Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

loner wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 15:09
dren wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 14:39
I have a feeling Alonso is sniffing around RBR and Mercedes.
- They say in Italy that Fernando Alonso has options to occupy the seat of Pierre Gasly ... - Helmut Marko: "No"
https://twitter.com/movistar_f1/status/ ... 0146114561
Lol, there's no conceivable reason Red Bull would take Fernando is there, but it's too much of a fun idea not to play around with it. Well, probably he'd sell a lot of extra cans I suppose...

loner

no fun more than Marko face when she asked him .. priceless :lol:
para bellum.

Wynters

Big Tea wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 23:24
I think this is where the problem comes from. After one more year with Williams, I think Mercedes is expecting Russell to be ready. So it is do or die for Ocon next year
If Russel is the plan, I think Mercedes should keep Bottas. Why risk the disruption of having two seasons back-to-back with having to adjust to a new driver, a new driver having to adjust to the team and the car and Hamilton being the only one who can be relied upon to bring back decent points until they get up to speed and provide development feedback? If Russell is as good as he seems to be, I'd keep Bottas an extra year (he'd enjoy it more than he would free wheeling around the back in the Williams), make the most of his experience and continuity and then just slot Russell in.

NathanOlder

Agreed,

I think in a perfect Mercedes world,

Ocon comes in for Bottas next year, Lewis signs a 1yr extension to see how 2021 goes. Williams catch the midfield so Russell is more than happy to do 2020 ans 2021 at Williams.

Lewis retires an 8 time world Champion, Ocon learns a lot having 2 years next to Lewis. In 2022, Ocon is now team leader with Russell joining him after 3 years at Williams.

Mercedes have 2 quality young drivers who they brought through their junior program and continue to win.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ubuysa

dren wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 14:39
I have a feeling Alonso is sniffing around RBR and Mercedes.
I can't see any of the top three teams wanting Alonso. His ego is too big and his tendency to micro-manage the team makes him too hot to handle. Since I doubt he'd come back except in a winning team, I think he's done in F1.

Pyrone89

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 09:42
Agreed,

I think in a perfect Mercedes world,

Ocon comes in for Bottas next year, Lewis signs a 1yr extension to see how 2021 goes. Williams catch the midfield so Russell is more than happy to do 2020 ans 2021 at Williams.

Lewis retires an 8 time world Champion, Ocon learns a lot having 2 years next to Lewis. In 2022, Ocon is now team leader with Russell joining him after 3 years at Williams.

Mercedes have 2 quality young drivers who they brought through their junior program and continue to win.
In a perfect Mercedes world, Hamilton becomes 8 times WDC, then retires, they poach Verstappen and beat Hamiltons records with him with Russel as his teammate.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Manoah2u

There will be no world where Mercedes will be 16 times in a row WCC and WDC, as F1 would have been left by Ferrari, RedBull, etc. etc. by a mile then, which would mean, F1 would no longer be F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pyrone89

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 12:08
There will be no world where Mercedes will be 16 times in a row WCC and WDC, as F1 would have been left by Ferrari, RedBull, etc. etc. by a mile then, which would mean, F1 would no longer be F1.
Wasnt saying it was a perfect F1 world.

izzy

we know Lewis has actually talked to Toto about driving for Ferrari at some point, so depending on their car and Charles and everything, that has to be one of the scenarios for 2021 or 2022. Toto has to be trying to cover for that, ideally with Max. What are Jos and Max saying to him??

Anyway that imo steers Ocon to ze French team

NathanOlder

why turn to Max when you can win with yiur own junior program
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 15:55
sorry to say but none of the young drivers comes near the likes of Verstappen, not Ocon, not Russel, not Norris.
and you can bash me for that, downvote me hell even ban me but thats my honest opinion

Big Tea

Capharol wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:27
NathanOlder wrote:
sorry to say but none of the young drivers comes near the likes of Verstappen, not Ocon, not Russel, not Norris.
and you can bash me for that, downvote me hell even ban me but thats my honest opinion
While I mostly agree, I would add 'yet' to that. Max has/had straight out of the box speed and corners and is growing in race craft. Any of the young drivers could be capable of reaching the same place Max is, but take a while to get there, but it depends if Max has moved on by then and is even better with experience.
The racing could be very good not far down the line, depending on regs,teams, and stewards.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

Capharol wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
It's strange you say that. Verstappen is in his 5th year. Driven 1 season in mid field car and has been driving in a top 3 team for 4th season now. Has gone through a great deal of painful learning. To the extent that, there is a website, http://hasverstappencrashedyet.nl/, which was created to insinuate his driving. A year back, we would have been discussing failed promise of his talent.

Whereas, Leclerc hard earned his seat with some stellar performances in a mid field Sauber. Has already shown he can battle hard with immense speed. Ocon drove a decent Force India for one full season. Hardly fair to compare them. Let the time decide what is their real worth when they go head and tong against each other with right equipment.

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:20
Capharol wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
It's strange you say that. Verstappen is in his 5th year. Driven 1 season in mid field car and has been driving in a top 3 team for 4th season now. Has gone through a great deal of painful learning. To the extent that, there is a website, http://hasverstappencrashedyet.nl/, which was created to insinuate his driving. A year back, we would have been discussing failed promise of his talent.

Whereas, Leclerc hard earned his seat with some stellar performances in a mid field Sauber. Has already shown he can battle hard with immense speed. Ocon drove a decent Force India for one full season. Hardly fair to compare them. Let the time decide what is their real worth when they go head and tong against each other with right equipment.
2015 Verstappen hard earned his RB seat. And he did not mention Leclerc because he shows potential. I do think it is too early to judge Norris and Russel. But Ocon has already shown to be a very good sub-top driver at best judging by how he compared with Perez and Wehrlein.

Dazed1

Capharol wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Verstappen's also.