Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
netoperek

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 22:14
NL_Fer wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 20:28
How can someone suspect Russell is not quick? We all see Norris as fast, but Russell was better/faster in F2. Russel is beating Kubica, but we assume Kubica is to slow. Maybe he is the real deal and we are looking at a Verstappen/Russell (Merc) vs Hamilton/Leclerc (Scud)
Agreed, Russell is the real deal.

As for Ocon, last time he had a front running car, he won the GP3 championship. The time before that, he won the EuroF3 championship beating Max. How can anyone doubt his abilities?

Ocon and Russell are good enough for Mercedes.

I can imagine 2021 being Ocon Russell at Mercedes. Leclerc and Ricciardo at Ferrari.

Max will end up 30yrs old without a title stuck on marko's lap :lol:
Biggest problem judging Russel agains Kubica is coming from Williams failing to give them both equal chances. It's hard to deem Russel real deal, when he "needs" help from his team to beat his teammate. I don't say George even want this special treatment, as I think he could potentially even beat Robert fair and square at even terms, but still it is as it is.

djos

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 15:24
djos wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 00:54
loose canon like Checo.
Checo is anyting but a loose cannon #-o

Ocon proved he's exactly that in the extremely short time he was in F1.
I'll have to disagree with you mate, Checo imo was utterly ruthless to the point of throwing away good team results by forcing Ocon into collisions. Let's face the facts, Checo only has a seat thanks to his Carlos Slim backing and his actions when the team folded last year - he washed up big time at Maclaren ond imo proved conclusively he was not top driver material.
"In downforce we trust"

GPR-A

djos wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 02:17
Manoah2u wrote:
djos wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 00:54
loose canon like Checo.

I'll have to disagree with you mate, Checo imo was utterly ruthless to the point of throwing away good team results by forcing Ocon into collisions. Let's face the facts, Checo only has a seat thanks to his Carlos Slim backing and his actions when the team folded last year - he washed up big time at Maclaren ond imo proved conclusively he was not top driver material.
Everytime they came together, it was Perez who was driving dirty. The incident that happened between Mad Max and Ocon in Brazil last year, it was ignorant swerve by Max that cost Ocon, who was simply doing his job. If there was anyone who has been a loose cannon, it has been Perez when Ocon was driving with him. You only have to look at his incidents with Massa in Canada and last year with Sirotkin in Singapore. That tells you the recklessness of Perez.

iotar__

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 05:19
djos wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 02:17
Manoah2u wrote:

Everytime they came together, it was Perez who was driving dirty. The incident that happened between Mad Max and Ocon in Brazil last year, it was ignorant swerve by Max that cost Ocon, who was simply doing his job. If there was anyone who has been a loose cannon, it has been Perez when Ocon was driving with him. You only have to look at his incidents with Massa in Canada and last year with Sirotkin in Singapore. That tells you the recklessness of Perez.
This is what gets you points here, outright incorrect claims:
- Ocon (90-10) caused Baku that cost FI possibly double podium or at least a podium
- Singapore (70-30) unless you don't understant how corners work
- Spa was 50-50--sh AFAIR
- vs Verstappen it wasn't a great unlapping overtake but collision was Verstappen's fault

He tried time and time again moves that don't work and ended up in collisions. it would make some sense if he had some great risky overtakes (edit: like Perez =P~ ) on his record but I don't recall anything like that. His rececraft was not improving

-His race pace was weak compared to Perez 90% of the time, even if you consider Perez top in that regard it's not great.

- His qualifying in the second season was very solid so that alone makes a case for an F1 seat over Albon,
Giovinazzi, Raikkonen, Stroll obviously :roll: and similar drivers.
- Mercedes rumours were always silly, since Bottas is better at everything

djos

Lol , this coming from the forums resident contrarian doesn't carry much weight.
"In downforce we trust"

GPR-A

djos wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 13:33
Lol , this coming from the forums resident contrarian doesn't carry much weight.
He has proved himself to be blatantly one sided in his arguments. It ia no secret that he supports anyone driving against Hamilton and has crush on Grosjean and Perez, two of a kind.

ringo

Kubica is the weakest link on the grid. Ocon will go to Williams and face Russel.
Williams will see some improve by borrowing insights and tech from Mercedes.

Mercedes will keep Bottas, as long as he continues to perform on the level he is at now. 2 wins so far is a pretty good performance. Especially compared to last year.

Ferrari i can see Vettel staying. He wants to win with them. Leclerc would have to beat him two times for him to leave.

