Minor regulation change to make the car look better

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GM7

Minor regulation change to make the car look better

This is how a 2019 F1 car will look like :

To be honest the 2018 cars look good even with the halo but some little changes could make them even more good looking.

First, change the T-Cam and remove all the useless cameras like the shoulder cam for example, due to the halo. Look how the T-Cam is big in F1 compare to Formula E for example, it could be a lot more inconspicuous.

Secondly, the nose and the front wing neutral section. The front wing neutral section is quite useless so why not removing it, or elevating it to be a part of the nose cone.

Last but not least, add a windscreen to the Halo.

This is how these changes could look on a 2019 car :

If you have some ideas about little changes to make the cars look better, feel free to share your opinion and i will change the photoshop to try your ideas

DiogoBrand

Re: Minor regulation change to make the car look better

Since when is the neutral section useless? AFAIK it generates downforce using ground effect.
That vertical hoop cam is uglier than the T cam.
Windscreens won't happen anytime soon because Sebastian Vettel.

GM7

DiogoBrand wrote:
23 May 2018, 21:37
Since when is the neutral section useless? AFAIK it generates downforce using ground effect.
This is why i've said "quite useless" and not "useless", the downforce gains are very poor compare to the rest of the front wing.

That's your opinion but the actual look of the T-cam is hideous to me, the more it will be inconspicuous the best it will be.

All the windscreen test are looking good at the moment, Dixon had some air flow issues but the problem has been resolved near totally with the Newgarden test this month. A tear off system has been test succesfully and the next test will be in an urban circuit and then under the rain. It will clearly not be integrate in F1 for 2019 but why not for 2021.

jjn9128

Looks good. Basically a 2019 Indycar though innit :lol: . I never liked the T-cams the offset irritates me.
DiogoBrand wrote:
23 May 2018, 21:37
I mean the clue is in the title, "neutral section" it's supposed to be aerodynamically neutral to minimize the downforce lost in a wake.

F1 fans can be such conspiracy theorists. The screen Vettel disliked was a thin wobbly double compound poorly implemented piece of rubbish which made him feel sick. Ricciardo tested the aeroscreen - but it failed the FIA tests. The Indycar screen would also fail the tests.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

roon

GM7 wrote:
23 May 2018, 21:32
The front wing neutral section is quite useless ...
It's currently used to hold ballast. It's a pretty good location for it.

Otherwise, I like the idea of joining the wings to the nose directly. Reminds me of the Jordan 191. How about a full width rear wing to match the front?

zac510

I agree with reducing the size of the T-cam; camera sizes have shrunk since that was invented.

wrt to the bodywork changes, I think F1 should only make small changes at a time so that it can be more adaptable to aerodynamic trends and adaptable to when the teams find loopholes in the rules.

DiogoBrand

About the cameras, if they'd wanna change anything, why not then just integrate it directly into the airbox, so there might just be a tiny camera in front of the roll hoop, which would be barely visible with the body around it, pretty much like Newey hid the nose cameras inside the vanity panel in the RB10.
jjn9128 wrote:
23 May 2018, 22:21
I mean the clue is in the title, "neutral section" it's supposed to be aerodynamically neutral to minimize the downforce lost in a wake.

F1 fans can be such conspiracy theorists. The screen Vettel disliked was a thin wobbly double compound poorly implemented piece of rubbish which made him feel sick. Ricciardo tested the aeroscreen - but it failed the FIA tests. The Indycar screen would also fail the tests.
With the rake that most teams are using and its proximity to the ground I can guarantee you that it is not neutral, and it isn't there to negate the effects of wake, but rather to allow air to flow below the nose and around the car to make the rear end aero work better.

And of course Vettel would never say anything to try and gain an advantage, it's obvious that the halo mounted mirrors massively improved visibility, and it wasn't just an attempt to get away with an aerodynamic advantage that motivated him to say that.

My point being: F1 drivers and team employees never say anything in regards to regulations that they don't think will help their team.

Just_a_fan

DiogoBrand wrote:
24 May 2018, 01:21
With the rake that most teams are using and its proximity to the ground I can guarantee you that it is not neutral, and it isn't there to negate the effects of wake, but rather to allow air to flow below the nose and around the car to make the rear end aero work better.
The neutral section was brought in by the FIA to try to get over the effect of the car being in the wake of another car. At the time, the central part of the wake made the front wing central section ineffective which meant no close following by the car behind. That is why it is there.

Now, of course, the teams have found ways to make the neutral section work to provide downforce - and this is no doubt one of the reasons we are back to cars that have difficulty following each other.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

As for the thread otherwise, meh, another "this is what I think looks good so F1 should change to suit me" thread. There are plenty on F1Technical these days.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:40
As for the thread otherwise, meh, another "this is what I think looks good so F1 should change to suit me" thread. There are plenty on F1Technical these days.
Dude it's my job to be negative in these threads :lol: The difference is GM7 mocked it up and it looks pretty good. It's not the usual "we need ground effect" crap.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

DiogoBrand

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:40
It's either "F1 need to change because I find the cars ugly" or "F1 needs to change because I don't find it exciting". There was even a post about F1 going back to steel brakes on Racedepartment.

GM7

roon wrote:
23 May 2018, 22:55
Otherwise, I like the idea of joining the wings to the nose directly. Reminds me of the Jordan 191. How about a full width rear wing to match the front?
DiogoBrand wrote:
24 May 2018, 01:21
About the cameras, if they'd wanna change anything, why not then just integrate it directly into the airbox, so there might just be a tiny camera in front of the roll hoop, which would be barely visible with the body around it, pretty much like Newey hid the nose cameras inside the vanity panel in the RB10.
Some rumors in the paddock after the meeting in Monaco concerning 2021 are talking about 18 inches wheels. I mixed all these ideas, that's how it looks :

I found an onboard camera of the RS18 (In a french publicity) where the T-cam is in a central position and a little bit lower.

roon

Cool. Looks good. Wide rear wings are common on prototypes and GT cars, but I don't think they've been done in F1. (?) Maybe the exposed rear tires have made it disadvantageous.

AJI
AJI

Nice work. I like everything you've done.
I vote GM7 to chair the 'Car Prettiness Working Group'.

Manoah2u

I'm sorry but i hate this.

It's disproportionate, it looks ugly and weird. Like some alternative rejected Indy proposal.
Sorry, i am very fond of GM7's 'artistic work' and his capabilities and creativity are phenomenal,
but i can't find myself liking this in the slightest.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"