Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

White lines GP.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

godlameroso

Cool I can see the race from my apartment provided they have it near the port. Funny I mentioned having a race here last year I think. I mentioned the port of Miami as a good location, if the race ends up there...
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

gambler wrote:
03 May 2018, 14:09
It would be a slow dog and pony show.... I don't know why they dont choose a very nice regular race circuit like VIR or Mid- ohio...(.ie smooth track surface with no manholes and fences)
On the contrary, if it's gonna be anything like Baku - which could very well be - it's gonna be just as mad and fast.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tinvek

i'm old enough to remember the F1 Long Beach Grand Prix and in a way that version of the track was similar to Baku, a long wide straight, mostly tight corners and some gradient changes, somehow i can't see Miami managing the gradients but they could manage a decent long straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvUp9CUzKk

Justthatek

Boring another street circuit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bblundell72

I figured they would run around Bayside Marketplace and Dodge Island. I may have to take a trip down to Miami again it happens next year.

godlameroso

Lots of construction means they can't go through Bayside any more. AAA arena has some nice curves around the periphery. The port is really the only place they can logistically hold the race. The most important thing is not shutting down the main street in downtown and implementing a good plan to re-route traffic. A race like this could be a very good thing for all parties involved but it takes careful planning, and as a long time resident of Miami, I will only say that someone will be picking up the slack on that end.

And as far as street races go, Baku has become a model race, yes the track is probably not incredible to hot lap on, but as far as racing goes, it really does promote good racing. I hope they take that direction with whatever they plan here.

Instead of blocking off bayside, it should use more of the port, go around the AAA and then right back across the port, you can extend the track with this fun little bit. The only question mark is where to put the pits.

Saishū kōnā

FelixAustria

here's a map picturing the harbour area indicating the likely track: https://twitter.com/kenrussellmiami/sta ... 92/photo/1

Layout looks bit like Baku, lots of 90° corners, long straights and two hairpins. Track leading twice over the bridge looks appealing though. Liberty seems to be serious about Miami, it's already on the temporary season calendar of 2019.

FW17

If they are going to have the pit building in the parking lot opposite the basketball stadium, it is going to be incredibly short in length at just 200m, It will be cramped like in Monaco

graham.reeds

Does anyone know what the road surface is like? Is it smooth or rough? How much roadside furniture will need to be padded/removed?

godlameroso

They just finished construction in that area, the roads are wide and pristine, I drive there daily. It's moderately rough textured but overall smooth.

Here's my idea for the track.

This one has a bit of everything, high speed, low speed, tricky breaking sections long flat out sections. DRS on those bridges is going to be mental :twisted: With a total length of 5.1km, lap time will be in the high 1:20's low 1:30's.

This way you have access to Bayside, you close a minimum of a major road and reduce the traffic impact, you're close to a place you can park all the motor homes etc. It minimizes disruption to the port, they would only need to sacrifice 2 terminals, and move operations temporarily.

It leaves plenty of run-off for the braking zones, and we can have a figure 8 layout with left turns in Miami, and right turns over the port. One or two curbs would have to be modified to leave the minimum width needed for a circuit, but I think this is a good layout that is a real challenge for the drivers. The port hairpin would be very interesting, with the layout of the turn requiring some run off, it would be a funnel turn, where the radius increases while the road width decreases.

The high curbs will force drivers to be precise on the run to the stadium even though it's a high speed section. Paint should be used to highlight the dimensions of the curbs for safety reasons. The natural topography of the circuit will limit speeds to reasonable amounts, but not boringly slow either. It also allows the required run off areas.

In this version the pit speed limit would be right after the U-turn so would add an extra challenge, as the pit entry becomes a semi corner where drivers can lose or gain time.

The rich people can watch the race from the cruise ships.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

FelixAustria wrote:
05 May 2018, 18:41
here's a map picturing the harbour area indicating the likely track: https://twitter.com/kenrussellmiami/sta ... 92/photo/1

Layout looks bit like Baku, lots of 90° corners, long straights and two hairpins. Track leading twice over the bridge looks appealing though. Liberty seems to be serious about Miami, it's already on the temporary season calendar of 2019.
There's absolutely zero chance the circuit looks like that. For one, that hairpin doesn't exist in real life, they would have to demolish a 2 meter concrete divider and re-pave it. Also you're completely closing off access to Bayside.
Saishū kōnā

FW17

godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2018, 17:51
FelixAustria wrote:

There's absolutely zero chance the circuit looks like that. For one, that hairpin doesn't exist in real life, they would have to demolish a 2 meter concrete divider and re-pave it. Also you're completely closing off access to Bayside.
There is a tunnel to access

but i like this better

Zynerji

FW17 wrote:
08 May 2018, 18:05
godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2018, 17:51
FelixAustria wrote:

There is a tunnel to access

but i like this better

https://i.imgur.com/dBrNDTV.jpg
Love it! How long tho? 8km?