2018 Azerbaijan GP - Verstappen, Ricciardo clash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Starscreamer

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan GP - Verstappen, Ricciardo clash

WTF is VES i only know VER
First year Max took some crashes and its Crashtappen???
Back to STR ??? I think Max is the best that RedBull can have.
Raw speed he is better then Daniel.
Give this guy (only 20) some time and you will a see he become better the everyone else.
Max is the best gift F1 get in 2015
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

darkpino

That’s exactly what I meant. You guys can only come up with facts from season 2018. Max his career is a lot longer then those four races and even much longer than his 3 years (fourth this year) in the F1.

Like I said: I’m the first to say Max is not doing his job right now in the F1 but the way some are roasting him here right now is completely overdone

sosic2121

Starscreamer wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:15
Give this guy (only 20) some time and you will a see he become better the everyone else.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on many of your points.

Since he became a RB driver, it easier to count races without incidents with him involved, then those with.

He has shown that he often(not always) has slight advantage in speed over Ricciardo, but he's making far more mistakes. IMO he's driving 100% all the time, Ricciardo is not.

I would gladly give him some time in GP2, and bring him when he's ready and bit more matured. He would have much better chance of reaching his full potential that way. Maybe becoming one of the best ever.

Best gift for F1? IMHO nothing is further from the truth(I am a ferrari fan, so might not be totally objective).

As I said before, I don't blame all the bad things on Max. I blame it on FIA and RB!

And you, as a Max Verstappen fan, you surly realise this is not the way to become a successful F1 driver and WDC.

XRayF1

You are right. You should not judge one by a few recent races.

BUT ... and there is a big 'but' - with other drivers RB and especially Marko were not very tactful in their decision making.
And sometime even harsh and quick. Speed, Vergne, Bourdais, Buemi, were released with not much fanfare, RB claiming that they were not quick enough.
What makes VER so special to RB?

While I admit that in retrospect VER was a definite improvement over any of them, this can only be said with 20/20 hindsight.
Setting free, or better demoting a young driver like Kvyat can only result in less good results.

VER is very talented, but he currently crashes his F1 car like being in an autodrome ... or so it appears.
Costing much money, time and frustration.
He also seems rather beyond reproach and does not amend his ways. In any way. Not even slightly.
This being the main reason for me not being a fan of him.

bucker

XRayF1 wrote:
07 May 2018, 13:29
You are right. You should not judge one by a few recent races.

BUT ... and there is a big 'but' - with other drivers RB and especially Marko were not very tactful in their decision making.
And sometime even harsh and quick. Speed, Vergne, Bourdais, Buemi, were released with not much fanfare, RB claiming that they were not quick enough.
What makes VER so special to RB?

While I admit that in retrospect VER was a definite improvement over any of them, this can only be said with 20/20 hindsight.
Setting free, or better demoting a young driver like Kvyat can only result in less good results.

VER is very talented, but he currently crashes his F1 car like being in an autodrome ... or so it appears.
Costing much money, time and frustration.
He also seems rather beyond reproach and does not amend his ways. In any way. Not even slightly.
This being the main reason for me not being a fan of him.
VER became famous because of his talent and young age when he came to F1. Media was around him all the time. He has his own orange tribunes on several circuits, his own shop in Netherland, F1 app, etc., so it is quite obvious that for Red Bull he is money maker. Kvyat wasn't so good when it came to marketing.

Andres125sx

Starscreamer wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:15
First year some crashes?

