Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Bottas to RedBull? come on, are you even remotely serious?

Gasly is definately going to get the boot next season or perhaps even this season with how he's performing.
It was embarassing. And all along, Albon just keeps being more and more impressive. He's more or less demanding
that second RB seat right now, and i think he's going to get it, unless Kvyat will get it before him this year, which remains
a possibility too. It's easy switching seats there.

As for Bottas, i'm far more facepalmed by Gasly than Bottas. After all, Bottas actually performed pretty well to be honest,
it was Hamilton who managed to make the biggest mess during the race, but unfortunately, Bottas - who made the LITERAL
same mistake as Hamilton did, did manage to catch the barriers and thus end his race.

I was surprised by how bad Hamilton's form was but then again, i do have in the back of my mind he wasn't on his 100% from
qually on. Everything went wrong at Mercedes though, but to be honest, it's not like Ferrari was scot free.
It's a miracle Vettel finished p2 which is pretty astonishing itself aswell.

I still see no reason to replace Bottas.
What is clear is that RedBull is definately gaining pace and on the right track, which i think is going to result in that Verstappen,
no matter what happens at Mercedes or Ferrari, is going to stay at RedBull.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ScottB

The reason to replace Bottas is that he has shown he’s not a viable replacement for Hamilton.

Lewis is 34, so succession planning has to be a factor. Mercedes presumably believe that Ocon, and, indeed, George Russell, are talented guys. Sooner or later, that has to be proven, ideally before their lead driver retires.

There’s a lot of sense in putting Ocon in the car next year to see if he sinks or swims.

Manoah2u

ScottB wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 07:26
The reason to replace Bottas is that he has shown he’s not a viable replacement for Hamilton.

Lewis is 34, so succession planning has to be a factor. Mercedes presumably believe that Ocon, and, indeed, George Russell, are talented guys. Sooner or later, that has to be proven, ideally before their lead driver retires.

There’s a lot of sense in putting Ocon in the car next year to see if he sinks or swims.
and again, he doesn't have to be. First of all Hamilton is still here. Second of all, Bottas is like Barrichello to Schumacher. He has his benefits. Or better, he's exactly as the team molded and shaped him to be for the team.
They've never been looking to replace Hamilton with Bottas. They'll replace Hamilton with someone else, whe he leaves.

It makes zero sense to replace Bottas with hotheaded diva Ocon, and ruin the perfect synchronicity that is Bottas and Hamilton, and make it harder to fight for WCC/WDC, as you can see recently, is starting to get harder and harder for Mercedes.

I'm not a huge Bottas fan but people need to get off his back. He's doing exactly as he should and he might not be spot-free but hell, neither is Hamilton.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

JordanMugen

ScottB wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 07:26
I don't think Ocon is good enough. I think it is better to copy Ferrari and move Russell directly to Mercedes after one season.

Jolle

I assume Mercedes just has one focus in the drivers market, how to continue when Hamilton retires. Ideal is how Ferrari signed Raikkonen for 2007, but I think Mercedes is a bit more loyal to Hamilton and wait for him to make the call when he decides to quit.
Both Ocon and Russel are still not a proven race winner, so they probably already have some “what if” contracts with Verstappen who is probably the only real option. And if Hamilton decides to race after 2020, good chance Verstappen makes more money from Mercedes then driving for RedBull in 2021.

Starscreamer

No swop RBR this year
Marko let Gasly drive for RBR the rest of the season
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Manoah2u

Starscreamer wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 09:56
No swop RBR this year
Well, i understand that decision though.
Even if i do believe Albon is miles better and faster than Gasly, who proved himself to be inept,
throwing him into the deep midseason is a risky move.
Better to let him mature during the season at Toro Rosso.
I have no doubt he'll drive for RedBull next season. No doubt whatsoever.

Then why not replace Gasly with Kvyat? Well, even though Kvyat would manage sufficiently i think,
and surely be better than Gasly, he'd only be keeping the seat warm for half a season and Toro Rosso
will miss out on a very experienced and stable driver.

Last but not least, Gasly might have some clause in his contract to prevent something happens to him
like has happened with Kvyat a few seasons ago and get demoted back to Toro Rosso.
If that is the case, then that means ditching Gasly means putting Albon/Kvyat in his seat,
but also needs to fill a Toro Rosso seat mid-season.

Gasly should be thankful. He's proven to not be capable to drive for a top team.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 10:07
Starscreamer wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 09:56
No swop RBR this year
Well, i understand that decision though.
Even if i do believe Albon is miles better and faster than Gasly, who proved himself to be inept,
throwing him into the deep midseason is a risky move.
Better to let him mature during the season at Toro Rosso.
I have no doubt he'll drive for RedBull next season. No doubt whatsoever.

Then why not replace Gasly with Kvyat? Well, even though Kvyat would manage sufficiently i think,
and surely be better than Gasly, he'd only be keeping the seat warm for half a season and Toro Rosso
will miss out on a very experienced and stable driver.

Last but not least, Gasly might have some clause in his contract to prevent something happens to him
like has happened with Kvyat a few seasons ago and get demoted back to Toro Rosso.
If that is the case, then that means ditching Gasly means putting Albon/Kvyat in his seat,
but also needs to fill a Toro Rosso seat mid-season.

Gasly should be thankful. He's proven to not be capable to drive for a top team.
They obviously believe in Gasly, what about switching Gasly and Kvyat for the remainder of this season?
They give Gasly a breather and time to pull his head together and also get a measure for Albon.

For next season they can decide between 3 known quantities then. I think Gasly may well come good later, but don't know I would risk him in the boss team
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

selvam_e2002

RB will not replace Gasly with Kvyat. They won't do that because of Max status in RB.

I believe they will stick with Gassly till end of this year F1 season.

They may replace with Vettel in 2020 because, Max will not be there after 2020, he may go either Ferrari,Merc or Mclaren. He won't stick with RB beyond 2020.

Why Vettel? If Max leaves RB, who will replace Max? they need experience driver for 2021 to suggest and provide information on car development. They cannot put Albon nor Kvyat.

I also doubt they will go with Hulk. If max stays >2020 then RB may think of bringing HULK else no way.

Jolle

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 15:08
RB will not replace Gasly with Kvyat. They won't do that because of Max status in RB.

They may replace with Vettel in 2020 because, Max will not be there after 2020, he may go either Ferrari,Merc or Mclaren. He won't stick with RB beyond 2020.

Why Vettel? If Max leaves RB, who will replace Max? they need experience driver for 2021 to suggest and provide information on car development. They cannot put Albon nor Kvyat.

I also doubt they will go with Hulk. If max stays >2020 then RB may think of bringing HULK else no way.
VER to Mclaren? Nah. He goes to Mercedes or stays at RedBull. Ferrari has Leclerc. And why would VER have something against KVY next to him? I don’t think VER has an option or a say in who sits in the second RedBull

Big Tea

selvam_e2002 wrote:

It is probably time to consider if Max would think of leaving RBR.
This car is looking more and more like the one to be in so often. There was also a whisper not that long ago of Merc leaving,was there not? So a fast improving car that he knows in a team that is staying and has built around him, v a car that is slightly better right now with an entrenched top driver and may be thinking of packing up?

Worth careful consideration, it is not the cert it was last year

Pyrone89

Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 15:17
selvam_e2002 wrote:

This car is looking more and more like the one to be in so often. There was also a whisper not that long ago of Merc leaving,was there not? So a fast improving car that he knows in a team that is staying and has built around him, v a car that is slightly better right now with an entrenched top driver and may be thinking of packing up?

I believe Toto Wolf comfirmed a few weeks ago Merc is staying til 2025 the least
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Big Tea

Pyrone89 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 20:50
Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 15:17
selvam_e2002 wrote:

I believe Toto Wolf comfirmed a few weeks ago Merc is staying til 2025 the least
Did he not have his 'new' boss with him this week?
I hope they stay, but it will be decided in a boardroom by people who have no attachment to the team and most car makers seem to be suffering for sales this year. Even if they only want to 'appear' to be doing something about it they would not hesitate. (same goes for Renault too)

I hope they stay but would not put my house on it (or job without careful consideration if I were Max)

Manoah2u

Mercedes will stay a while still after 2021. But, it remains to be seen whether they can keep their dominance. Matter of fact, the last races show they're actually losing their dominance or have already lost it. Both Ferrari and RedBull have beaten them in several areas this season, and from both of those, RedBull is still much more on the rise than Ferrari.
Honda has still a lot to improve and find with their engine, whereas Ferrari has less 'space' as development wise they are quite ahead of Honda, BUT having Honda already that close around despite having a defecit, then i'd say they have more room to improve and as such, more potential.
Add to that the fact that the RedBull chassis must be better than the Ferrari/Mercedes as they have a power defecit, then it looks like the better cards on the table are going to be those of RedBull in the short future. It's even more impressive if you concider that despite Ferrari very certainly having a better driver pairing than RedBull - after all, Vettel and Leclerc is without a single doubt a stronger pairing than Verstappen and Gasly - but RedBull is right on their heels, then again, there seems little reason or logic for Verstappen to trade RedBull for Mercedes.

Also, i'm confident there is no way Vettel is going to return to RedBull. RedBull has achieved their goals before with Vettel and that chapter has been completed. They have aimed in besting a certain amount of stats with Verstappen, so their focus will be on Verstappen, so there is no room for Vettel, as his driver 'character' doesn't fit the 'wingman' formula they are building.

Previously, the big question mark regarding Verstappen was whether Honda and RedBull are able to provide him with a WDC capable car.
I think it's growing particularly clear that they are definately capable of giving him just that and perhaps as early as next season.

Which thus takes Max completely out of the seat shuffle equation.

I don't expect anything to change at Mercedes or Ferrari next year even though Vettel fell through bad recently. I still expect Vettel to give it one last try with Ferrari in 2020.
So again, no reason to expect any change at the top 3 teams except for Gasly @ RedBull.

Racer X

RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