Max is stuck with Honda and Redbull. Though 2021 could be their year. The 2019 car is pretty decent even with the power deficit.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

langwadt wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 11:51
WaikeCU wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 10:39
JordanMugen wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 06:08

Kubica should secure a solid drive in Super Formula or Indycar, instead of waiting around for an F1 drive! A championship win there (say in Japan) would open the door to an F1 return! :D
This would not work simply because Kubica is getting too old. If he goes to indycar, I expect him to remain there and not come back to F1.
Kubica is 33, hasn't driven an F1 car in anger in 8 years and never in the current formula, I can't see how he is going
to get a seat
:twisted: :roll:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

ringo wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 16:16
Kubica is the weakest link on the grid. Ocon will go to Williams and face Russel.
Williams will see some improve by borrowing insights and tech from Mercedes.

Mercedes will keep Bottas, as long as he continues to perform on the level he is at now. 2 wins so far is a pretty good performance. Especially compared to last year.

Ferrari i can see Vettel staying. He wants to win with them. Leclerc would have to beat him two times for him to leave.

Max is stuck with Honda and Redbull. Though 2021 could be their year. The 2019 car is pretty decent even with the power deficit.
I've got to say that as much as I like bob, I expected more from him and can't see how he'll be on the grid next year if he doesn't show big improvements.
"In downforce we trust"

netoperek

It seems Williams is getting exactly what they wanted. Even pertrolheads in here, gets an easy answer from scoreboards without questions asked. It's not Kubica who needs an improvement for the most part, it's his car and Williams actions that need to get things right! Each time Kubica is in front of Russel (which happens quite often on the race days), he for example gets commands to turn engine into fuel saving or to lift and coast while Russel gets full power to catch him, one gets proper strategy, other don't (like Monaco for instance where they refused to pit Robert on SC while he was ahead of George) - take a look at onboards if You don't believe, actually from any race You want. You'll also see some substantial difference between their cars while You watch. One of those cars can turn and brake, the other one not so much... On the last weekend, Robert's car couldn't even go straight while braking! That could have been bad luck or just plain incompetence for, what 2-3 races? It is too consistent though, week in, week out. Seems they really want to get Latifi (or his money) very badly. I don't know what's in Kubica's contract, but it seems they want to use some sort of performance clause, possibly to stay with Orlen's money? If Willams have been in the position to fight for points, I bet we'd see a very different story.
It must be the only car on the grid which gets slower with each session by the way (unless George have trouble finding setup, then Roberts car works well even at FP3!). When Kubica has been asked how come he drives so well on the first few laps and then his pace drops, the answer was simple - the car doesn't matter that much then...
Don't get me wrong, Russel is a very good driver, it seems though someone at Williams want to either see Robert fail or make George greater in comparison that he really is.

ringo

Robert just does not have the balance of strength to drive an F1 car all out for 50 laps.
Russel has been hands down faster than him. Robert has not shown an ounce of brilliance on the track out of all the races so far. He drives respectfully but he is a liability to williams at the moment. He is better off being the test driver.
He has knowledge on setup and balance however he just cannot manage driving the car at the highest level required to finish ahead of Russel.
For Sure!!

netoperek

ringo wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 23:35
Robert just does not have the balance of strength to drive an F1 car all out for 50 laps.
Based on what? Any particular argument for that statement? Any specific case of Kubica lacking strenght?

As for the rest of it, It's getting boring repeating myself.
Mark Hughes, who is rather restrained I'd say, isn't as convinced as You, recently wrote:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... te-battles
euphemistically pointing out that it's a bit odd what happens in Williams.
Unless You were just that more careful in observations than anyone who has some doubts and seen the deeper truth.

ringo

netoperek wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 00:06
ringo wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 23:35
Based on what? Any particular argument for that statement? Any specific case of Kubica lacking strenght?

As for the rest of it, It's getting boring repeating myself.
Mark Hughes, who is rather restrained I'd say, isn't as convinced as You, recently wrote:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... te-battles
euphemistically pointing out that it's a bit odd what happens in Williams.
Unless You were just that more careful in observations than anyone who has some doubts and seen the deeper truth.
There may be something there. But it is in Kubica best interest to complain about the car. To clear the air, Williams need to make a statement about Robert getting equal machinery; or to say if he had suffered getting the junk parts. Even with that, there is just something about losing 7-0 to a teammate, some of that has to be down to Russel making better use of the opportunity.
But let's say Kubica's excuses are justified, Ocon is still a way better pick than Robert.
For Sure!!

roon

Maybe some will move to WEC hypercars. RB designed one the entries.

NL_Fer

Grosjean 2 points, Giovinazzi 0