'm not completely agains tire wear, but this is just rediculous. especially knowing what the tires actually cost.

take away drs. (re)introduce active aero.
take away artificial tire wear and reintroduce refueling. have them decide what they do, no obligated pitstops.
allow proper underfloor tunnels.
switch to greener fuels, e-fuels, whatever they want to call it.
ditch the fuel flow rate rule.
Keep the V6T-Hybrid, but allow a 4 cylinder inline turbo hybrid too.

open up rediculous rules regarind floor areas, sidepod areas, nosecone areas and shapes and what more.
give the teams back the freedom to use their imagination and use a variety of approaches to reach the goal.

all the cars look the same now, i absolutely hate it.

give me back cars with high noses, single front wing pillars, bow-shaped front wings, U-shaped sidepods,
F-ducts, S-ducts, blown diffusers, blown axles, blown wheels.

The winglet on Williams' launch car was illegal for crying out loud. what nonsense. If a troubled team like that can make something like that, financial or development reasons are NOT why it should be so vigerously regulated.

The best car shows, and those most entertaining, are those that are not of a single brand or model.
I want to see a Lamborghini next to a Ferrari next to a Pagani next to a Bugatti, a Mclaren, etc. and they all should look totally different enen though are all supercars.
Seeing 2 exactly the same dodge challengers with 2 drivers equaled in size and shape, are boring to the bone.
People want to see a wildly updated and customized challenger hellcat or demon versus a similarly rediculously updated mustang or camaro, or versus a japanese contender.

Unfortunately, with all do respect to our American citizens, i don't expect anything else but liberty media, an american business, wanting to steer f1 in a copy of Nascar, where everything generally is the same.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 18:43
List of 2021 standard parts (from AMuS). I used Google Translate so there are mistakes here and there.

-Calipers
-Brake discs
-Brake pads
-Steering column
-Rims
-Halo
-Crash structures laterally and behind
-Axles
-Nuts
-Drive shaft
-Brake and accelerator pedal
-DRS mechanism
-Innards of the fuel tank such as pumps
-Pit stop equipment: These include jack, gallows and impact wrench.

Also steering wheel and the gearbox
Interesting... but wouldn't the FIA have had to started the tender process by now like they have for the gearbox cassette? I've not seen anything appear yet. You can check yourself on http://legal.fia.com/.

Some of these are already spec parts, like the lateral crash structures and halo. While the halo is spec, there are 3 manufacturers teams can choose to purchase from, so standard won't necessarily mean single make (likewise some aspects of the gear cassette will be tailored by the engine manufacturers). I guess a standard DRS actuator exists from F2/F3. It could also be that the rules are tightened on parts so they essentially become spec, but the teams still have some control over design.

Pirelli always show their tyres with OZ wheels, so maybe a standard wheel rim is something they're pushing for...
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

Ref the standardised Gear assembly, would this mean all ratios would be the same? and would overall gearing be standardised?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:01
Ref the standardised Gear assembly, would this mean all ratios would be the same? and would overall gearing be standardised?
The ratios will be fixed across all teams but the cassettes are tailored to each power unit manufacturer's requirements.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

djos wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 22:08
hollus wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:27
AMUS was also reporting (from the same model) that the flat floor would be gone, with two proper underfloor tunnels.
The twin tunnels are quite obvious from cfd picture.
Not so. I see a flat floor between the inlet tunnels and diffuser.
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:41
Big Tea wrote:
The ratios will be fixed across all teams but the cassettes are tailored to each power unit manufacturer's requirements.
So are they able to A) Selectric their own ratios and B) change this option during the season or from season to season?

Mclaren say that they suffered due to a miscalculation with their ratios last year. It would not be good if it was a one time option or an enforced option

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:33
jjn9128 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
So are they able to A) Selectric their own ratios and B) change this option during the season or from season to season?

Mclaren say that they suffered due to a miscalculation with their ratios last year. It would not be good if it was a one time option or an enforced option
They won't be able to switch no. A single manufacturer will supply the same ratios for all teams.
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:45
Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:33
jjn9128 wrote:

They won't be able to switch no. A single manufacturer will supply the same ratios for all teams.
Thanks

Partymood

Probably not the right place where to post this but see that we are discussing rules changes...
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/joha ... n/4374275/
The only thing I don't agree with is the P2P device...

FrukostScones

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14307 ... s-and-rims

so it begins.. F1 (insert stupid F1 logo here) SPEC (stupid font) SERIES (stupid font).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

jjn9128

Be sure to check out http://legal.fia.com/ if you want to see the official tender documents!!

All 3 have to be submitted by 22nd May with the decision coming June 14th - around when the rules should be finalized.
Design
It is anticipated that the wheel rims will be similar to current F1 wheel rims. The design will be part of
the selected PROVIDER’s responsibility, but it should aim to meet as much as possible the
COMPETITORS’ satisfaction.

It is probable that the wheels will have a fairing closing the outboard face. This will be confirmed by 1
January 2020. Provision should be made for fixing this fairing. Positioning of the inflation valve should
consider this fairing.

The design of the bead and the well will be agreed with the TYRE SUPPLIER.

The mounting detail to the car will be a prescribed design. It will have a single wheel nut, which will
not be captive. Drive pegs will be part of the axle. Any spacers between the wheel and the axle will
remain with the axle.

The inflation valve is part of the tender. It should follow current F1 practice.

A standard tyre temperature and pressure sensor (TTPS) will be mandatory for 2021. This is not part
of the tender, but the wheel should include the mounting for this. The design of this mounting will be
agreed with the supplier of the TTPS.
#aerogandalf

roon

This solves everything. Now we can get back to having Williamses running neck and neck with Mercedeses just like the good old days.

Only change I would make is: how about a spec driver? Call him Juan Mansell Fangiovanazzi von Shoemaker. Saves you a few tens of million a season right there. Think of all the custom rims you could buy with that money. Oh, wait. He has a halo built into his forehead, so some weight savings for the cars and he can safely headbutt with the other drivers like mountain goats in a post race exhibition round upon the podium. Whoever can defend the top step longest wins the race!

Big Tea

Juan Mansell Fangiovanazzi von Shoemaker :shock:

I wish I could change my user name :D :D =D> =D> =D>