Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:35
marmer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:01
The dry ice situation is embarrassing the cars should be able to sit on the grid with the engine off without cooking themselves. Personally I wouldn't allow any kind of cooling or heating to the car they should be designed to cope with demands of being stationary without bursting into flames
That is not why they use the dry ice, it is used for a "performance advantage". They wouldn't burst into flames.

The engine oil must be pre warmed before engine startup.
But only because that's how they are designed. I think Marmer was suggesting engines that don't require that. Won't happen though anyway.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:20
strad wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 02:33
I have been thinking about the use of all that dry ice a lot in light of this supposed concern about CO2 footprints.
Don't you just take CO2 out of the atmosphere while producing dry ice? Resulting in net zero CO2 added to the atmosphere.
Excluding the energy being spend in the producing process.
There is all the energy used converting it to 'dry ice' to be added to the original.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

How do you figure they just take CO2 out of the air and turn it into dry ice?
First they make CO2:
It is produced by burning natural gas to separate the carbon and hydrogen atoms. Hydrogen is then combined with nitrogen to create ammonia. The carbon atoms can then combine with oxygen to create CO2 as a byproduct.
Then the CO2 is purchased and turned into dry ice thusly
Dry ice is made through a relatively complicated process, including:
Pumping liquid carbon dioxide into holding tanks and released into tanks into a dry ice press.
The liquid cools to the freezing point and is inserted in a dry ice press. The dry ice press will put a large amount of pressure on the liquid beneath to press it into a shape.
The liquid will immediately turn into a solid and then resemble snow. Once the snow is created, the dry ice press will use extreme amounts of pressure to compact it into a firm block.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

MtthsMlw

mzso

Is this for real? :)

strad

I believe so. Why do you ask.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mzso

strad wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 19:43
I believe so. Why do you ask.
Seems too wacky.

NathanOlder

Yeah, the wheel displays are pathetic. What a stupid idea. I don't feel they need any panels, but if they must to help the fans who have no idea what they are looking at, then use a panel like Indycar.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

They will have the panels on the side of the car and i assume those will be visible (and readable) for people at the track but some display in the wheels?

Somewhere on here it was stated that the covers spin with the wheel, so the only way to display anything on them is making them partially translucent and projecting stuff onto them from within the wheel assembly (or having a display just behind them).

Kinda doubt it will do any good when the cars fly past the spectators at the track so it will be something for the coverage, and anything you'd want to put there you can just as well put onto the overlay?

Maybe they'll just use it to advertise F1 parters ... AWS etc

djos

I’m not saying I like the idea (cause I hate it), but turning the spinning wheel cover into a display with fixed LEDs is child’s play.

"In downforce we trust"

JordanMugen

RZS10 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 16:09
Somewhere on here it was stated that the covers spin with the wheel, so the only way to display anything on them is making them partially translucent and projecting stuff onto them from within the wheel assembly (or having a display just behind them).
You can just use a line array, as there is a persistence of vision effect. It will need some control electronics to match the line array output frequency to the wheel's rotation frequency, but this should be trivial.

RZS10

I thought of the "projection" method because the covers will most likely be attached to the wheels since they're supposed to spin, they won't come off with the wheel nuts (?)

With any display system that would be on the covers themselves you'd need at least two or three sets of four per car and some kind of connector when putting on the wheels, unless you'd go wireless but then you'd have to have a perfect weight distribution of the electronics+battery etc ...

astracrazy

Do we know what the use is yet of the wheel displays? I presume the car displays will be position or something?

Because I kind of have a feeling they are going to display this fake rubbish new AWS tyre life graphic on each wheel. Each wheel will be green, yellow or red. It's the only thing I can think of why this would be used on all 4 wheels and have a so called "reason" to be there. I guess some people might believe it.

marmer

astracrazy wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 17:31
Do we know what the use is yet of the wheel displays? I presume the car displays will be position or something?

Because I kind of have a feeling they are going to display this fake rubbish new AWS tyre life graphic on each wheel. Each wheel will be green, yellow or red. It's the only thing I can think of why this would be used on all 4 wheels and have a so called "reason" to be there. I guess some people might believe it.
Perhaps it's getting round showing the current compound which will be much smaller with lower profile tyres so if it's in the rim it's better could have just forced painted rims to match tyres though