Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ScottB

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 13:09
ScottB wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 12:57
The second Sauber seat will be between Ericsson and Giovinazzi, with maybe Vandoorne as an outside bet, can't see any chance of Perez appearing there.
I would have gone along with that, until they signed Kimi, now all bets are off
Not really, it's an unexpected use of, but still use of, Ferrari's influence. The second seat will come down to who has more over it, Ferrari (Giovinazzi), Longbow (Ericsson) or Vasseur (Vandoorne).

ScottB

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 13:32
Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 13:09
ScottB wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 12:57
The second Sauber seat will be between Ericsson and Giovinazzi, with maybe Vandoorne as an outside bet, can't see any chance of Perez appearing there.
I would have gone along with that, until they signed Kimi, now all bets are off
I get the feeling Ericsson will be driving to keep his seat over the next few races. What I can't guess if Giovinazzi is still in the frame or if Kimi has taken up Ferrari's one free seat. Maybe Stoffel still has a shot there, even if it's a remote one. On the other hand, Haas haven't confirmed anybody, so Giovinazzi may also get consideration there. Personally, I think it's less likely for him. It's an interesting situation at Haas, KMag has more points at the moment, but Romain is quicker overall. Call me crazy, but I would keep Romain Grosjean over KMag.
Haas report today saying Grosjean needs to maintain his recent performances to get a new deal, no mention of KMag in it. So you could interpret that as he's either safe or gone, and Romain is on a shoogily peg.

There's not a lot of options around that would be an obvious upgrade on either mind you, Haas haven't been overly keen on Ferrari juniors, Vandoorne wouldn't be an inspirational move, Ocon is probably a no for his Merc link. Perez would be a good one if he did fancy leaving Force Stroll, but I suspect it's likely to carry on with what they've got, with Giovinazzi an outside bet if he doesn't get into the other Sauber seat.

ringo

Can Giovinazzi's case is weakened by Leclerc going to the A team?
Ferrari now have their future in Leclerc so there will be less urgency to develop Giovinazzi?
For Sure!!

Big Tea

ringo wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 18:21
Can Giovinazzi's case is weakened by Leclerc going to the A team?
Ferrari now have their future in Leclerc so there will be less urgency to develop Giovinazzi?
It can go either way now they the comparison is v Kimi rather than another driver who has not truly been measured.

A good result against Kimi will look very good, while a poor one will ask some questions. Especially if people think Kimi is just in it for the enjoyment and the drive is less than it was.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

The interesting rumor is, that Ferrari are just as suprised about Kimi going to Sauber as we are.

From that, the popular conclusion seems to be that Kimi knew before Monza that his contract will not be renewed at Ferrari - supposedly since Hockenheim.

It would explain why Kimi was defending as aggressively against Vettel at Monza.

Further, one would assume that Ferrari wanted to place Giovinazzi at Sauber, but Kimi signing there first obviously makes that difficult now.

From what it sounds, no one expected this move by Kimi/Sauber. Not even Ferrari and now that everything has been confirmed, everyone is putting on happy faces about it, making the best of it. The real winners here are Sauber, Kimi and Leclerc.... and us f1 fans.

It also seems Liberty are behind it in some way, not wanting to lose two high profile driver in one year.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Edax

Just thinking, any thoughts about George Russel at Williams? Performance wise he is beating Norris at the moment. While he does not have the billionaire daddy, but he has Merc backing and the combination Williams+ British driver should be worth something.

FrukostScones

Edax wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:01
Just thinking, any thoughts about George Russel at Williams? Performance wise he is beating Norris at the moment. While he does not have the billionaire daddy, but he has Merc backing and the combination Williams+ British driver should be worth something.
Russel is worth more than Ocon. So if I was Toto I'd install him there at Williams.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Raleigh

Ocon and Russel would be a fantastic line-up for Williams, unfortunately the team needs money, Sirotkin has $15m a year sponsorship and Mazepin is eyeing an F1 seat with enough backing that his father was competing with Lawrence Stroll to buy out Force India.

I can see Toto being able to swing one seat, but two is very unlikely.

Starscreamer

Dreaming of Jos Verstappen STR 2019 [-o< :lol:
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

TwanV

Raleigh wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:25
Ocon and Russel would be a fantastic line-up for Williams, unfortunately the team needs money, Sirotkin has $15m a year sponsorship and Mazepin is eyeing an F1 seat with enough backing that his father was competing with Lawrence Stroll to buy out Force India.

Although Russell obviously has a lot of potential, if I were Williams I would aim for Ocon to bring the team forward. Sirotkin has a technical background and Ocon is quick and has enough F1 experience to be able to provide feedback to give the team direction in improving the car.

FrukostScones

Wehrlein released by Mercedes...
Ready for TR or end of road?

rscsr

FrukostScones wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:10
Wehrlein released by Mercedes...
Ready for TR or end of road?
More like he stays in DTM and drives for either BMW or Audi.

wunderkind

Raleigh wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:25

I think Toto and Mercedes should pay Williams to take on both Ocon and Russell. But I do understand having four drivers on the grid will be a major distraction for Toto. I'm sure Ocon and Russell are mature enough, but I think Niki can play a bigger role in coaching Ocon and Russell like Jochen Neerpasch or Jochen Mass did for Schumacher/Wendlinger/Frentzen.

HPD

This is now :!:
Pascal already officially announced that it is free from Mercedes

FrukostScones

BUE in Singapore for talks, Wehrlein in Singapore for talks, ...who else? 8) =D>