What´s been his longest period without a crash? Fair question, I don´t know and maybe I´m confused due to his start of 2018 season, so if you may enlighten me I will change my opinion :)

Andres125sx

darkpino wrote:
07 May 2018, 09:51
But to say he’s crashing every two races just because he had a hard season start? That’s a bridge too far for me, he has to change but he didn’t suddenly become some kind of crasher
I said every two GPs, not races wich is different, and if you analyse 2018, he actually crash more than once each two GPs :wink:

Andres125sx

darkpino wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:59

Like I said: I’m the first to say Max is not doing his job right now in the F1 but the way some are roasting him here right now is completely overdone
This is a F1 forum where we analyse F1, so if he crash, we talk about that

If you don´t like us talking about Max crashing so often ask him to not crash so often :P

George-Jung

Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:26
darkpino wrote:
But to say he’s crashing every two races just because he had a hard season start? That’s a bridge too far for me, he has to change but he didn’t suddenly become some kind of crasher
I said every two GPs, not races wich is different, and if you analyse 2018, he actually crash more than once each two GPs :wink:
So does Marquez.. 8)
Some riders/drivers are more on the edge then others- I guess?

Sieper

This is actually the topic to talk about the crash between Ver AND Ric. Not the Ver has crashed a lot topic. It was specifically opened to talks about that.

George-Jung

Sieper wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:50
This is actually the topic to talk about the crash between Ver AND Ric. Not the Ver has crashed a lot topic. It was specifically opened to talks about that.
I agree. :wink:

Andres125sx

George-Jung wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:46
Andres125sx wrote:
darkpino wrote:
So does Marquez.. 8)
Yes both are aggressive drivers/riders, but Marquez DNF one of four, while Max DNF two of four. Marquez lead his championship while Max is below his team mate, one McLaren and one Renault (ignoring the faster cars), so not that both situations are comparable I guess

Actually it´s a good comparison about how aggressiveness can be good if you know how and when to apply it, or bad if you don´t :mrgreen:

edit: I like your new avatar, he looks like a comedian more than the leader of the most powerful country in the world :lol:

George-Jung

Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2018, 18:40
George-Jung wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:46
Andres125sx wrote:

So does Marquez.. 8)
Yes both are aggressive drivers/riders, but Marquez DNF one of four, while Max DNF two of four. Marquez lead his championship while Max is below his team mate, one McLaren and one Renault (ignoring the faster cars), so not that both situations are comparable I guess

Actually it´s a good comparison about how aggressiveness can be good if you know how and when to apply it, or bad if you don´t :mrgreen:
My apologies, I thought you said GP’s- not races.

Marquez is indeed a true champion, no doubt! But lets not forget the couple of incidents he had in Argentina this year.

Phil

Max is still young. Very young. Much of his speed and potential comes from the fact that he pretty much races fearless, without hesitation and with a sense of entitlement. Attributes that the best have in them. That includes Schumacher, Senna, even Hamilton and others.

On one hand, this makes him perhaps dangerous, prone to errors, crashing too, but it also makes him fast.

Dislike him or not, but you have to admire his confidence. He crashed in Baku FP1, but no sooner was he back in the car and he was already kissing the walls again, driving at and over the limit, when perhaps other drivers would have suffered, driven more careful, but at the expense of outright speed and confidence. Not Max. He’s been involved in more crashes and incidents than any other driver this season so far, yet he still lost no fraction of the determination and ruthlesness that makes him who he is.

At some point, every driver matures up. They learn to play the “long game”, choose their battles more wisely, commit to calculated risks when potential reward outweighs potential loss. Hamilton has learned that, needed to, especially in 2014 when finding himself in a championship winning car and behind his sole contending team-mate. Compare that to 2011 when Hamilton was involved in numerous incidents.

Max will too, but right now, his unrelenting self belief and little consideration for others on track is what gives him his edge and speed. Enjoy it while it lasts. He is driving right now like someone who has little to lose and all to gain. Dangerous, yes, but fast too. Over time he will lose some of that edge. They all do, eventually, but what will be lost there will be gained in maturity and experience.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

George-Jung

Good post Phil.

I would like to add something NathanOlder said some days ago;

Max hasn’t got any experience like others- for example Hamilton- in junior series.

It’s a valid point Nathan made there, because lets not forget as well; Max is learning to drive Formula cars in F1.. not in several junior series like others have before him.

Only one year in F3.

Perhaps too soon, perhaps not- but Marko saw something.. and the rest is history.