Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Look at how the back side of the rear wheel is covered by "bodywork", that would decrease trailing turbulence immensely. I personally think that it is a possible good step towards increasing the ability of the cars to race closer while maintaining the current high speeds.

I notice 18" tires in this concept, also it seems like they may have gone back to a narrower car.

wesley123

Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 22:11
I Hope they are not about to sacrifice F1 to 'Looks Cool'.
They definitely are
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

I wish they would focus on these things for 2021:

A narrow front wing that fits between the front wheels, get rid of the neutral middle section, and only allow 2 elements.

Wheelbase at maximum 3000-3100mm

Increase diffuser size

Get rid of DRS

jjn9128

Anyone else massively disappointed they're still at this concept stage and not in a position to show some actual models and CFD evidence of improved performance in a wake??

It looks like the same unrealistic s**t you see all over the internet, weird perspective/proportions, I expected more of Brawn and co.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 11:22
Anyone else massively disappointed they're still at this concept stage and not in a position to show some actual models and CFD evidence of improved performance in a wake??

It looks like the same unrealistic s**t you see all over the internet, weird perspective/proportions, I expected more of Brawn and co.
Agreed. I'm wondering if they are not already getting out of time for the 2021 season?

jjn9128

wesley123 wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 11:28
Agreed. I'm wondering if they are not already getting out of time for the 2021 season?
We've already seen the 2019 regs have taken about 4 months (and still no sign of the definitive rules being published) to get through the FIA drafting process, for a fairly simple front wing and bargeboard change. So the lead on a completely new bodywork reg must take least 2 years to get through all the layers of bureaucracy.

So they need the final idea now really to have time to write the rules and give them to teams prior to 2021 - teams will want them e/o 2019 at the latest to make a start on concept modelling in their future cars departments.
Last edited by jjn9128 on 13 Sep 2018, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

santos

Fans of F1 are never happy… they didn't liked the cars in 2009, then they didn't liked the cars in 2014. This year it's the halo… Now the ideia of a new car for 2021... What do you want people? The cars from the 60's?

WaikeCU

santos wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 11:39
Fans of F1 are never happy… they didn't liked the cars in 2009, then they didn't liked the cars in 2014. This year it's the halo… Now the ideia of a new car for 2021... What do you want people? The cars from the 60's?
Stop making radical changes to the rulebook. Changes cost money and radical changes even more so. Of course big teams can pay these huge costs, but even so, some are threatening to quit the sport. Others file in bankruptcy, simply because they get into financial troubles.

Holm86

santos wrote:
I want a set of regulations that are well thought through, so we don't end up trying quick fixes every other year.

wesley123

santos wrote:
Ironically it is this 'fanbase' that they are trying to appeal to.

Big Mangalhit

I think the better way to change rules and increase parity would be to change how money is distributed. I think it should be equally distributed. That already would massively increase small teams performance and financial health. Big competitors would be slightly hampered but nothing they couldn't turn around. They would still dominate probably, but not 1s away from all the others. Then we could get some surprises from other teams from time to time

jjn9128

santos wrote:
What I want to see is a properly thought out regulation set, not some 14 year olds photoshop exercise (proportions on the image look just wrong, e.g. the chassis looks too small to actually fit a drivers legs and feet). The gen 2 Formula E car for example has really revitalised what an single-seater race car can look like.

I suppose the main thing I want to see is some evidence it will make F1 racing better, and consign DRS (at least in it's current form) to the bin.

(Also putting Pirelli branding all over it kinda makes me think the 2020-onwards tyre tender is being fixed.)
#aerogandalf

ecapox

Why should money be equally distributed? This is sport, not Communism.

Why should a team that squanders money due to mismanagement be "guaranteed" financial health? Remember how much money Toyota threw at F1, and still sucked? Why should McLaren, who, in my opinion, have done the worst job in recent history, get the same amount of money as Toro Rosso or Mercedes?

You win, you get more money. You lose, you get less. If you are completely inept, you get nothing.

gibells

I remember being impressed with the wheel to wheel raising in the first few races of 2009. The cars were sliding as they struggled for grip. I even thought I saw front end drifting. I realised the organisers had achieved what they set out to achieve, i.e. drastically cutting back on downforce. And then slowly slowly the designers clawed back those downforce points with the double diffuser, exhaust blowing, etc. etc. to the point where there was more downforce than ever before. And hence the racing became a little more predictable.

Our minds constantly evolve concepts and we strive to improve from point to point. Inevitably we reach these goals.

Don't look at it like the rule makers are always changing the rules. Think of it like they need to change these rules to get those boffins to keep extending themselves to come up with new fascinating solutions to the tight boxes they find themselves in.

The reason you'll never catch me watching FE isn't because of the batteries (ok well maybe), is mainly because it's a 1 make series. Same with Indy and F2 etc. etc. That's why they're feeders to the pinnacle.

FrukostScones

Puke!
Rear wheel covers??? Eff off.
F1 follows FE?
F1 never follows.
Always leads.

Brawn also said in one AMUS interview that F1 laptimes will get slower and no fan will be able to spot it. LOL, right now you can spot with your own eyes at the track how ridiculous the speed differntial between qualy and race is.

These guys Liberty and Brawn have no clue. They now design a product that the majority customers (fans) apparently want...making F1 look futuristic... make it look like a vape and Ipad,or Saber Riders electric horse? appeasing children or what..?

So F1 will kill itself with these Hasbro looks. And FE is bullsh*t too. Not that I dislike fully electric E.Racing monster (PikePeak VW!!!), but do it that people are left astonished and not ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzleeping off.
So Todt said F1 will never go fully electric? So setting a natural time limit of relevance? Just stop it then. With saying that you can jus name it BOSS GP1 now. Archaic ritual like a joust festival it will be.
...also the farce with the selfdriving Roborace LOL.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.