Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MtthsMlw

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

3jawchuck wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 18:15
Moustache man said "... ultimately eliminate the environmental impact of the sport...."

So, they're going to announce the cancelling of F1 from 2021 onwards?
No but trying to be co2 neutral

Big Tea

So its another rise in weight and size then? I was hoping for smaller more nimble cars, but as Ross says, the safety has to come first (even if being hit by a heavier car is worse )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

Funny how the exact moment she says "fairer" they show the controversial moment when Max rammed Leclerc off track

https://youtu.be/epdmatdvSzk

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

RZS10 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:58
Funny how the exact moment she says "fairer" they show the controversial moment when Max rammed Leclerc off track

https://youtu.be/epdmatdvSzk
I caught that as well, hopefully it is a sign for the FIA to clean up their act and stop this "let them crash" nonsense.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 01 Nov 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Big Tea wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:57
So its another rise in weight and size then? I was hoping for smaller more nimble cars, but as Ross says, the safety has to come first (even if being hit by a heavier car is worse )
Airbags add weight but make up for it by increased safety, same with the safety systems in F1.

The cars will be shorter wheelbase, and thus overall.

Sierra117

What a brilliant and educated response by Ross regarding the climate issues and engines:

All the manufacturers know that there isn't a single answer to the needs of the future. So electric cars are one part of the solution but also finding fuels which are sustainable; renewables that can also provide part of the solution. I mean, there are a billion fuel-powered cars on this planet and we're not gonna get rid of them in the next two years. So we have to find other solutions. And I think Formula One can be a really strong figure-head in terms of finding us those solutions and promoting us those solutions and publicising those solutions, because there won't be one solution to the challenges we face. So in a way, I'm glad we didn't change the engines that much, because we're now presenting the power unit suppliers with a new challenge, which is to provide solutions to our problem.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Pat's response to Peter Windsor about the brakes was great too. They are really thinking about the environmental impacts and how they can address it

I wonder if they are going to go further down that route and looking at bio resins

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

littlebigcat wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 21:19
Pat's response to Peter Windsor about the brakes was great too. They are really thinking about the environmental impacts and how they can address it

I wonder if they are going to go further down that route and looking at bio resins
Symonds said that they were looking into carbon ceramic and that iron rotors would be too heavy.

djos

Big Tea wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:57
Champ cars were always heavier that F1 but having 900hp meant they were still exciting to watch and the fact that they could race pretty close together (even on street circuits) made for great racing.
"In downforce we trust"

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 21:30
Symonds said that they were looking into carbon ceramic and that iron rotors would be too heavy.
Yes but he also mentioned the particulates from the braking with regards to the environment.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

littlebigcat wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 00:25
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 21:30
Yes but he also mentioned the particulates from the braking with regards to the environment.
Yes, will the carbon ceramic material eliminate or greatly reduce those particulates?

They should also eliminate the use of dry ice on the cars, it is an unnecessary waste. The elimination of tire warmers was a great idea but pirelli incompetence blocked that.

Also inerters and any type of hydraulic suspension are now banned.

strad

I have been thinking about the use of all that dry ice a lot in light of this supposed concern about CO2 footprints.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marmer
marmer

The dry ice situation is embarrassing the cars should be able to sit on the grid with the engine off without cooking themselves. Personally I wouldn't allow any kind of cooling or heating to the car they should be designed to cope with demands of being stationary without bursting into flames

MtthsMlw

strad wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 02:33
I have been thinking about the use of all that dry ice a lot in light of this supposed concern about CO2 footprints.
Don't you just take CO2 out of the atmosphere while producing dry ice? Resulting in net zero CO2 added to the atmosphere.
Excluding the energy being spend in the producing process.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

marmer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:01
The dry ice situation is embarrassing the cars should be able to sit on the grid with the engine off without cooking themselves. Personally I wouldn't allow any kind of cooling or heating to the car they should be designed to cope with demands of being stationary without bursting into flames
That is not why they use the dry ice, it is used for a "performance advantage". They wouldn't burst into flames.

The engine oil must be pre warmed before engine startup.