Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 22:49
Hamilton is a vegan and is doing ok...
Let’s not compare a kid with Lewis Hamilton. Lewis is a different pedigree whether he’s vegan or eats a chunk of meat.

George looks humble outside the car. It’s in the car where he shines. So let’s not expect too much of him and just give him time. Could see him ride a similar career path like Bottas, before making the switch to a big team, but first a few seasons to let him mature.

turbof1

ringo wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 22:28
Russel looks a bit scrawny to manhandle a modern F1 car.
His figure is almost androgynous.

He will need to start pumping iron and eating tons of meat for 2019, if he is going to take on the host of aggressive crash kids we have in Magnussen, Verstappen, and Vettel.
You don't need meat to bulk up. I know because I know a couple of people from the training centre who are vegan and able to increase muscle mass. They do need to replace the proteins and other elements in some way or form however.

For the record, I do agree he needs to bulk up. His body will have to be able to cope with consistent high lateral forces plus the extremely humid conditions of some race.
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

Back to the open spots.....

Guaranteed stroll will get the Force Stroll seat. Alongside him, pretty damn sure, Perez.
The team itself, even owned (in part) by daddy stroll, doesn't have a benefit from losing out precious drivers.
Perez is very experienced, is partial owner of the team (if my memory serves right he has a stake), performs great,
and his knowledge and setups are essential for setting up a decent performance.
Furthermore, Perez isn't a real 'danger' for Stroll's 'popularity' so to speak. Perez beating stroll, nobody bats an eye.
Stroll beating Perez, well, it would be pretty good for Stroll, but still, nothing spectacular.
Ocon vs Stroll is a much more potential for disaster, discomfort, and clashes.
I personally also very much doubt Ocon's anywhere near Perez' capacity to 'lead' a team or be so professional in setting up.
I believe Ocon gets a huge help out of home base Mercedes.

The only discomfort with losing Ocon is losing a Mercedes engine discount, surely. But let's be simple; if there was a real
chance of Ocon going to Force India next year, it would have been announced and be clear long ago.

Leaving only Williams. Even if Giovanazzi isn't confirmed yet (or is he?), i don't think he'd be allowed to go to Sauber due to Mercedes.
Williams won't hire Sirotkin, there's Kvyat back in the Toro Rosso, so Sirotkin immediately became redundant for next year. The only
reason he's there is because he's russian.
Ocon to Williams, alongside Russell. Huge engine discount for Williams, something the need desperately. Other contractual benefits.
Possibly Mercedes taking a stake again in Williams. Paddy's there, Williams Mercedes B-team or 'testing platform', and additionally,
Ferrari blockade.

Both Ocon and Russell get a chance to shine @ Williams without the pressure of the midfield. Ocon will get Bottas' seat in 2020,
or get hired by another team. Renault, most likely, to pair with Ricciardo. Mick Schumacher surely will be taken aboard by the same
starter of his legendary father, Mercedes, and Schumacher will join Williams in 2020 alongside Russell.
2021; Hamilton's Merc contract ends. If He renews, He gets Bottas seat. If Hamilton quits/moves, he'll get Lewis' seat.
That is, if he performs well enough.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach

kptaylor wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 19:23
zeph wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 00:21
Apparently, Toto Wolff believes Williams would be a step backwards for Ocon from a career perspective, so chances are he has advised him to stay away.
Versus a drive in Force India, I agree. However, versus no ride at all or merely a reserve/sim driver?
Toto choose the best option, if he put Ocon in Williams instead of Russel, that's a no win scenario for Ocon, no one can impress in a Williams currently(that can change in 2019 but it's still a huge "if"), and beating Sirotkin (or whomever wins the bidding for the seat) wouldn't do much for his stock.

Putting Russel and Ocon together, still wouldn't help them much, given their vastly different experience levels Ocon would be expected to win with some margin, very little to gain a lot to lose.

Russel given his inexperience probably survives a beating, but the alarm would be up and he would be in a "must step up" the next season.

If Russel matched Ocon however it would mean welcome to Formula E Esteban!!!!

Just_a_fan

WaikeCU wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 07:02

George looks humble outside the car. It’s in the car where he shines. So let’s not expect too much of him and just give him time.
Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out the fallacy in the earlier post about having to eat lots of meat - something I love, by the way, but which isn't necessary for a racing driver.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FrukostScones

STR should get the seat in his fathers team, PER should get it because he made the team possible (by suing FINDIA for $).
If PER gets screwed for OCO ,I expect him to be pretty pissed and will take painful legal action.
So that why for me it is in stone STR/PER.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dodds_turbo

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 09:29
Leaving only Williams. Even if Giovanazzi isn't confirmed yet (or is he?)...
Giovinazzi was confirmed back in August:
Antonio Giovinazzi to race for the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team

NathanOlder

Sevach wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 09:37
kptaylor wrote:
zeph wrote:
Apparently, Toto Wolff believes Williams would be a step backwards for Ocon from a career perspective, so chances are he has advised him to stay away.
Versus a drive in Force India, I agree. However, versus no ride at all or merely a reserve/sim driver?
Toto choose the best option, if he put Ocon in Williams instead of Russel, that's a no win scenario for Ocon, no one can impress in a Williams currently(that can change in 2019 but it's still a huge "if"), and beating Sirotkin (or whomever wins the bidding for the seat) wouldn't do much for his stock.

