Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

I think we all can be pretty sure Williams, having the final 'open' slot, will surely go to Ocon.
Williams is smart in holding out to the last moment, and getting as much money as they can.

They have already decided it's gonna be Ocon, there's really no doubt about it.

Sirotkin doesn't do it, he's a slow as fuzz and completely useless, kubica is a great asset but let's face it,
how high i rate him, he's still got a handicap, both in actual pyhsical form, as a long time out of F1. Testing etc. is not the same
as a full race season.
Meanwhile, Ocon is fast, getting experienced, has a lot of Mercedes money behind him, is proven, has no handicaps, and is guaranteed
better than Sirotkin, whilst Russell is a total rookie.

They can't have a non-experienced driver there, and Sirotkin-Russell is just too inexperienced too.

However, by playing it to the last moment, they can open up a money bidding game.

Sirotkin's camp will offer more and more and more money.
Meanwhile, Mercedes easily offers a better deal with engine discounts and a driver in the form of Ocon.

So Williams will say to Sirotkin, bring more money to deal with it.
And say to Mercedes, you want your boy in a race seat? 1 left, Sirotkin is gonna offer this, bring it.

I think the sore loser here is going to be Kubica. Williams is going to go with Ocon-Russell,
and then also get still some Sirotkin moneyz by ditching Kubica and giving him Kubica's job.

Kubica then goes to Renault to do the same there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

As so much is expected of Rookies these days, you think Russell will be in trouble if Ocon beats him comfortably, as expected.

On the other hand, if Russell beats Ocon, that will be Ocons Merc seat gone for 2020 surely.

As I said before, how many times has a Toro Rosso driver done well once he was beaten by his team mate?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

netoperek

Manoah2u, Mercedes already put one of their drivers with cash and big discounts. They won't be too keen to cash out much more to get both seats for their drivers. It's also a risk pairing them together, as it could potentially complicate a career for the slower of them. Plus, Ocon is only interested in 1 year deal, which isn't exactly what Williams want. Just few days ago Ocon didn't give a damn about Williams and was pretty sure he'll have a one year pause with a promise of a decent car for 2020. Rumors have it Mercedes is trying hard to find a wealthy title sponsor for Williams, with cash flow independent from the driver, as that's pretty much all they can do to seal the deal. Williams have all the data and know how good Kubica is. His image and sponsors are an added value, probably more important that he could develop the car and tutor young Russel, as Williams is all about money. The don't give a damn about raw speed and natural talent, they care about their account balance most of all, at the moment.
Markelov's father, who could potentially participate in the 2nd Williams seat auction is in custody until december, hence Robert said he won't wait till december, as for now, he is their best option,

kptaylor

Are we sure Russell's deal includes a Merc discount? Haven't seen official confirmation and thought I saw somewhere (can't find it again) that there were no discounts given. With Kubica securing some additional backing ($10M) I hope that helps him get past the Russians with money and little talent. If Ocon can bring (additional) discounts and youth, then Robert is in a tough situation. Toto seems to be playing Williams on the Ocon deal, so there's still hope left for Robert!

molina

kptaylor wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:20
Are we sure Russell's deal includes a Merc discount? Haven't seen official confirmation and thought I saw somewhere (can't find it again) that there were no discounts given. With Kubica securing some additional backing ($10M) I hope that helps him get past the Russians with money and little talent. If Ocon can bring (additional) discounts and youth, then Robert is in a tough situation. Toto seems to be playing Williams on the Ocon deal, so there's still hope left for Robert!
I've also read (probably Autosport?) that was Russell on his own -and his family- who approached Williams. He will still have some support from Merc, but the merit of getting that seat is completely his.

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:42
As so much is expected of Rookies these days, you think Russell will be in trouble if Ocon beats him comfortably, as expected.

On the other hand, if Russell beats Ocon, that will be Ocons Merc seat gone for 2020 surely.

As I said before, how many times has a Toro Rosso driver done well once he was beaten by his team mate?
Not necessarily... I don't think the F1 career of Russell will go that fast. I think he'll stay at Williams for 1 more season at least to mature.

