Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
VARIANT | one

Re: Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

I'm up in Tampa these days. My body is ready.

FW17

Revised layout after the public park issue

The city voting next week for a long term contract

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00266

Just_a_fan

Looks like a low downforce track with 8 low speed corners and 2 that might be interesting. Stop-start racing. Got to say it looks like a dull track.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

It needs something half way up the straight as a minimum. Seems in the same mold as the E prix this weekend, which was the most boring I have ever watched
( or rather fast forwarded through much of )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

That long parallel section will ensure lots of passing.

/s
Last edited by roon on 20 Jul 2018, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Sure, but it'll be DRS passing with no chance to defend, especially if they double DRS it. Indeed, if it's double DRS, the wise driver will wait for the second straight to pass, having used DRS to get real close on approach to the double left.

If it is as easy to pass as suggested then it will, as I said, be a dull track.

strad

Looks like a low downforce track with 8 low speed corners and 2 that might be interesting. Stop-start racing. Got to say it looks like a dull track.
Over the years there have been many attempts at racing in the Miami area and IMO they have all been a flop so I don't expect anything better now.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

Having lived there, those corners are much faster than they look, all they have to do is widen the road about 2 meters. This isn't bad, and having the track pass by the Amphitheatre is a nice touch. I'd say Hockenheim levels of downforce.
Saishū kōnā

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 01:00
Sure, but it'll be DRS passing with no chance to defend, especially if they double DRS it. Indeed, if it's double DRS, the wise driver will wait for the second straight to pass, having used DRS to get real close on approach to the double left.

Dull? But there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of passes per race upon that track. The masses spoke, and they have been duly rewarded. [-o< /s
Last edited by roon on 20 Jul 2018, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 03:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 01:00

Dull? But there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of passes per race upon that track. The masses spoke, and they have been duly rewarded. [-o<
Meh. :cry:

godlameroso

Looks like it won't be happening next year.
Saishū kōnā

strad

WHAT? L.M. said they would wave the 30 million. :? LOL
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe

godlameroso wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 00:52
Looks like it won't be happening next year.
Why, what is the holdup for 2019?

There is apparently some kind of final city council vote on July 26, but no clear indication of the city council changing their minds.

There are outstanding lawsuits about noise from area residents. Why this relatively fierce local opposition? The quiet-loving rich folks in Monaco seem to love their race, so what local Miami political dynamic is causing the "Say No to F1" campaign?

godlameroso

I don't know mostly they're worried about how it's going to affect traffic and what construction is needed in order to build the track as proposed. Some parts will be easier than others to make, for instance in order for the track to go through Bayside and Bayfront Park will require digging up land and laying down race track, no way around it. Some places are too narrow and this alone takes a lot of planning and bureaucracy. The Port of Miami section won't be so easy to create either because the road as proposed does not exist, luckily that area is a lot more flexible with regards to what can be done but it's still a planning and bureaucratic nightmare. Miami is a very laid back big city, and the way the local government works reflects that, things get done properly, as long as the time schedule is flexible.

My guess is that for things to work out the way everyone intends is going to require a little more time than one year, and I'm ok with that frankly.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

And there we go...

https://racer.com/2018/07/23/f1-pushes- ... east-2020/

Race delayed until 2020 at the earliest. Oddly, there appears to be confusion about whether the state of Florida will be asked to cough up money. Odd because seems very late to start the necessary lobbying, etc. for that.

When Austin was first announced, that group of people (or at least Tavo Helmund) already had all their political ducks in a row. Fighting commenced within the group, but State of Texas was already lined up to pay.