Putting Russel and Ocon together, still wouldn't help them much, given their vastly different experience levels Ocon would be expected to win with some margin, very little to gain a lot to lose.

Russel given his inexperience probably survives a beating, but the alarm would be up and he would be in a "must step up" the next season.

If Russel matched Ocon however it would mean welcome to Formula E Esteban!!!!
Thats exactly how I see it. I can't see Toto pairing the 2 together, it will more than likely kill one of their careers.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sevach

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:21

Thats exactly how I see it. I can't see Toto pairing the 2 together, it will more than likely kill one of their careers.
Yup, the Red Bull cutthroat style management kills careers every year.
Even when the guy is kept after the other is promoted you just know the clock is ticking.

FrukostScones

6 of 12 wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 00:17
Has the possibility of HAM retiring been discussed yet? He has reached all he wants to reach and shown that he is better than the only other driver who was similarly successful that drove during his time. Also, he is more relaxed than he used to be and putting up business alternatives in fashion and music. It really is the perfect time for him to go on an all-time high. Also: why is Ocon so relaxed about his drive when Mercedes manouvered Russel into F1 instead of buying the Williams seat for Ocon? I know Lewis has a contract but so did Rosberg. I'm going to say:

Mercedes: BOT / OCO

...or is it just wishful thinking? The boredom he is causing is damaging for the sport. I'm so sick of him winning and his fake "oh thank you to the crowd first" B.S. also, I really like Ocon
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27370 ; )

BOT/OCO would be ZZzzzzzzzzzzz
They would need to hire VET or RIC or ALO :mrgreen: to at least cover for some the loss of HAM.

ScottB

6 of 12 wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 00:17
Has the possibility of HAM retiring been discussed yet? He has reached all he wants to reach and shown that he is better than the only other driver who was similarly successful that drove during his time. Also, he is more relaxed than he used to be and putting up business alternatives in fashion and music. It really is the perfect time for him to go on an all-time high. Also: why is Ocon so relaxed about his drive when Mercedes manouvered Russel into F1 instead of buying the Williams seat for Ocon? I know Lewis has a contract but so did Rosberg. I'm going to say:

Mercedes: BOT / OCO

...or is it just wishful thinking? The boredom he is causing is damaging for the sport. I'm so sick of him winning and his fake "oh thank you to the crowd first" B.S. also, I really like Ocon
Soon? Forget about it.

Recently he's been talking about wanting to drive the 2021 cars, so, he may be with us for awhile yet.

I think, until the last year or so, him retiring 'soon' was quite likely, however, a few things have happened since then, firstly, he's closing on some more big records, so he's got that to motivate him, and, secondly, I think Vettel has ****** him off, so I can see Lewis staying around until Seb goes, or at least until he's certain he'll be the one to retire with more titles.

Finally, I just don't see him walking out on the team mid contract. What Nico did was a bit of a **** move that is unlikely to be repeated, and certainly not by Lewis, unless there was some sort of colossal falling out, which, again, seems very unlikely.

Ocon is 'relaxed' because there's nothing he can do, and moaning publicly isn't going to get him a seat. Williams wanted Russell because he's their kind of driver and is a better PR move; taking the promising F2 champion is better than giving a seatless Merc driver a ride when it's spun for the media, even if it amounts to the same thing, also, it's been described as 'multi-year' where we can assume Wolff's plan is probably Ocon replacing Bottas in 2020. That's not to say Ocon might not still pop up at Williams, but I can see why they'd want Russell ahead of him.

FrukostScones

Ferrari: VET/LEC !
Mercedes: HAM/BOT !
Red Bull: VES/GAS !
McLaren: SAI/NOR !
Findia: STR/PER !
Sauber: RAI/GIO !
Toro Rosso: KVY/ALB/HAR
Haas: GRO/MAG !
Williams: RUS/SIR
Renault: RIC/HUL !

kptaylor

Wehrlein goes to FE so with Stoffel also heading there it'll be interesting who gets picked for the remaining few (2?) seats!

iotar__

Sevach wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 09:37
kptaylor wrote:
zeph wrote:

- Bold quoted part is of course correct.
- "Toto choose the best option" is not. Driving in F1 is no win for a driver? "Beating", "losing", why would the next Merc superstar be afraid of Russel/Sirotkin?
- They didn't get the seat so they're bull...ing that they didn't want it in the first place :roll:. Weak positive spin.

nevill3

Alexander Albon is now rumoured to be in with a chance for driving for STR next year in Hartleys seat
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978