ScottB

So what if Ocon is just 1 year? If he leaves, it’s to Mercedes, a potential swap with Bottas? Wouldn’t exactly be a terrible outcome for Williams...

JordanMugen

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:42
Of course, that's how F1 works!

I am not sure that Russell will be out if beaten by Ocon. It depends by how much. If only a tenth or two, than Russell will continue. If Russell is consistently 0.5s/lap or more behind, then Russell will be out of F1.

Manoah2u

Bottas never was that spectacular or 'so much' better than his teammates. Neither Massa nor Bruno Senna. On the contrary, actually. Yet he has a Mercedes mothership seat.

Just putting it out there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wouter

According to Joe Saward:

There are now only three drivers being mentioned in relation to the seat: Esteban Ocon, Robert Kubica and Nyck de Vries. Kubica has $10 million from Poland, while de Vries has the problem of not be assured of a superlicence until the Formula 2 season is finished. He is currently fourth in the championship and needs to retain that place to get the licence. Nyck also races in sports cars, sharing a Racing Team Netherlands Dallara-Gibson with Giedo van der Garde and Frits van Eerd. The car is sponsored by the Jumbo supermarket chain (which is owned by van Eerd and his family) and the suggestion is that he will provide money for de Vries to get into F1.
Claire Williams wants to wait now with the decision until after Abu Dhabi. Kubica is not happy with that.
The Power of Dreams!

WaikeCU

Wouter wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 12:27
According to Joe Saward:

There are now only three drivers being mentioned in relation to the seat: Esteban Ocon, Robert Kubica and Nyck de Vries. Kubica has $10 million from Poland, while de Vries has the problem of not be assured of a superlicence until the Formula 2 season is finished. He is currently fourth in the championship and needs to retain that place to get the licence. Nyck also races in sports cars, sharing a Racing Team Netherlands Dallara-Gibson with Giedo van der Garde and Frits van Eerd. The car is sponsored by the Jumbo supermarket chain (which is owned by van Eerd and his family) and the suggestion is that he will provide money for de Vries to get into F1.
Claire Williams wants to wait now with the decision until after Abu Dhabi. Kubica is not happy with that.
She just wants to milk it. See if she can finds better than that. Every reason to be upset for Kubica, because he's just playing the waiting game. He just needs to know where his future is heading.

NathanOlder

deVries is crap. Sirotkin will do a better job in 2019 than him. So I can't believe deVries will get the seat.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 12:07
Bottas never was that spectacular or 'so much' better than his teammates. Neither Massa nor Bruno Senna. On the contrary, actually. Yet he has a Mercedes mothership seat.

Just putting it out there.
So?

He was the best man for the job on short-notice after Rosbergs unexpected retirement. And rightly so, as Mercedes secured both championships last year and are looking to do the same this year too. So with all criticism directed at Bottas, Mercedes sure has done a solid job in hiring the right people to do the "job".

Is Bottas part of Mercedes long-term plan, perhaps as a replacement for Hamilton if he decides to quit F1? Probably not. If Ocon does drive against Russel and Russel shows to be faster, then I don't know why Ocon should be looked at as a replacement for Hamilton. Same applies to Daniel Ricciardo too. He came into RedBull and beat Vettel. Excellent. But now he is being beaten by Max. So like it or not, his stock took a hit. Same applies to Ocon too if he can't cut it against Russel...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

kptaylor

If the reports are true that Williams thought they had a done deal with Rich Energy Claire may need to wait to re-evaluate the financials.

JordanMugen

Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:20

He was the best man for the job on short-notice after Rosbergs unexpected retirement.
Was he?

Mercedes had Wehrlein available, who had outperformed Ericcson and who could be a star!
WaikeCU wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 12:58
He just needs to know where his future is heading.
Kubica should secure a solid drive in Super Formula or Indycar, instead of waiting around for an F1 drive! A championship win there (say in Japan) would open the door to an F1 return! :D