Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GrayGreat

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Ferrari will grow tired of Vettel's unforced errors under pressure (ala Singapore 2017, France 2018 and possibly more to come) which will cost them the championship and will get someone who can handle Ferrari's pressure, Alonso.

Jolle

If Alonso skips next year to do other stuff and McLaren can’t get Ricciardo, how about a lucrative deal with Räikkönen? To keep their WC in a McLaren appeal for the potential sponsors.

PlatinumZealot

langwadt wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 13:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 02:11
Give Perez a one year contract at Ferrari and Leclerc will do a year at Sauber which will be a faster car than the Haas nect year due to new Ferrari parts.
wouldn't Haas get the same new Ferrari parts?
Yes, but Sauber is better at setup. And Sauber chassis should be very good next year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ted68

Never going to happen, but I wish McLaren would just go ahead and change the team from the top down. Bring in a pair like Flavio Briatore and Ben Bowlby to build a team around Danny Ric, with a second driver like Sergio Perez. Send Brown and Alonso on their way with a completely separate Indy division, but get the F1 side focused on F1/P1 only.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

djos

I don't see Dan moving now, the noises he's making atm strongly indicate he just wants to be recognised for his worth.
"In downforce we trust"

adrianjordan

Ted68 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 06:39
Never going to happen, but I wish McLaren would just go ahead and change the team from the top down. Bring in a pair like Flavio Briatore and Ben Bowlby to build a team around Danny Ric, with a second driver like Sergio Perez. Send Brown and Alonso on their way with a completely separate Indy division, but get the F1 side focused on F1/P1 only.
Flavio Briatore has no place in F1 after 2008, let alone any place near Mclaren.

I agree, to an extent, about a top-down shake up, but FB is not the man and I think Zak Brown needs to be given more time yet.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Schuttelberg

GrayGreat wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 16:34
Ferrari will grow tired of Vettel's unforced errors under pressure (ala Singapore 2017, France 2018 and possibly more to come) which will cost them the championship and will get someone who can handle Ferrari's pressure, Alonso.
Yes, we all saw how the cookie crumbled under pressure in 2010 and 2012. It's okay to be critical of Seb because he's made errors in back to back championships but quite another to disrespect a four time world champion.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

On a different tangent, is it just me or is there anyone else here who sees a lot of value in Magnussen? I think he's experienced and fast and just 25. May be I just love his out and out ballsy old school character. :D
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

NathanOlder

Schuttelberg wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 08:52
GrayGreat wrote:
Yes, we all saw how the cookie crumbled under pressure in 2010 and 2012. It's okay to be critical of Seb because he's made errors in back to back championships but quite another to disrespect a four time world champion.
2010 he was the outsider/underdog even going in to the final race. The pressure was on the others.

2012 in Brazil he was immense under pressure though and pulled off an amazing recovery in that bomb proof car.

I have to say, Vettel gas cracked under pressure far more than I expected at Ferrari. Thats probably down to the pressures of driving the prancing horse compared to the RedBull.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GrayGreat

Schuttelberg wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:
First of all, I was not being disrespectful, in fact I am rooting for Vettel for this year's championship. Second, I only stated a fact, and that is, Vettel has made mistakes which probably cost him the '17 title. Third, you cannot compare '10 and '12 seasons to '17 and '18. The pressure of being in a championship fight while driving for Ferrari is enormous as compared to RedBull.

Big Tea

Schuttelberg wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 08:53
On a different tangent, is it just me or is there anyone else here who sees a lot of value in Magnussen? I think he's experienced and fast and just 25. May be I just love his out and out ballsy old school character. :D
I think he is a very good 'number 2 driver' very much in the Button mold.

Good to be coupled with someone like Max to bring home constant points with little risk.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

GrayGreat wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:10
Schuttelberg wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:
First of all, I was not being disrespectful, in fact I am rooting for Vettel for this year's championship. Second, I only stated a fact, and that is, Vettel has made mistakes which probably cost him the '17 title. Third, you cannot compare '10 and '12 seasons to '17 and '18. The pressure of being in a championship fight while driving for Ferrari is enormous as compared to RedBull.
Better to have the driver throw away the championship through minute mistakes (Vettel) than have your team do it through strategy (Alonso x3).

Phil

I’m fairly confident Dan will stay at RB, but is using the link to McLaren as a negotiation tactic.

Kimi and Bottas may be wanted too, especially at McLaren, due to some of the insight knowledge they bring with them. In the end though, im confident Alonso will leave F1 and McLaren may offer Kimi a 2 year deal. That will put Stoffel on the market, as they might put norris in the car too.

The free seat at Ferrari will probably go to Charles who will give Vettel a run. I think Mercedes will also keep Bottas for another 2 years.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:00
I’m fairly confident Dan will stay at RB, but is using the link to McLaren as a negotiation tactic.

Kimi and Bottas may be wanted too, especially at McLaren, due to some of the insight knowledge they bring with them. In the end though, im confident Alonso will leave F1 and McLaren may offer Kimi a 2 year deal. That will put Stoffel on the market, as they might put norris in the car too.

The free seat at Ferrari will probably go to Charles who will give Vettel a run. I think Mercedes will also keep Bottas for another 2 years.
I agree with the Bottas part, what could Merc have wanted from him that he has not delivered when able, except not pushing it with an overtake maybe, but i think his job it to gather points not take risks when the other car is not winning.

While all the Media et al say C L to Ferrari, I have doubts. Ferrari have always been reputation conscious and like to take drivers 'with a good CV' for publicity reasons as much as for driving ability.
If you ran a chain of dealerships, would you prefer Kimi to turn up to your promotion or Charles? (OK, excepted in his home country)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

My hunch is that other teams are interested in Charles (e.g. Mercedes, especially now that Max is off the table) to buy him out / break contract with Ferrari. This i think will force Ferrari to act sooner than later to secure their investment.

A bit like when Jos Verstappen put pressure on RB to promote Max into the big team than keep him at TR. He was able to do that because other teams were showing interest in Max. The argument there was “give Max RB a redbull seat or we will entertain offers from other teams”.

I think the same his happening with Leclerc behind the scenes. If Ferrari dont jump, they may consider other options by other interested teams. This will force them into putting Charles into that 2nd Ferrari ultimately.

My take.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter